Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

01-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #1
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Delivery problems with dealership

Hi All

Just wanted to get your opinion on this situation. How plausible does it sound? I am almost at the point where I want to call my CA out but then I could be wrong.

Car has been in the country for 1 month now. Ship docked Mid December. Story goes like this from the words of my CA

Unable to clear customs, company who processes cars goes on holidays Mid December, car will be available Early Jan

Early Jan, CA not 100% Sure when it will be available, after 2-3 days of calling I was told it would be available exactly Mid Jan 15th

Now Mid Jan I have been told car cannot clear customs it does not Comply with Australian standards in some way? Reason was not given, release date is now again unconfirmed.

Now how likely is this?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Sorry, can't even begin to help you on this one. Don't know anything about Australia. Recommend you call a lawyer to get advice on the situation (the universal first world cop out answer).
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks Onerib =) lol Might leave that if he delays for a few more weeks. Any other thoughts guys? Just sounds so unheard of
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
MAERD TEW
PowerShifter
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 YMB M3 6MT (In Production)

I say inquire with BMW Group Australia. Buddy of mine had a similar issue with his CA at Porsche. Car had a mishap at port and they tried to still sell to him after it had been damaged without letting him know the circumstances.

http://www.bmw.com.au/com/en/general...t/contact.html

Best of luck.

Cheers mate.
Got her: '15 F80 YMB/Full SO 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 11:23 PM   #5
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

How did he find out about the damage?

Also when I call what exactly am i saying? Just providing the VIN number and figuring what is going on with this vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 11:44 PM   #6
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoo

Also when I call what exactly am i saying? Just providing the VIN number and figuring what is going on with this vehicle?
I'd also suggest to get an independent inspection done on the car prior to taking delivery of its a cause for concern.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #7
MAERD TEW
PowerShifter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoo View Post

Yes just inquire about your delivery. Tell them that the car arrived and hasn't come to the dealer as of yet. You have to be sure it was released from the carrier to the dealer. In reference to damage, you can inspect the car yourself and almost always tell if it was repainted. Or get a pro to look at it for you to make sure it's good.

My buddy noticed the difference in mirrors, one side had a matte black mirror clip and the other was in the same body paint color.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 10:01 PM   #8
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAERD TEW View Post
In reference to damage, you can inspect the car yourself and almost always tell if it was repainted. Or get a pro to look at it for you to make sure it's good.
If you're leasing and/or not planning on keeping the car for the duration you may not want to know. I did ED and had a bit of delay as well - I called BMWNA to check on the CA story ... originally I was supposed to get the car in Mid December but it was delayed mysteriously for 3 weeks, but over the holiday. Plausible. Or not. Hmmmm ...

So far it drives the same and I haven't noticed anything, but I also haven't looked closely - if I find a flaw I will not be able to unsee it, so I don't look
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 11:17 PM   #9
MAERD TEW
PowerShifter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
If you're leasing and/or not planning on keeping the car for the duration you may not want to know. I did ED and had a bit of delay as well - I called BMWNA to check on the CA story ... originally I was supposed to get the car in Mid December but it was delayed mysteriously for 3 weeks, but over the holiday. Plausible. Or not. Hmmmm ...

So far it drives the same and I haven't noticed anything, but I also haven't looked closely - if I find a flaw I will not be able to unsee it, so I don't look
If leasing it isn't a big deal. But if keeping for a while it is. Keep in mind this car is probably 150-200k in Australia. High import taxes there. So if it's taking a long while I'd inquire why.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 12:00 AM   #10
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Well there is BMW of North America, Inc. v. Gore, 517 U.S. 559 (1996):

Quote:
The plaintiff, Dr. Ira Gore, bought a new BMW, and later discovered that the vehicle had been repainted before he bought it. Defendant BMW revealed that their policy was to sell damaged cars as new if the damage could be fixed for less than 3% of the cost of the car.

Dr. Gore sued, and an Alabama jury awarded $4,000 in compensatory damages (lost value of the car) and $4 million in punitive damages, which was later reduced to $2 million by the Alabama Supreme Court.

The punitive damages resulted not only from Dr. Gore's damages, but from BMW's egregious behavior across a broad spectrum of BMW purchasers over a multi-year period of time in which BMW repaired damaged vehicles and sold them as new to unsuspecting buyers as a matter of routine business operation.
Appreciate 0