proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-01-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Parking on hills

Guys I promise I know how to drive but have a helluva time parking this car on steep hills.

Situation: On a very steep decline today (probably about 30% decline) trying to parallel park. Traction control on. I get in between the two cars but need to maneuver into place. Put it in R and press the gas and holy %#@$ I just keep rolling forward. Now I'm about 12" from the car in front of me. Put traction control in MDM and press the gas and now i'm just spinning rubber and smoking tires. Re-enable traction control and get about 3" backwards before rolling forward again. Now I'm about 9" from the car in front of me. My passenger is freaking the f out, not helping. Put it back into MDM and go really hard on the gas and tires keep slipping but slowly head backwards. Finally I get into position.

It seems traction control on wouldn't give me gas because it was sensing slip from the decline, but MDM would give me power but not properly put it down on the ground because the car wanted to just roll down the hill instead of reversing up it. I didn't fully disable traction control because I was honestly too nervous.

Am I just a terrible driver on hills or what's the ideal traction/parking protocol here on super steep hills?
      07-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #2
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsChrisM View Post

Am I just a terrible driver on hills or what's the ideal traction/parking protocol here on super steep hills?
You need a quicker foot from brake to gas pedal, or use left foot on brake while you get give it gas with your right foot to prevent it from rolling (assuming DCT) if manual use the parking brake.
Appreciate 3
      07-01-2017, 09:50 PM   #3
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space gray View Post
You need a quicker foot from brake to gas pedal, or use left foot on brake while you get give it gas with your right foot to prevent it from rolling (assuming DCT) if manual use the parking brake.
+1 You have to use brake - maybe even hand brake like with a manual transmission.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
+1 You have to use brake - maybe even hand brake like with a manual transmission.
I do exactly this quite often, especially with lots of hills here in the bay area - i'm a big utilizer of the hand brake for all occasions, and I think we probably have it a bit worse than others. I never parallel without full use of the hand brake, even when it's flat - just habit.
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410784.50
icebiker504.00
      07-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I do exactly this quite often, especially with lots of hills here in the bay area - i'm a big utilizer of the hand brake for all occasions, and I think we probably have it a bit worse than others.
Austin has lots of hills too and you have to get very proficient with the hand brake in a 6MT car, even with the "hill hold" feature.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Guys I promise I know how to drive but have a helluva time parking this car on steep hills.

Situation: On a very steep decline today (probably about 30% decline) trying to parallel park. Traction control on. I get in between the two cars but need to maneuver into place. Put it in R and press the gas and holy %#@$ I just keep rolling forward. Now I'm about 12" from the car in front of me. Put traction control in MDM and press the gas and now i'm just spinning rubber and smoking tires. Re-enable traction control and get about 3" backwards before rolling forward again. Now I'm about 9" from the car in front of me. My passenger is freaking the f out, not helping. Put it back into MDM and go really hard on the gas and tires keep slipping but slowly head backwards. Finally I get into position.

It seems traction control on wouldn't give me gas because it was sensing slip from the decline, but MDM would give me power but not properly put it down on the ground because the car wanted to just roll down the hill instead of reversing up it. I didn't fully disable traction control because I was honestly too nervous.

Lol. Should have ordered the manual. It makes the car. Who gives a shit about the duct being two tenths quicker. You're not racing, you're driving to work and the grocery store, to school and little league. The manual is the way to go in this car.
Appreciate 7
rr006rbc1204.00
AlterZgo1537.50
TI.3VOM73.50
icebiker504.00
      07-01-2017, 10:34 PM   #7
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

Quote:

I'm sorry I just had to laugh. Would love to see a video ,,,, theses cars can be somewhat difficult on hills ,, if you're trying to be a very precise ,,

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 10:43 PM   #8
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
Lol. Should have ordered the manual. It makes the car. Who gives a shit about the duct being two tenths quicker. You're not racing, you're driving to work and the grocery store, to school and little league. The manual is the way to go in this car.
No! DCT is better! No! 6MT is better! No! DCT is better! No! 6MT is better!

Ok, cool, that's out of the way, now back to the OP's question ...
Appreciate 5
      07-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #9
BEAT TX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP Alpine White

Quote:
I do exactly this quite often, especially with lots of hills here in the bay area - i'm a big utilizer of the hand brake for all occasions, and I think we probably have it a bit worse than others. I never parallel without full use of the hand brake, even when it's flat - just habit.
Agree, I use the handbrake in my DCT as if it was a manual. Very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 11:55 PM   #10
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:

Ok, cool, that's out of the way, now back to the OP's question ...
For anyone getting ready to order an M3 or M4.... there are more threads than you can count with folks crying about the constant niggles and quirks of the DCT.

Reason number next: if you want to be able to parallel park on a hill.... ORDER UP THE MANUAL!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 12:32 AM   #11
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For anyone getting ready to order an M3 or M4.... there are more threads than you can count with folks crying about the constant niggles and quirks of the DCT.
Which is exactly the threads where you should take your opinion, because the OP isn't ordering a car and already has a DCT.

The way you can tell is by reading the words in his post:

Last edited by GrussGott; 07-02-2017 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 16
      07-02-2017, 12:52 AM   #12
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OP, here's what I do (TC is on):

1.) Get the car into position, and pull hard on the e-brake with the button held in

2.) slowly release the foot brake (ensure I'm not going anywhere) and then give it some throttle until I feel it start to hook up

3.) slowly release the brake while giving it just a stitch more throttle but I always keep the button pushed in the brake slightly pulled.

Then just repeat until i'm in position. I've parked on some pretty steep hills that way without a problem and never tired it another way so not sure how it would be comparatively.

Also note that I have 'vert so you could try to get two fat buddies to sit in the trunk while you maneuver too.
Appreciate 1
JoeKixxon715.00
      07-02-2017, 01:20 AM   #13
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

My only advise to you is DONT EVER THINK of turning DCT completely off while trying to park. I promise you that an accident WILL happen.

M
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #14
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mba View Post
My only advise to you is DONT EVER THINK of turning DCT completely off while trying to park. I promise you that an accident WILL happen.

M
How do you turn the DCT off??
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #15
Lytics
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3

Quote:
How do you turn the DCT off??
I think he meant to say DSC (traction control).
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #16
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytics View Post
I think he meant to say DSC (traction control).
I knew what he meant - just pulling his chain.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 01:00 AM   #17
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

Quote:
I knew what he meant - just pulling his chain.
Sorry about that mistake. Most definitely a brain fart

M
      07-03-2017, 03:44 AM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, you have to really press the brake pedal down to activate the "hill holder" and it's only active for a few seconds. If you are releasing the brake pedal slowly you are wasting the "hill holder" time.

I would choose R or D, press firmly on the brake (activate hill holder) then assertively lift off the brake and gently roll on the throttle. You need for the dct to have the clutch engaged fully before the hill holder turns off. Also, don't mash the gas
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2017, 12:14 PM   #19
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
OP, you have to really press the brake pedal down to activate the "hill holder" and it's only active for a few seconds. If you are releasing the brake pedal slowly you are wasting the "hill holder" time.

I would choose R or D, press firmly on the brake (activate hill holder) then assertively lift off the brake and gently roll on the throttle. You need for the dct to have the clutch engaged fully before the hill holder turns off. Also, don't mash the gas
How hard you press the brake pedal is not a factor. The car simply has to be completely stopped. Doesn't matter whether the car is a DCT or 6MT. From the manual:
Drive-off assistant
This system supports driving off on inclines.
The parking brake is not required.

1. Hold the vehicle in place with the foot brake.
2. Release the foot brake and drive off without delay.

After the foot brake is released, the vehicle is held in place for approx. 2 seconds.
Depending on the vehicle load or when a trailer is used, the vehicle may roll back slightly.

Driving off without delay
After releasing the foot brake, start driving without delay, since the drive-off assistant will not hold the vehicle in place for more than
approx. 2 seconds and the vehicle will begin to roll back.◀
All of this is unnecessary however, if you just drive (and park) the car as if it were a manual, using the parking brake, with the button held in, to hold it on a hill. This has absolutely no effect on the DCT. If a DCT is in gear but the car is motionless, both clutch packs are disengaged and the car acts just like a manual transmission car that is in neutral, or with the clutch disengaged.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #20
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

When done correctly with the use of the hand brake, why would it matter whether the DSC is on or off? The tires should have enough traction to climb the hill. If there is traction problem when wet, start in 2nd gear. No?

The only problem I found when driving in SFO in my DCT is with the auto on/off. It messes up my timing to move onto the throttle pedal after stopping on a hill. It probably shouldn't matter either, but subconsciously I hesitate whenever hearing the cranking. After turning it off, had no problem driving off or parallel parking.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #21
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post

The only problem I found when driving in SFO in my DCT is with the auto on/off.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #22
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

It takes practice. I had some challenges when parking at the local vape shop, but I think I finally mastered it.