EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CENTRAL/SOUTH AMERICA

12-18-2019, 09:33 PM   #2729
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Lups Arcades

things slowing down around here, huh?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 11:15 PM   #2730
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok cool, then nobody will mind if I crap up the thread with some pics - We went to Tokyo for 2 weeks in late October just in time for the largest typhoon since 1957 ... except that death and destruction it was pretty fun!

Of course we stopped at Tokyo BMW pretty much every day:

Our room had a pretty kick-ass view of Mt Fuji

And every night we did happy hour with a killer view

I think you're only supposed to take one, but we're fat Americans so they let it slide - we're used to pity so we didn't feel any shame

It really was a kickass view - here's what it was like at the windows:

This guy made my martinis - after a few days they knew our orders

Here's Tokyo City Hall just to the left of picture above

And the park across the street from it was pretty cool

Around town we saw temples

and $86 cantaloupes - those watermelons were like $60 ... we bought some $15 grapes and they were honestly worth it: each one tasted like a bottle of wine

But a lot of it was wack-a-doodle

I'm glad we went before the Olympics - it was super awesome!

Hope all is well with everyone!

Last edited by GrussGott; 12-18-2019 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
Arcades8163.50
minn1914021.00
      12-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #2731
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Lups Arcades

things slowing down around here, huh?
Yup. Pretty much.

Mostly normal stuff from what I can tell. Lup's kids are still weird and crazy, nothing new on my end aside from car learning.

Could be worse, could be better. Democrats have no backbone, Republicans are utter IRONIC morons which makes me care even less for the government. Nothing new.

BMW Tokyo looks cool. Have you been traveling or whats up?
minn1914021.00
      12-19-2019, 10:21 PM   #2732
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Yup. Pretty much.
nothing new on my end aside from car learning.
Have you been traveling or whats up?
Yeah, been doing a lot of traveling and strategery - we're thinking of making some big lifestyle changes, possibly moving to Seattle next Q2/3, and then who knows!

With that will likely come no new G8x (I'm completely out with the new grille) and probably an X3MC! I'm not getting in as many sport drives these days and - if i'm being forthcoming - they're not as rewarding as they once were ... I still love the power and handling for spontaneous action, but the planned expeditions have slowed to once every 3-4 weeks. Plus, the hauling benefits of an SUV will come in handy both for a move but also for road trips.

So, yeah, with that thinking the X3MC is the ticket.

How about you? What's in the stable these days and what's coming?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 11:59 PM   #2733
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hey, check this shit out - a shell oil Gulf of Mexico ROV was 8,000 below the surface checking out an oil rig when it saw this fucker:

Appreciate 2
Arcades8163.50
minn1914021.00
      12-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #2734
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, been doing a lot of traveling and strategery - we're thinking of making some big lifestyle changes, possibly moving to Seattle next Q2/3, and then who knows!

With that will likely come no new G8x (I'm completely out with the new grille) and probably an X3MC! I'm not getting in as many sport drives these days and - if i'm being forthcoming - they're not as rewarding as they once were ... I still love the power and handling for spontaneous action, but the planned expeditions have slowed to once every 3-4 weeks. Plus, the hauling benefits of an SUV will come in handy both for a move but also for road trips.

So, yeah, with that thinking the X3MC is the ticket.

How about you? What's in the stable these days and what's coming?
Still the same. My father traded his 17 Prius for a 20 Prius Prime. The car is so much better as an electric car. Once it switches to the hybrid, it is a terrible car, egh.

I been looking at the X4M actually. I like the styling a bit more, although the feel of the car still lacks character in comparison to our Macan S. It just feels too soft even on Sport+. The steering doesn't feel as good either, playing with it on Comfort to Sport, it doesn't feel right. There is no Goldilocks settings for me with BMW settings. Either that or I am just too used to Porsche's driving feel now.

Have been looking at a the 911 GT3 too. I prefer the 991.2 actually as I dislike the interior change of the 992. If you google the 992 interior, you can see that Porsche changed the shifter of the new 911s. It's now shift by wire instead of the more mechanical style I'm used to. I wouldn't mind shift by wire however, Porsche changed the shifter nob as well into this... irritating little rectangular block thing. I have seen it, and sat it in and I am NOT a fan. I cannot hold my shifter like I'm used to and just looking at it annoys me.

I did sit and drive in the 991.2 Chalk 911 GTS, didn't drive the 991.2 GT3 since it was a 6 speed. The car was good, not really punishing. GT3 you can just feel the engine behind you like rumbling all the time, GTS is way more comfortable. I'm unsure of which direction I want to aim for. I didn't push the GTS too hard since it was still new, so couldn't get a good enough idea of the power band. Although my SA DID lol, it was a bit freaky sitting besides him when he did that, that car pulls.

Don't mind the new G20 as i have gotten two of them for loaners. The X3 G01/X4 G02 is also not bad but... all BMW interiors are now the same due to cost cutting and that actually annoys me a little. 8 series interior is too close to that if a 3 series, that doesn't feel right.

Timing for all of this is just terrible though. I'm not planning on switching cars so early and I want to keep my M3. So... I don't know which to do regarding Porsche atm, I want to but timing isn't right. I don't like the new 992 interior either so, if the GT3's are like that then I might pass. Maybe the Cayman GT4 w/ PDK if that is a thing. Already not liking the front end rumors of the G80/G82 so that is a hard no already.

Father's company went public on the Singapore stock so that's cool (a while ago though tbh) They just recently acquired another hotel near LaGuardia Airport. I noticed people been moving to Seattle lately, wonder why.

P.S. I seen that photo before. I forgot what it was called but I remember reading it's something very old and rarely gets spotted. Think it's like a type of deep water squid.
P.P.S. A close friend of mine martial was in Japan recently too. Kinda want to go back actually, haven't been there since... I was a child.

Last edited by Arcades; 12-20-2019 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #2735
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Have been looking at a the 911 GT3 too.
ha, well the new 911s are out for me, can't stand the butt (which is why the Gx are out, can't stand the grille). Plus the GT2 RS kinda ruined me for anything else simply due to sound - that thing sounds like a real muthafukkin race car, just. so. badass!

That said, GT3 Touring would be my choice! But, alas, I think it's the X3MC. I looked at the M8 and it's just a no for me, not worth it. Maybe the M5, but again, not that worth it for size reasons.

As for Japan - boy, the car culture there is fun. California has a really cool car culture too (you don't realize until you live here), but Japan's is more batshit. If I spoke even a little Japanese I woulda had a LOT of fun

Yeah, Seattle is crazy - it has a real excitement on the street ... kind of that feeling you get when you worked a long great day with a team and now everyone is going out for happy hour. The neighborhoods we're looking at have an average age of 27! that's crazy. We been there a few times this year checking it out (which is how we decided on the neighborhoods) and everyone hangs out at coffee or noodle shops and it's super fun because you just start talking to people. It's kinda like the first day on campus at grad school or something: everyone is serious, but also smart and friendly (despite the "seattle chill"). Also, we can live on a lake, a bike highway, and within walking distance of a whole foods, post office, library, and work. The only downside is the risk of catastrophic earthquake!

Big holiday plans? We're staying in Cali, meeting friends, and then heading to Seattle.
Appreciate 1
minn1914021.00
      12-21-2019, 09:27 PM   #2736
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ha, well the new 911s are out for me, can't stand the butt (which is why the Gx are out, can't stand the grille). Plus the GT2 RS kinda ruined me for anything else simply due to sound - that thing sounds like a real muthafukkin race car, just. so. badass!

That said, GT3 Touring would be my choice! But, alas, I think it's the X3MC. I looked at the M8 and it's just a no for me, not worth it. Maybe the M5, but again, not that worth it for size reasons.

As for Japan - boy, the car culture there is fun. California has a really cool car culture too (you don't realize until you live here), but Japan's is more batshit. If I spoke even a little Japanese I woulda had a LOT of fun

Yeah, Seattle is crazy - it has a real excitement on the street ... kind of that feeling you get when you worked a long great day with a team and now everyone is going out for happy hour. The neighborhoods we're looking at have an average age of 27! that's crazy. We been there a few times this year checking it out (which is how we decided on the neighborhoods) and everyone hangs out at coffee or noodle shops and it's super fun because you just start talking to people. It's kinda like the first day on campus at grad school or something: everyone is serious, but also smart and friendly (despite the "seattle chill"). Also, we can live on a lake, a bike highway, and within walking distance of a whole foods, post office, library, and work. The only downside is the risk of catastrophic earthquake!

Big holiday plans? We're staying in Cali, meeting friends, and then heading to Seattle.
You know, i thought about the GT3 vs GT3 Touring question myself. My personal conclusion is that, if you do end up getting a car like the GT3, then you should at least show off the fact that you got a car like that. However, I can understand the need for the Touring so you don't stand out like a sore thumb. My friends at DTLA Porsche has a used 2018 GT3 currently and I been itching to drive it so I can at long last figure out if this car is something I would want to own and keep. Hopefully I can get around to do it sooner than later.

I was saying in another thread how, I find it funny that my next preferred car from BMW is a X3M or X4M and none of their sedans due to the change in BMW's philosophy. Ironiclly, BMW's SUVs keep more of how I feel BMW heritage should be instead of their sedans.

Heard the GT2 before, it has a very unique engine howl under throttle, it does sound very good. Think a slight intake change could bring that out in the Flat Six with the GT3 (or RS).

My holidays should be normal. Regular family stuff that I always like. I had hoped something unique would happen this year but sadly she has to work, like a lot of line cooks do on Holidays so... can't have any time to ourselves like I had wanted. Oh well.
GrussGott18135.50
minn1914021.00
      12-21-2019, 11:04 PM   #2737
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had hoped something unique would happen this year but sadly she has to work, like a lot of line cooks do on Holidays so... can't have any time to ourselves like I had wanted. Oh well.
WAIT. Wait just a fucking minute. uh, DETAILS???
Appreciate 1
minn1914021.00
      12-22-2019, 04:14 AM   #2738
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
WAIT. Wait just a fucking minute. uh, DETAILS???

It was all in your imaginationnn. Nothing happened.
      12-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #2739
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Merry Christmas
GrussGott18135.50
minn1914021.00
      12-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #2740
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Merry Christmas
Happy ChristmaKwanzaka everyone!

I got some Dandelion chocolate, some cotton jammie pants, and we're going to Seattle where I'll get all kinds of crab, shrimp, etc at Pike's place, not to mention 50 gallons of coffee from Monorail, one of my favs (summer pic):

I kinda borrowed from Christmas presents this year (by which i mean absolutely did under penalty of grievous injury) to get a Sinn U1 that matches my M4, and a U2.

I went around and around on watches and ultimately decided my lifestyle is more g-shock / Oceanus / Sinn than Rolex ... the Sinns are complete tanks - the U2 has already knocked the shit outta some stuff and doesn't have a mark on it - i have to be careful with them around the car.

Ridiculously matching U1

U2 in Santa uniform

Hope everyone is having a great Holiday!!

So what's up???
Appreciate 2
Arcades8163.50
minn1914021.00
      12-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #2741
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
come on, what did everyone get??? Arcades you start.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #2742
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My Christmas involved dinner with family. That's about it :P l

I have very boring Christmas stuff.
      12-27-2019, 11:14 AM   #2743
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
I’ve always been a closet Toronto Maple Leafs fan. My mother in law bought me an away Dark Blue Jersey, which are my all time favorite looking NHL ones. I was legit surprised! Also a Hero 8 to show when I go in the sand trap at over 100 plus in the first corner at Road America next year.

We do more family stuff. I’ve always loved skiiing and we got my daughter into it last year and she loves it. So we bought our own gear and go when we can. We are doing a friends and family trip to Lutsen in a few weeks. Then probably go to Cali in May to visit my family and do some spring skiing around Tahoe. I’d like to show my daughter what a real ski hill/mountain looks like!

Otherwise hockey, hockey and more hockey with my daughter.

Good to hear from you Gruss and glad everything looks like it is going well. I agree about Seattle, it is an awesome area.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18135.50
      12-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #2744
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
We are doing a friends and family trip to Lutsen in a few weeks.
Otherwise hockey, hockey and more hockey with my daughter.
Holy crap, Lutsen! I forgot all about that place ... I've been there many times, mountain biking in the summer too. That's an awesome area - I know it's been a little built-up over the last 25 years since I used to run around there, but I'm curious if it's still a bit rustic there.

I used to go mountain biking at Gooseberry almost every weekend and back then it was basically just a highway stop with a few campsites and some trails. I'd also go up to the Temperance which had awesome views - love that whole area.

What's going on with hockey? A good friend of mine put all three of his kids through hockey, one daughter, and man did he work (I think both boys were in the Blades so summer travel all over the US/Canada!). The best hockey game I've ever seen was when his 9th grade son played for Holy Angels - they played an exhibition with Shattuck St Marys (who at the time, their HS team was basically semi-pro). Shattuck were these huge 6'6" dudes from all over the world all dressed in black ... when they lined up against these tiny HA kids I was thinking those kids were going to get destroyed ... ended up in OT! Was such an awesome game, the Shattuck coaches were yelling and screaming and these little HA kids were getting checked into oblivion but they'd just shake it off. It was definitely speed vs power - such a great game.

For me, I think in Jan i'm hanging up the work skates - there's still a few things I've been talking to people about, but I think I'm out! At least for a ft gig i have to do - lots of stuff I wanna do, and lots of non-workey stuff to do this election year!
Appreciate 2
minn1914021.00
Arcades8163.50
      12-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #2745
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Holy crap, Lutsen! I forgot all about that place ... I've been there many times, mountain biking in the summer too. That's an awesome area - I know it's been a little built-up over the last 25 years since I used to run around there, but I'm curious if it's still a bit rustic there.

I used to go mountain biking at Gooseberry almost every weekend and back then it was basically just a highway stop with a few campsites and some trails. I'd also go up to the Temperance which had awesome views - love that whole area.

What's going on with hockey? A good friend of mine put all three of his kids through hockey, one daughter, and man did he work (I think both boys were in the Blades so summer travel all over the US/Canada!). The best hockey game I've ever seen was when his 9th grade son played for Holy Angels - they played an exhibition with Shattuck St Marys (who at the time, their HS team was basically semi-pro). Shattuck were these huge 6'6" dudes from all over the world all dressed in black ... when they lined up against these tiny HA kids I was thinking those kids were going to get destroyed ... ended up in OT! Was such an awesome game, the Shattuck coaches were yelling and screaming and these little HA kids were getting checked into oblivion but they'd just shake it off. It was definitely speed vs power - such a great game.

For me, I think in Jan i'm hanging up the work skates - there's still a few things I've been talking to people about, but I think I'm out! At least for a ft gig i have to do - lots of stuff I wanna do, and lots of non-workey stuff to do this election year!
Yah it is still pretty rustic, but I'm sure more built up then you remember it. I've only been to Lutsen in the summer and never skied there. So I'm pretty pumped to just ski out the back of our condo and get away from Wild, Troll and Afton for once.

I'm lucky in the hockey thing for a few things. I've always only been an assistant and she is still an 8U/mite. The Head Coaches/Team Managers deal with a lot more work and bullshit as they get older. It still is a big time commitment, but mostly a fun one. We've been fortunate and avoided most of the drama/politics, but I'm sure it will come. I'm just enjoying the time I get to spend with her and watch her progress. It's amazing what she can do now since she learned to skate at 4 years old.

Growing up a poor public school guy, I still have a bit of a grudge against schools like Shattuck (Edina still) etc. I hate to say it, but I still get a bit of satisfaction when I see them get beat by public school teams. But even those are off the rails now and they all recruit etc..........It's not the same when we where kids that is for sure.
Appreciate 2
Arcades8163.50
GrussGott18135.50
      12-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #2746
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Congrats for the retirement!

Quote:
Yah it is still pretty rustic, but I'm sure more built up then you remember it. I've only been to Lutsen in the summer and never skied there. So I'm pretty pumped to just ski out the back of our condo and get away from Wild, Troll and Afton for once.

I'm lucky in the hockey thing for a few things. I've always only been an assistant and she is still an 8U/mite. The Head Coaches/Team Managers deal with a lot more work and bullshit as they get older. It still is a big time commitment, but mostly a fun one. We've been fortunate and avoided most of the drama/politics, but I'm sure it will come. I'm just enjoying the time I get to spend with her and watch her progress. It's amazing what she can do now since she learned to skate at 4 years old.

Growing up a poor public school guy, I still have a bit of a grudge against schools like Shattuck (Edina still) etc. I hate to say it, but I still get a bit of satisfaction when I see them get beat by public school teams. But even those are off the rails now and they all recruit etc..........It's not the same when we where kids that is for sure.
Glad you had fun
GrussGott18135.50
      12-27-2019, 09:08 PM   #2747
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Growing up a poor public school guy, I still have a bit of a grudge against schools like Shattuck (Edina still) etc. I hate to say it, but I still get a bit of satisfaction when I see them get beat by public school teams.
oh HELL yeah! i grew up in north mpls on the other side of the tracks and I remember this one time we travelled to Edina (i didn't play just hung out with the team) and some guy had just bought all the Edina kids cooper-alls which were a big deal at the time - can't remember why ... maybe it's like carbon sticks now or whatever.

Oh yeah, I have a big grudge against the private schools, colleges too. We go up to Stanford quite a bit and support some of the stuff they do, but fuck the Cardinals, those rich kids suck. go Bears! Actually we live pretty close to the San Jose Spartans stadium so I have Spartan spirit too.

Glad to hear your daughter is doing awesome in hockey! Proud papa My old boss / buddy coached the blades and was a former college player (NDSU) and he used to have real-talk with parents who'd get overly excited - his line was "if they can't skate by 4, no college will let them in the door" by which he meant those kids probably weren't playing college hockey, much less pro. Parents would go ape-shit; he wouldn't play kids that didn't show up to practice and he'd get death threats, got his tires slashed and car keyed ... serious shit! Be careful out there!

Last edited by GrussGott; 12-27-2019 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
minn1914021.00
      12-27-2019, 10:42 PM   #2748
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Coolest
Gift
Ever!!!

My niece bought a cricket just before Christmas
Attached Images

minn1914021.00
      12-27-2019, 10:43 PM   #2749
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Attached Images

Arcades8163.50
      12-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #2750
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I should probably get instagram or whatever but that seems like a lot of work so i'm posting pics here:

Lake Union, northside of Downtown looking at Amazon and Google Cloud campuses

Part of the Downtown Seattle Bike Highway

Amazon 4-Star Concept Store

Amazon To-Go Concept Store ... annoyingly there's friction with having to have an app or card ... there was a nice attendant, but we skipped it because fuck that

Cascades seen from downtown

Mt Rainier at Sunset

Last edited by GrussGott; 12-29-2019 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
minn1914021.00