GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-25-2020, 05:07 PM   #67
ferrarifast
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 Comp xDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
You mean BMW should fire the governments and worldwide regulators

You really believe that this drive for lower emissions and fuel economy is internally driven
Fair point. Just saying, like 90% of the cars they sell globally are four bangers. M cars constitute a small % imo. Why ruin them?

Look, they need to lobby those regulators to get favorable regulation...instead of ruining the cars
Life is too short to list the non Ms
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #68
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
no way in hell i'd have a 4 cyl m3.
Might as well go jap at that point. NOPE
Jap? I'd go American Muscle and grow out my Mullet. Haha
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 05:28 PM   #69
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

4 bangers are for women and kids and pets.

Actually even my puppy doberman hates them and refuses to get in one unless i pick her up and put her in.

In the M4 she hops in easy
Appreciate 2
      05-25-2020, 05:57 PM   #70
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Really so why is Porsche saying they will need to Increase engine displacement by 2026? They seem to be going about it a different way.
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/19/...gines-in-2026/

Also it’s interesting the survey was stating the the 4cyl engine would be LESS powerful. That is unacceptable.

These regulations created by EU are all bunch of BS. Why not limit private planes or 20 room mansions or diesel trucks etc. Its all politics and little to improve the environment.

Well, believe it or not
https://carbuzz.com/news/next-gen-bm...or-v12-engines

For some years the future is electric or a combination with small engines.

Could change at some point but this is how the next generation will be.

More cylinder doesn't mean more or better performance E90 M3 > F80 M3

3,4 and 6 Cylinder at least for European manufacturer
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #71
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Also it’s interesting the survey was stating the the 4cyl engine would be LESS powerful. That is unacceptable.

These regulations created by EU are all bunch of BS. Why not limit private planes or 20 room mansions or diesel trucks etc. Its all politics and little to improve the environment.
You're misstating the survey. The page you posted was just one page and one scenario of the survey. There were at least two other scenarios that were given. You chose the one that said less power.

The page that I posted, post #20 above, presented the scenario as follows:
"If you were to think ahead about your next vehicle would you consider a 4-cylinder plug-in hybrid M4 Coupe if the gas-only 6-cylinder M4 was not available?

Please note that the 4-cylinder plug-in hybrid M4 Coupe would have better fuel economy (if charged) and have the same acceleration as the gas-only 6-cylinder M4 Coupe.

For reference, a plug-in hybrid still has a gas engine but also has an electric motor and battery that can be charged either by the engine or by plugging in. "
Notice that in this scenario it does not state that the car would have less power. It states that the acceleration would be the same but with better fuel economy. This is essentially the same type of powertrain as an i8 has.

And this is just a survey, it's asking you to consider different scenarios that would be acceptable to you if the gas-only 6-cylinder M4 was not available. This is not saying what BMW is planning to do, it's so they can figure out what would be most acceptable to the most customers. If a gas-only 6-cylinder M4 not being available is not acceptable to you, you're welcome to let BMW know and go buy a gas-only 6-cylinder car from someone else. Good luck with that.

If you could get better mileage, less emissions, and the same acceleration, what's not to love? This is the immediate future of automotive technology (and has been with some other manufacturers for several years). You can rail against EU emissions all you want but there is nothing you can do about them. Some people are concerned about the future of our planet. If you haven't noticed, one of the side effects of COVID-19 and the massive reduction in all types of emissions because of stay-at-home orders and air travel being down ~80% is that we currently have some of the best air quality since ICEs were invented. So your premise that restricting emissions has little effect is invalid.

Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      05-26-2020, 07:23 AM   #72
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:

You're misstating the survey. The page you posted was just one page and one scenario of the survey. There were at least two other scenarios that were given. You chose the one that said less power.

"If you were to think ahead about your next vehicle would you consider a 4-cylinder plug-in hybrid M4 Coupe if the gas-only 6-cylinder M4 was not available?

Please note that the 4-cylinder plug-in hybrid M4 Coupe would have better fuel economy (if charged) and have the same acceleration as the gas-only 6-cylinder M4 Coupe.

For reference, a plug-in hybrid still has a gas engine but also has an electric motor and battery that can be charged either by the engine or by plugging in. "
Notice that in this scenario it does not state that the car would have less power. It states that the acceleration would be the same but with better fuel economy. This is essentially the same type of powertrain as an i8 has.

And this is just a survey, it's asking you to consider different scenarios that would be acceptable to you if the gas-only 6-cylinder M4 was not available. This is not saying what BMW is planning to do, it's so they can figure out what would be most acceptable to the most customers. If a gas-only 6-cylinder M4 not being available is not acceptable to you, you're welcome to let BMW know and go buy a gas-only 6-cylinder car from someone else. Good luck with that.

If you could get better mileage, less emissions, and the same acceleration, what's not to love? This is the immediate future of automotive technology (and has been with some other manufacturers for several years). You can rail against EU emissions all you want but there is nothing you can do about them. Some people are concerned about the future of our planet. If you haven't noticed, one of the side effects of COVID-19 and the massive reduction in all types of emissions because of stay-at-home orders and air travel being down ~80% is that we currently have some of the best air quality since ICEs were invented. So your premise that restricting emissions has little effect is invalid.
4 cylinders suck that is whats not to like.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #73
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:

What's not to love?

How about it's gonna sound like complete shit for starters :
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #74
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

I posted screenshots of both options- just 4cyl and 4cyl hybrid.

Please review my posts.

Stop making excuses for BMW and look how Porsche is doing it still with NA engines even!

They should first start with taking away private planes, yachts and 20 room mansions that cause enough pollution to cover millions of people.
This all is political.

Those plants that make your hybrid or EV car generate pollution. The resources /materials those batteries need to be made are bad for environment. There is ALWAYS a trade off. Going all EV will not do anything to improve the environment.

Last edited by R N M; 05-26-2020 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #75
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M, F80 M3, C7 Z51

There should be an option for a twin turbo V8. Drop the S63TU in the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #76
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I posted screenshots of both options- just 4cyl and 4cyl hybrid.

Please review my posts.

Stop making excuses for BMW and look how Porsche is doing it still with NA engines even!

They should first start with taking away private planes, yachts and 20 room mansions that cause enough pollution to cover millions of people.
This all is political.

Those plants that make your hybrid or EV car generate pollution. The resources /materials those batteries need to be made are bad for environment. There is ALWAYS a trade off. Going all EV will not do anything to improve the environment.

Which point do you don't understand? It's about Fleet CO2.

Porsche is own by VW, VW is selling tons of low CO2 emission vehicles.

Stop comparing Porsche to BMW, you should compare VW to BMW.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      05-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #77
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelrain View Post
It's not like they listen to any opinion from the M community
Yeah, so BMW is spending money to ask to completely disregard what they say...makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #78
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
Quote:
It's not like they listen to any opinion from the M community
Yeah, so BMW is spending money to ask to completely disregard what they say...makes sense.
So who here likes the ugly ass front of the new G80?
Who here is asking for a 4 cylinder or electric engine?
How about let's get rid of manuals?

Go get a Tesla
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #79
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Go get a Tesla
Nobody liked the F80 at the beginning. Everyone was trashing the 6 Cylinder engine and the headlights, see what happens couple years later.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #80
M3GymNut
Major
Rep

Quote:

Go get a Tesla
Dude you alright? What does this have anything to do with my reply? Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #81
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Go get a Tesla
Dude you alright? What does this have anything to do with my reply? Lol
You're implying that they spend money on research and actually listen to the consumer.
Not sure why you find my reply offensive either I am just posting questions and for anyone who actually wants the stuff they are planing in the future it's just a Tesla with a slightly different look
I don't know if many of you realize that most manufacturers are doing catch up with Tesla at the expense of current car models.
Why wait till then go get a Tesla now. Again nothing offensive there, question marks no capital letters or exclamations
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #82
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You're implying that they spend money on research and actually listen to the consumer.
Not sure why you find my reply offensive either I am just posting questions and for anyone who actually wants the stuff they are planing in the future it's just a Tesla with a slightly different look
I don't know if many of you realize that most manufacturers are doing catch up with Tesla at the expense of current car models.
Why wait till then go get a Tesla now. Again nothing offensive there, question marks no capital letters or exclamations
Yes, you're absolutely right about catching up with Tesla.

Back in the days maybe like 10 years ago every German OEM was laughing about Tesla, take a look what happened just about 10 years later. All German OEM are behind Tesla now.

The Automotive taste for the younger generation had changed. Electric and Tesla is hip, cool and so on.
If you live in California you have just benefits to get a Tesla or any other hybrid, electric vehicle with the bumper sticker.

When it comes to emissions the EU has no mercy, the M2 was cut ahead because it makes no sense to have the S55 in the fleet for the CO2 limits.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #83
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Quote:

Back in the days maybe like 10 years ago every German OEM was laughing about Tesla, take a look what happened just about 10 years later. All German OEM are behind Tesla now.

The Automotive taste for the younger generation had changed. Electric and Tesla is hip, cool and so on.
If you live in California you have just benefits to get a Tesla or any other hybrid, electric vehicle with the bumper sticker.

When it comes to emissions the EU has no mercy, the M2 was cut ahead because it makes no sense to have the S55 in the fleet for the CO2 limits.
Totally agree
Maybe I misunderstood him or he me
Maybe it's this damn sun and heat while trying to make 20" wheels fit on lowered Jrz suspension is getting me a bit agitated
No hard feeling everyone
Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 12:11 PM   #84
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

could they make a 4 cylinder every bit as fast as a F80 ?

sure they could. I mean the civic type r is as fast or faster than an f80 on most tracks and its fwd. But you would need a hybrid assist most likely to fill in for the lag.. since you will need a big turbo to move the heavy 3 series. So now you have an combustion engine, paired with a turbo, paired with an electric battery. More complexity = more chances of something to fail.

im also not sure of any hybrid systems with a manual trans. not sure if its possible.

at this point you might as well just go all electric.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #85
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Nobody liked the F80 at the beginning. Everyone was trashing the 6 Cylinder engine and the headlights, see what happens couple years later.
EVERYONE loved the styling.

Over 90% of ppl hate the fugly big grill on G80.

You want me to link some threads when F8x cars debuted.
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25064.00
Tacoma944.50
      05-26-2020, 01:01 PM   #86
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

When it comes to emissions the EU has no mercy, the M2 was cut ahead because it makes no sense to have the S55 in the e for the CO2 limits.
If u want Tesla- go buy one.
Not everyone wants an EV.

BMW can’t build a Tesla competitor, hell no body can right now. They are great cars.
BMW should focus on their niche- sporty luxury car with soul. Something they have forgotten.

As I stated earlier there are many studies questioning benefits of EV cars for the environment vs ICE. In the end, consumers stand to get shafted for higher priced cars with less performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #87
M3GymNut
Major
Rep

Quote:
No you incorrectly assumed. I meant that BMW is not going to spend money asking consumers their opinions without taking it to a certain extent. Granted I know that for the most part they are going to make their own decisions but there is a degree that they will take those results and evaluate them, especially if it comes in a landslide from what they were planning on doing. Why do you think BMW also reads the opinions of us as forum members...for their health?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #88
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No you incorrectly assumed. I meant that BMW is not going to spend money asking consumers their opinions without taking it to a certain extent. Granted I know that for the most part they are going to make their own decisions but there is a degree that they will take those results and evaluate them, especially if it comes in a landslide from what they were planning on doing. Why do you think BMW also reads the opinions of us as forum members...for their health?
Do they even make any of the surveys they take public? No
They use that as an excuse to say look we asked hundreds of bmw M enthusiasts what they would like in the new M
Most said an ugly front end and the discontinuation of the manual transmission.
No one asked for that
It's a disguise to claim they listen but plans are already made far in advance of any of their question on what we would like
Only under a big outcry of the community did they end up bringing back the transmission in one of the M3/M4 G series modes.
If you want to keep believing that they care about your opinion go ahead it's your right. Take all the surveys they send you
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00