Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #89
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post
Definitely backwards in the 991.1 ..see pic -- you can see you have to push forward to upshift (lame!)

WOW. I did not know the 991.1 was that way! That would be a complete deal breaker for me.

Porsche makes some very odd changes at times. For example, you use to be able to KICK DOWN in PDK. MAsh the gas, press back once and drop 2 gears.

They REMOVED that from the 991.2. They argument was, slap the center stick to full auto and mash it. The 991.1 allows kick down. So I dont get it.

Im blown away to see that in a 911.
      04-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #90
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
WOW. I did not know the 991.1 was that way! That would be a complete deal breaker for me.

Porsche makes some very odd changes at times. For example, you use to be able to KICK DOWN in PDK. MAsh the gas, press back once and drop 2 gears.

They REMOVED that from the 991.2. They argument was, slap the center stick to full auto and mash it. The 991.1 allows kick down. So I dont get it.

Im blown away to see that in a 911.

Sheesh. That's a stupid argument for removing the kickdown feature.

Regarding the 991.1 shifter- yea it would be a deal breaker for me if the steering wheel wasn't cheap or easy to replace (which it is)- so I doubt it will be a long term issue for me (since I hardly ever use the DCT shift knob in my F80).

Another interesting thing to get used to is the fact that the PDK shifter itself is like a typical P-R-N-D shifter like any other car. Super intuitive unless you've been driving BMWs for the past 20 years lol. No quirkyness (left and up for reverse..left for neutral, right for drive, etc).
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #91
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Are you getting it from a Porsche dealer? Would be nice to get CPO on it...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 07:28 PM   #92
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
). Of course, it's way slower than my F80 in a straight line, but feels sublime in handling, has a way better ride, and sounds amazing- especially with the exhaust valves open.
I noticed you brought up the straight line pace.

Personally I think that’s a hugely important consideration and I hope you are being really honest about how much this matters to you, and how you’ll use the car.

I know for me, I passed on 981 and 991.1 because I just did not feel good about the 110-115mph trap speeds. “Feel” is great but that’s lightly modded hot hatch territory.

You’re going to be an key target in the canyons and DEs and will need to upgrade your tires and skills or just give the point bys
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #93
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I noticed you brought up the straight line pace.

Personally I think that’s a hugely important consideration and I hope you are being really honest about how much this matters to you, and how you’ll use the car.

I know for me, I passed on 981 and 991.1 because I just did not feel good about the 110-115mph trap speeds. “Feel” is great but that’s lightly modded hot hatch territory.

You’re going to be an key target in the canyons and DEs and will need to upgrade your tires and skills or just give the point bys

I have no idea what you said above. Can anyone else translate?

To be honest, straight line speed was never important when I was living in Seattle. The mountain roads were never straight and the interstates were too choppy and short to get beyond 80-100 mph (when they were deserted). In my E92 M3, I felt very comfortable and confident really hammering the car in the mountains...but in the F80, with the tune, I never felt totally confident..the car always felt like it has too much power and not enough feel...and like I mentioned wasn't that "fun" to hear the engine stretch out. Even putting the tune back to stock didn't really help me gain confidence with it.

I only brought out the straight line speed because....now that I'm living in Georgia, I've noticed there are a crap ton more modded cars everywhere (especially the american cars), the roads are perfect and wide..and it's fun to wind out the car a little when traffic is non existent on the rural roads.

Lastly, the ride is super choppy in the F80..to the point where it's teeth gritting going over a small bit of bad road or a rail road track...and I noticed in the 991 (and even in the GT4) they tend to soak up the road better. They just felt better damped daily driving but even more responsive and taught when hammering away.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 08:56 PM   #94
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

I have no idea what you said above. Can anyone else translate?

To be honest, straight line speed was never important when I was living in Seattle. The mountain roads were never straight and the interstates were too choppy and short to get beyond 80-100 mph (when they were deserted). In my E92 M3, I felt very comfortable and confident really hammering the car in the mountains...but in the F80, with the tune, I never felt totally confident..the car always felt like it has too much power and not enough feel...and like I mentioned wasn't that "fun" to hear the engine stretch out. Even putting the tune back to stock didn't really help me gain confidence with it.

I only brought out the straight line speed because....now that I'm living in Georgia, I've noticed there are a crap ton more modded cars everywhere (especially the american cars), the roads are perfect and wide..and it's fun to wind out the car a little when traffic is non existent on the rural roads.

Lastly, the ride is super choppy in the F80..to the point where it's teeth gritting going over a small bit of bad road or a rail road track...and I noticed in the 991 (and even in the GT4) they tend to soak up the road better. They just felt better damped daily driving but even more responsive and taught when hammering away.
Ah sorry for being confusing.

What I was saying is that I expect drivers of everything fast and cheap (eg golf r, focus RS) with light mods and R tires to be right on your rear bumper, and you potentially not being able to do much about it other than pull over and let them by

If you’re going to buy a fancy branded sports car, at least get the big engine power so you can use straights to get away from cheap car drivers pushing hard to make a YouTube vid of themselves hanging with you
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #95
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

What I was saying is that I expect drivers of everything fast and cheap (eg golf r, focus RS) with light mods and R tires to be right on your rear bumper, and you potentially not being able to do much about it other than pull over and let them by
No worries

Eh- that's not a concern. I'm not competing with those folks and trying to be speed racer. I just want to open the sunroof, be able to wind out the car and hear the glorious engine sound, and just enjoy a beautiful piece of machinery...at my own pace
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #96
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
No worries

Eh- that's not a concern. I'm not competing with those folks and trying to be speed racer. I just want to open the sunroof, be able to wind out the car and hear the glorious engine sound, and just enjoy a beautiful piece of machinery...at my own pace

And it is a beautiful machine
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #97
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:

If you’re going to buy a fancy branded sports car, at least get the big engine power so you can use straights to get away from cheap car drivers pushing hard to make a YouTube vid of themselves hanging with you
Is any of this actually a concern to people? You can mod anything to be fast...doesn’t really matter.
Do you think people in a GT2/3/4 care that a Panamera turbo or E63S are faster in a straight line? No, bc they are ultimately in a car that is more of an experience and is a better drive despite how those two cars some of the best performance sedans on the market.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6048.00
      04-09-2019, 05:34 PM   #98
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
Is any of this actually a concern to people? You can mod anything to be fast...doesn’t really matter.
Do you think people in a GT2/3/4 care that a Panamera turbo or E63S are faster in a straight line? No, bc they are ultimately in a car that is more of an experience and is a better drive despite how those two cars some of the best performance sedans on the market.
Yes, I know for a fact it’s a concern.

A friend and his father never took their Carrera GT and 599 and Gallardo Superleggera to the track other than private track days to avoid exactly that scenario that I described.

I personally didn’t get 981 S because I do like to do highway pulls with my friends and am not interested in a car with such a low acceleration potential.

End of the day, everyone has a different usage pattern,
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #99
tropicalypso
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Occasionally

That new X3M is intriguing.