Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

02-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
nycaudioma2
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

$1k Over Invoice Possible Even with Dealer Locate?

Hi all, I've been talking to a local dealer that I have used for many years, and their best price at this point on a 17 M4 is almost $2k over invoice. They are justifying this by saying the car is out-of-state and there is a cost to truck it in.

I have seen many threads on the forums where people were able to get $1k over invoice, but was wondering if that was even when a car was trucked in (or if that is only when the car is on the lot, or ordered and delivered a few months later).

Also when people talk in terms of $1k over invoice, does that typically include the doc fees? My dealership charges $500, so I am wondering if the forum would really see that as $2500 over invoice and not $2k.

The trade-in value they have offered is pretty solid, but that obviously can't justify overpaying for the new car.

I'm on the fence between taking this now and having it for spring and summer, or ordering and having the ideal car delivered (with slightly different options) in early September (which is not really a good time to get an M4 in the North East).

Thanks for any feedback!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

we are selling a bunch of M4s on our lot for under invoice. If you are interested shoot david an email bmwdavid@icloud.com closed sundays

As far as pricing and what others have been paying start with going through this pricing thread: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1279690

trucking can range in price based off a lot of variables.

Doc fees can vary dealer to dealer

trade: always negotiate the sale price of the new car before you bring up the trade

you can only order 2018 models at this time. If you want a 17 model you will obv have to find something on a lot

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
TI.3VOM73.50
      02-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
You live in the tristate area. There are more BMW dealerships around here than there are Starbucks. I'm sure you can find a better price somewhere else. If anything, you'll have ammunition for a better deal at your preferred dealership.
Appreciate 3
GOLFFRR10779.00
paliknight2191.50
      02-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
bmrwrld
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Dude, Build your own. Its a little wait but worth it at the end.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrwrld View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
nycaudioma2
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrwrld View Post
Totally agree, but have been told that M4 production is halted until July - which means the car comes close to September. That's a 6-7 month wait, and misses the exact time the car would be most appreciated in this part of the country.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
chaponius
Rep
Drives: 17 Alpine/SO M3 MPE

It just depends on you. If it were me, if the car I wanted was on the lot at this moment I wouldnt let 1k in purchase price stop me, you are looking at a very small savings monthly. To me its just not worth the hassle and time to continue searching and may ultimately not even find that unicorn deal
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #8
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
we are selling a bunch of M4s on our lot for under invoice. If you are interested shoot david an email bmwdavid@icloud.com closed sundays

As far as pricing and what others have been paying start with going through this pricing thread: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1279690

trade: always negotiate the sale price of the new car before you bring up the trade

you can only order 2018 models at this time. If you want a 17 model you will obv have to find something on a lot
+1
      02-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #9
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post

I was about to say. These cars could be had for under invoice. In the tri-state area, or even on the east coast there's so much competition there's no way you wouldn't be able to find at least around invoice.
      02-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #10
MRCUR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBMW355 View Post
Totally agree, but have been told that M4 production is halted until July - which means the car comes close to September. That's a 6-7 month wait, and misses the exact time the car would be most appreciated in this part of the country.
M4 production has not stopped. 2018 M4 production begins in March. The M3 will not begin production until July.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #11
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCUR View Post
M4 production has not stopped. 2018 M4 production begins in March. The M3 will not begin production until July.
Does this mean you can build and order a 18 M3 now and will dealers have allocations for 18 now or allocations will be done in July.
      02-19-2017, 08:10 PM   #12
MRCUR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Does this mean you can build and order a 18 M3 now and will dealers have allocations for 18 now or allocations will be done in July.
There are no M3 allocations currently. They'll likely be release in June.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #13
mischiefbenz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBMW355
Hi all, I've been talking to a local dealer that I have used for many years, and their best price at this point on a 17 M4 is almost $2k over invoice. They are justifying this by saying the car is out-of-state and there is a cost to truck it in.

I have seen many threads on the forums where people were able to get $1k over invoice, but was wondering if that was even when a car was trucked in (or if that is only when the car is on the lot, or ordered and delivered a few months later).

Also when people talk in terms of $1k over invoice, does that typically include the doc fees? My dealership charges $500, so I am wondering if the forum would really see that as $2500 over invoice and not $2k.

The trade-in value they have offered is pretty solid, but that obviously can't justify overpaying for the new car.

I'm on the fence between taking this now and having it for spring and summer, or ordering and having the ideal car delivered (with slightly different options) in early September (which is not really a good time to get an M4 in the North East).

Thanks for any feedback!
Unless your dealer makes the trade before the car leaves the VPC, their is going to be extra shipping charges to get your car to the dealer. Since this is going to cut into their profit margin, it is very likely they'll pass the cost onto you.

Typically the other dealer is also going to want another car in return and typically its going to be something in high demand.

You are always going to get a better deal on a car that the dealer has on their lot or in their allocation pool.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 09:42 PM   #14
Kevin M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

I got my ordered M3 under invoice. Keep looking!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #15
cschristian78
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black M3

I am looking at a car that is currently in my dealer's inventory. It is currently listed for 79.9. Where can I find the invoice amount and how aggressive is too aggressive on price?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #16
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaudioman View Post
There is nothing to "truck in" if you go and pickup the car from the selling dealer.

Quote:
Usually not. When people say: $$ over invoice, it just refers to the purchase price of the car.
The overall transaction cost also depends on the doc/reg/etc fees, and the financing terms. Always all 3 up, and then compare deal vs. deal.

Someone might offer you $500 over invoice, but mark-up MF to reclaim $1.5K though financing... or bump up the fess by another $1K ...

If you are trading something in, make sure to add that variable as the 4th element of the deal. Otherwise, you may bite on a $0 over invoice offer, but loose $5K on the under-bid trade-in price.

Quote:
That's a tough choice.
September car will be MY'18. What you can get now is MY'17.
If you are leasing, the difference is minor (tail light updates, some other fluff). If you are buying, the extra pre-LCI depreciation hit may be a serious consideration.

But if you want to have the car this sprint/summer, and you can find a build close to your own without compromising too much, there is only one choice.

a
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #17
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschristian78 View Post
I am looking at a car that is currently in my dealer's inventory. It is currently listed for 79.9. Where can I find the invoice amount and how aggressive is too aggressive on price?
Please use <Search>.
There are far too many option and mark-up permutations for arriving at $79.9, and you are the only person with incentives to do the leg work.

Read about about being aggressive (or not) on the price.

a
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #18
cschristian78
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Quote:
Please use <Search>.
There are far too many option and mark-up permutations for arriving at $79.9, and you are the only person with incentives to do the leg work.

Read about about being aggressive (or not) on the price.

a
Thanks..I guess
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #19
MRCUR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks..I guess
You're expecting a simple, one size fits all answer to a question that does not have one size fits all answers. Also a question that has been asked over and over throughout this very forum you're in. Shall afadeev come make your coffee in the morning too?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 06:56 PM   #20
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
You can get to a "rough" approximation of invoice by multiplying MSRP by .93. When I say "rough" I mean within a few to several hundred dollars....

So, Ok for quick math, but (in my mind) not ok for negotiating a price. Not sure where the invoice calculation are here on bimmerpost as I am somewhat new on this site... I am a regular over at the "other" bmw blog and wanted to branch out some (rofl).

In any case, if you are negotiating over invoice before incentives with your prospective dealer, ask to see the invoice when you narrow it down to who you want to do business with.

As for "how aggressive is too aggressive"... that really depends on too many variables to name. Is the car on the lot? Ordered? If on lot, has it been sitting a while? Rare options on lot (Manual tranny for example?).

A good price could go from 2-2.5k over invoice to under invoice, depending on "reasons".

So, yeah I agree with Afadeev as well... I am just sugar coating it a bit more
Appreciate 0