ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-18-2019, 06:36 AM   #1
JaydenorM5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Capristo Exhaust Spare Pipes w/Muffler

Guys,
Did some research and can’t find much info on this.
Anyone had experience with this or detail info?
Part# is 02BM07403003
It’s priced fair in my opinion and want to get some headsup before purchase please!

https://www.vividracing.com/capristo...152563063.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 06:47 AM   #2
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Save yourself $1000 and weld in some Magnaflow resonators. <$200 for the pair and $200 for install, tops. It'll sound the same. Not much acoustic variance on this exhaust note besides amount of rasp.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #3
JaydenorM5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10M5

No wonder it was cheap...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #4
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaydenorM5 View Post
Not sure where you were trying to go with this, but I was trying to offer a constructive, proven, and reasonably priced solution that I installed and am very happy with (among many others), regardless of price.

The point of all these front section mods is to delete the secondary cats and reduce rasp. Each option available goes about this solution differently, but the end result is basically the same, aside from volume.

I even went a step farther and bought a used OEM mid section up to H pipe resonator for $180, had a shop weld in the Magnaflows, and then cut & clamped in the same position as the Capristo pipes are. That way, I could hot swap back to stock whenever needed.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #5
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

None of the aftermarket midpipes have the right type of resonators to increase the noise level and keep the note smooth. You can't get a good note out of straight pipe, cats and unpacked resonators or turbulence chambers like the stock resonator.

What I do is join the twin pipes into one for about 5" and exit the join back into two and replace the secondary cats and resonator with 4 perforated tube resonators 12" long and 4" round packed with stainless wool and with the valves open on a stock rear muffler particularly with catless down pipes, is reasonably loud with a high pitched smooth note, no rasp and no farty V6 dual exhaust sound.

I don't get why none of the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers do this and only do half a job. It's a no brainer to join twin pipes to remove the farty sound of an inline 6 or V6 and fit enough resonators of a loudish and smooth design to remove the raspyness.
Attached Images

Last edited by RevNev; 07-19-2019 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #6
GoodtoGo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaydenorM5 View Post
Not sure where you were trying to go with this, but I was trying to offer a constructive, proven, and reasonably priced solution that I installed and am very happy with (among many others), regardless of price.

The point of all these front section mods is to delete the secondary cats and reduce rasp. Each option available goes about this solution differently, but the end result is basically the same, aside from volume.

I even went a step farther and bought a used OEM mid section up to H pipe resonator for $180, had a shop weld in the Magnaflows, and then cut & clamped in the same position as the Capristo pipes are. That way, I could hot swap back to stock whenever needed.
I did nearly the same, but used Vibrant resonators. Eliminated midpipe cats and have zero rasp and deeper tone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ntg442888.50
guess2098516.00