European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

10-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #23
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

keep waiting. for the first time in my life I have a car that is spec'd exactly how I want it. its worth it

sucks about the wheels. BMW really has f*cked up this entire product launch and manufacturing process of these cars.
      10-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #24
bmwhoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3, '15 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
keep waiting. for the first time in my life I have a car that is spec'd exactly how I want it. its worth it

sucks about the wheels. BMW really has f*cked up this entire product launch and manufacturing process of these cars.
Hey guys, lurking forever but just registered. I've got this same issue. Car finished production on 9/15. After pushing ca, was told this same thing. He's trying to learn more. Will provide any updates I receive - not holding my breath. Am completely pissed off though
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #25
bmwhoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Any way we can social media shame these guys into getting their act together and getting the wheels put on our cars? BS that cars with same wheels have shipped after being produced after ours. Seems like a major supply chain / order priority issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #26
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhoo View Post
Any way we can social media shame these guys into getting their act together and getting the wheels put on our cars? BS that cars with same wheels have shipped after being produced after ours. Seems like a major supply chain / order priority issue.
I'm sure BMW is doing everything they can to produce the cars... it hurts them to have delays like this. If there is a supplier issue (which it likely is), then "shaming" them does nothing at all... they are in business to make money and these delays are costly. They have a very complex and time sensitive manufacturing process and I'm sure it has been perfected to the extent possible. When an issue like this arises, it is often an issue with a supplier... we saw this with the Corvette too where they had issues getting Carbon Fibre pieces from their supplier in the quantity/quality and it caused significant delays.

As painful as it is for those being delayed, I'm sure they are doing everything they can to fix this.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 10-13-2014 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #27
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I'm sure BMW is doing everything they can to produce the cars... it hurts them to have delays like this. If there is a supplier issue (which it likely is), then "shaming" them does nothing at all... they are in business to make money and these delays are costly. They have a very complex and time sensitive manufacturing process and I'm sure it has been perfected to the extent possible. When an issue like this arises, it is often an issue with a supplier... we saw this with the Corvette too where they had issues getting Carbon Fibre pieces from their supplier in the quantity/quality and it caused significant delays.

As painful as it is for those being delayed, I'm sure they are doing everything they can to fix this.
I dunno man. The fact that they are delaying us for Black 19s as a week 37 build and I see guys with week 39-41 builds with the same wheels already hitting ships it seems like strait up BS. I "finished" prod before some of these guys even started. Why would they even put my car into production if they didn't have the wheels? And why do these later cars have them?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #28
bmwhoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:

Yes, of course you're right. Modern day equivalent of a stoning in the town square isn't going to solve the issue.

Hard to say their supply chain is optimized though. Having partially finished orders sitting around when new ones are being fulfilled is bad business practice. We should at least have the option of swapping out wheels. Also the communication from them should be far more proactive.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #29
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
what exactly is the delay? Is it a shortage of the wheels or something else? The "retrofit" title is misleading.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #30
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I dunno man. The fact that they are delaying us for Black 19s as a week 37 build and I see guys with week 39-41 builds with the same wheels already hitting ships it seems like strait up BS. I "finished" prod before some of these guys even started. Why would they even put my car into production if they didn't have the wheels? And why do these later cars have them?
I suspect that is because they align parts to each car's specific production build. That is, the wheels that were arriving for the week 39 builds were coming just-in-time for those specific cars. The batch for your week either were messed up or didn't show. They may not want to pull parts from later cars to build earlier cars when there is a problem with the earlier car... unless there is a surplus of that part. Otherwise, it creates a trickle effect problem rather than limiting the issue to a specific group of cars only.

I'm betting this is the issue... at least this is how GM managed their production but I assume most are the same. Specific parts are aligned with specific builds and "stealing" parts when there is a problem often doesn't happen as it has a ripple effect on production. Again, speculation on my part.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #31
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I suspect that is because they align parts to each car's specific production build. That is, the wheels that were arriving for the week 39 builds were coming just-in-time for those specific cars. The batch for your week either were messed up or didn't show. They may not want to pull parts from later cars to build earlier cars when there is a problem with the earlier car... unless there is a surplus of that part. Otherwise, it creates a trickle effect problem rather than limiting the issue to a specific group of cars only.

I'm betting this is the issue... at least this is how GM managed their production but I assume most are the same. Specific parts are aligned with specific builds and "stealing" parts when there is a problem often doesn't happen as it has a ripple effect on production. Again, speculation on my part.
You are probably right. Unfortunately at times like the rational and calmness go out the window for blind rage. LOL

I just want to know when this 6-9 week counter really started. I mean apparently it is hurting ppl with cars built 2 weeks before mine even. Is it 6-9 weeks from the start of the problem or from the e-mail? Who knows.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #32
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
You are probably right. Unfortunately at times like the rational and calmness go out the window for blind rage. LOL

I just want to know when this 6-9 week counter really started. I mean apparently it is hurting ppl with cars built 2 weeks before mine even. Is it 6-9 weeks from the start of the problem or from the e-mail? Who knows.
I hear you However it may be justified or explained away, it sucks royally nonetheless and it does not make the longer wait any easier or less aggravating!!!!! I feel for you for sure...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #33
bmwhoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
Quote:

Yes, knowing when the 6-9 week clock started would be huge.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #34
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The other crazy question is why does BMWNA report no holds? And when speaking with them they have no clue that it's even held up much less for this.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #35
fortressmaximus
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
Quote:
The other crazy question is why does BMWNA report no holds? And when speaking with them they have no clue that it's even held up much less for this.
Even though my car somehow got on a ship, I will let you guys know if my car gets held stateside at the VPC or elsewhere for this "retrofit" issue. The car is supposed to arrive at Brunswick on 10/22. If it doesn't get held, my bet is on a bad batch of wheels.

I'm pulling for all you guys with this issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #36
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:

I suppose that this depends on your definition of "perfected to the extent possible". It might be perfected for BMW's profitability, but it certainly doesn't seem perfected for fairness to their buyers.

According to anybody at BMW that I'm able to speak to, my car has been in transit to the port for 19 days. Now I'm hearing through this forum that my car might be delayed an additional 6-9 weeks for a wheel retrofit?! All the while buyers who came in after me, whose cars have the same wheels that my car is waiting for, are having their cars ship out as normal.

To add insult to injury, the "retrofit" is being done in Bremerhaven. So, after potentially waiting nearly 12 weeks after production complete for the wheel retrofit, I'll still wait for a vessel and then the two week trip across the ocean.

It's also entirely possible that around the time that we take delivery of our cars, BMW will have new carbon roofs for M3s and M4s that will allow for the use of a roof rack. Not our cars though as they'll be well aged by that time.

I don't expect any sympathy from somebody who has already taken delivery of their car and isn't in the same situation as us, but to come in this thread to saying that the process is as perfect as it can be is just silly.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #37
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
I don't expect any sympathy from somebody who has already taken delivery of their car and isn't in the same situation as us, but to come in this thread to saying that the process is as perfect as it can be is just silly.
I think you are misreading me... I'm not saying the process is perfect at all. I'm just suggesting that they likely have a process to ensure this kind of stuff is minimized and they are as efficient as they can be. Delays are not good for BMW either and I'm sure they do what they can to not have this happen. Having said that, I do completely sympathize and I know how much it completely sucks for those caught in this!! Their communication on it sucks even more which in many ways is one of the biggest issues IMO. Not knowing is the worse thing IMO.

So, I'm not defending BMW at all... I've just seen this (or something like it) happen on many different cars and many different manufacturers over the years. It clearly doesn't make it any easier for the customer waiting (and that's where better communication is key) and in some ways ruins the experience... which sucks for you and it also sucks for BMW. Clearly just a lose/lose scenario.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #38
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you are misreading me... I'm not saying the process is perfect at all. I'm just suggesting that they likely have a process to ensure this kind of stuff is minimized and they are as efficient as they can be. Delays are not good for BMW either and I'm sure they do what they can to not have this happen. Having said that, I do completely sympathize and I know how much it completely sucks for those caught in this!! Their communication on it sucks even more which in many ways is one of the biggest issues IMO. Not knowing is the worse thing IMO.

So, I'm not defending BMW at all... I've just seen this (or something like it) happen on many different cars and many different manufacturers over the years. It clearly doesn't make it any easier for the customer waiting (and that's where better communication is key) and in some ways ruins the experience... which sucks for you and it also sucks for BMW. Clearly just a lose/lose scenario.
I agree. Work in CS type job for a Fortune 50 company. Nothing pisses off customers like me more than lack of communication.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #39
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

P.S. I also wonder if this has anything to do with the alignment issues some have reported on the F80? Maybe its really a wheel issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #40
bmwhoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah dude, I get pissed when I don't know where my Amazon Zico subscription is. Not knowing about the delay or when and how it will be resolved on a $80k+ car is nuts. BMW def needs to benchmark its customer service experience. Have only owned BMWs since 2001 but this is testing my brand loyalty. Planning to replace my X5 early next year and am now finding myself pricing out Cayennes.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #41
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:

Got ya. I probably was misreading you. Mixed with the blind rage that I'm feeling for not knowing where my car is. My apathetic CA doesn't help matters much.

Personally, as we're hurtling toward another cold new England winter, I don't care much about not getting my before spring of 2015. But if there are changes to the roof and I end up taking delivery of a car with an old roof sometime after cars with new roofs are built, I'll be livid.

I'm getting myself even more worked up by typing this, but it's also frustrating that BMW isn't allowing users to change wheels to get around this 6-9 week delay.

I need a whiskey
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 11:41 PM   #42
utsteve98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Of course communication sucks. They speak German and we speak English. Language barrier!!! Haha.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #43
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Looking around at 14 M5s on the lot. Some nice stuff still out there. And you can lease cheaper than an M3. Lets hope this gets resolved soon or I may buy the big bro lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #44
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

A friend of mine is leasing a m6 for 1k no down. If i can get my hands on one, ill definitely jump ship. Im really shocked at how cars are going into production. Feels like a lottery. Total BS
Appreciate 0