Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

05-16-2022, 12:25 PM   #1
smoovvveee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' Alpine White BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [7.30]
Painting Intakes and Engine parts

So I have a set of powder coated intakes, that I used paint stripped to remove all the way down to bare metal. And now comes the time to paint them and I was told to use engine enamel paint or any heat resistant paint, so that the paint doesn't chip off or whatnot.

However, these major companies like SSR and IND offer engine bay products that are color matched to specific F80 colors and I'm just wondering do they just use regular automotive paint and the regular steps taken to paint a item as you would a car. I have access to a paint booth and shop and was just thinking if I can color match items instead of using general color engine enamels.

Main point is, Can I use automotive paint for engine bay products as it gets pretty hot in there and have them not chip or damage?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 08:26 AM   #2
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Intakes and engine covers can be regular paint. They do not get hot enough like exhaust headers... the chassis engine bay paint isnt flaking off due to heat right?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 11:36 AM   #3
smoovvveee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' Alpine White BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [7.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
Intakes and engine covers can be regular paint. They do not get hot enough like exhaust headers... the chassis engine bay paint isnt flaking off due to heat right?
Wow honestly I had overlooked that fact the engine bay where the intakes go in use regular paint. It's just that all these tutorials and DIY say to use engine enamel but I thought to myself there's no way it can get that hot. But now when I look at it like that, it seems like common sense. Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0