European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-15-2022, 10:43 AM   #1
yami sukehiro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

m3 dct jerky off the line

context: first time driving a car with a dct, used to AWD auto gearboxes and so I'm used to being able to floor it at any point in time, including off full stops

I notice that I can't do that with this 2018 m3. If I go too hard on the accelerator off a red light, and this varies it could be > say 30-40% force, the car will jerk around a bit (rocking back and forth like it's struggling to set into gear). Is this normal and expected? I'm driving in all sport plus settings + D2.

I assumed this is just natural with the DCT but since I've never driven a manual nor a DCT I just want to confirm this is not a vehicle issue itself. Maybe I just need to get used to it?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 11:00 AM   #2
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Yes, that's the nature of the 7 speed DCT beast, unfortunately. You can end up looking pretty silly when taking off from a light or stop sign, even though you're in a cool car.

Besides getting used to it, you could also:

1) Start in 1st, but quickly upshift to 2nd - much smoother with less peaky torque

2) Don't smash the pedal right off the bat - feather the throttle, and only step on it harder when the car is already moving

3) Get the car coded to GTS Transmission by one of the coders available on the forums, helps to some extent with the peaky torque
Appreciate 2
      05-15-2022, 11:06 AM   #3
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Ease into throttle in a roll out then punch it…
Also, GTS flash takes a bit of the buck out of the Bronco.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #4
yami sukehiro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkenc View Post
Yes, that's the nature of the 7 speed DCT beast, unfortunately. You can end up looking pretty silly when taking off from a light or stop sign, even though you're in a cool car.

Besides getting used to it, you could also:

1) Start in 1st, but quickly upshift to 2nd - much smoother with less peaky torque

2) Don't smash the pedal right off the bat - feather the throttle, and only step on it harder when the car is already moving

3) Get the car coded to GTS Transmission by one of the coders available on the forums, helps to some extent with the peaky torque
Oooh interesting, will look into getting the gts flash
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 12:09 PM   #5
ChuMpion3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT (x2)

You should have felt it in a 2015 model.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      05-15-2022, 12:21 PM   #6
McIntoshMotorSports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80M3

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
As some others in the past have noted, your seating position is absolutely crucial. Especially in Sport or Sport Plus if you are not properly in a "race" position, you can get thrown back when the you step on it which pulls your leg and foot off the accelerator. Intuition kicks in and you'll likely press into the pedal more continuing this back and forth motion.

I like Misha's video on this, a bit long but very informative. Spend some time in your driveway dialing in your seat position, it really does make a difference!

Appreciate 2
      05-15-2022, 05:04 PM   #7
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
This is why we now have boring auto in G8x cars, zero skill or drama.
Appreciate 2
Kilabyte3946.50
      05-15-2022, 07:39 PM   #8
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

take it outta sport + throttle setting.

try sport throttle setting & 2 bars on the DCT button. less aggressive more manageable from a dead stop or parking lot speeds.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 07:49 PM   #9
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Put it in Sport+, S3, and DSC Off, then firmly slam the accelerator to the floor

JK

65fastback has good advice above. Sport+ is ridiculous and borderline unusable for me. That po-go (rocking back & forth) effect is your foot brushing the accelerator as the torque pushes you back, but in Sport+ the sensitivity is dialed to 11 so that brushing is resulting in quite substantial on/off throttle inputs. It is not the result of the DCT. Dial it back to sport or even use efficient for maximum modulation. I've got M1 set as my daily and M2 set as my track/canyon blast setup.

M1: Efficient Throttle, Comfort Suspension, Comfort Steering, S1, Full DSC
M2: Efficient Throttle, Sport Plus Suspension, Comfort Steering, S2, MDM (Or DSC off if conditions permit)
      05-15-2022, 08:26 PM   #10
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

No issues with my 6-spd, I know when the pedals are on/ off switches and when they're not Sport+ caught me off guard a couple of times when I first got the car though.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 09:59 PM   #11
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
You need to be smooth in Sport+ without it being herky jerky from my experience is due to uneven foot pressure. I eventually starting sitting closing to the pedals so I can really roll my foot all the way down.

Another thing you can try is to tap the gas first and let the car engage the DCT and then roll on the throttle.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 10:02 PM   #12
yami sukehiro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the suggestions guys, definitely going to get the GTS performance flash ASAP. I don't think I can ever get used to this jerky DCT, there is also the issue of seating position. I've been driving my dad's m550 for the longest time and angle my foot actually interacts with the pedal is so drastically different than with this m3 which probably causes some of the jerkiness. I've tried for a week to ease into the throttle but it doesn't really work for me nor does it feel sustainable. Flash it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 10:25 PM   #13
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yami sukehiro View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys, definitely going to get the GTS performance flash ASAP. I don't think I can ever get used to this jerky DCT, there is also the issue of seating position. I've been driving my dad's m550 for the longest time and angle my foot actually interacts with the pedal is so drastically different than with this m3 which probably causes some of the jerkiness. I've tried for a week to ease into the throttle but it doesn't really work for me nor does it feel sustainable. Flash it is.
You haven't even had the car a week yet right?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 10:53 PM   #14
yami sukehiro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj505 View Post
You haven't even had the car a week yet right?
i've had it for 6 ish days now. being impatient but I don't really see a reason not to get the gts flash tbh
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 11:21 PM   #15
AychShake
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

Quote:
i've had it for 6 ish days now. being impatient but I don't really see a reason not to get the gts flash tbh
I've had my car about 2 weeks now and am about to get it away from a stop without it being jerky 90% of the time. Like another reply said, tap the gas, let it roll and then gently ease on the gas.

I'm going to get the gts flash too but just want to get used to it as it is so when I get the flash I really notice the difference!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 11:29 PM   #16
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The GTS flash is an improvement overall, yes, however the DCT flash in isolation won't fix your po-go issue. The transmission has nothing to do with the jerking once the clutch is engaged over 3mph in 1st; it either slips for smoothness prior to 3mph or is completely engaged above - there is no in-between. The core issue is sport+ being very sensitive.

If you're going to flash and want to counter act that specifically, then you will want to also flash the GTS diff (also GTS steering is a must but that's another subject). The combo of GTS DCT and Diff do really make taking off much smoother and effective, however, if you don't control your right foot in Sport+ you can still have the same issue.
      05-15-2022, 11:39 PM   #17
yami sukehiro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:
The GTS flash is an improvement overall, yes, however the DCT flash in isolation won't fix your po-go issue. The transmission has nothing to do with the jerking once the clutch is engaged over 3mph in 1st; it either slips for smoothness prior to 3mph or is completely engaged above - there is no in-between. The core issue is sport+ being very sensitive.

If you're going to flash and want to counter act that specifically, then you will want to also flash the GTS diff (also GTS steering is a must but that's another subject). The combo of GTS DCT and Diff do really make taking off much smoother and effective, however, if you don't control your right foot in Sport+ you can still have the same issue.
This is the one I was looking at: https://bimmer-remote.com/products/g...-m3-m4-f80-f82

Seems to have all the GTS codings as far as I can see? As for the throttle, yeah I'm trying my best to ease into how, but I feel like there's always some inconsistencies sometimes and I still get the jerkiness occasionally
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 12:18 AM   #18
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
This is the one I was looking at: https://bimmer-remote.com/products/g...-m3-m4-f80-f82

Seems to have all the GTS codings as far as I can see? As for the throttle, yeah I'm trying my best to ease into how, but I feel like there's always some inconsistencies sometimes and I still get the jerkiness occasionally
Yes that's kubax86 - he's very good, did my coding on my old M4. I would do all of those, they're all positive improvements. I do agree with the sentiment above that you should take sometime to learn the car and get used to it as is - it'll make the flashes more impactful and you'll utilize them more meaningfully. Also, to level-set expectations, these flashes don't give you a completely new car; they take an already great foundation and add the 5% of extra magic that really unlocks the car in stock form.

A note on CS damping as part of the package, it will be a noticeable improvement to the ZCP damping however, it is designed to be paired with the base (non-ZCP) sway bar. On the street you won't really notice it but if you drive in a performance setting you'll get a tad more understeer than you otherwise would have if you had the correct sway bar.
      05-16-2022, 01:19 AM   #19
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

I would switch to Sport mode then move on to Sport Plus. You need to modulate the pedal off the line.

GTS flash will help a lot too.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2022, 07:34 AM   #20
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Be consistent with the throttle pedal when pulling away, if your throttle application isnt smooth the car will buck pretty bad.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2022, 09:59 AM   #21
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Just sell the F8x and get a G8x.
This car isn’t for you. Then your going to complain how the suspension is so rough or there is no Park button, etc.

If you bought this M3 and weren’t aware of DCT jerkiness then you obviously didn’t research the car. The F8x is not smooth, its like a raw wild horse, you can try to tame it with these flash tunes but it will not solve what the car is. Some people love it and other can never get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 10:08 AM   #22
yami sukehiro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Quote:

Just sell the F8x and get a G8x.
This car isn't for you. Then your going to complain how the suspension is so rough or there is no Park button, etc.

If you bought this M3 and weren't aware of DCT jerkiness then you obviously didn't research the car. The F8x is not smooth, its like a raw wild horse, you can try to tame it with these flash tunes but it will not solve what the car is. Some people love it and other can never get used to it.
I think this is a big overreaction bro. Even I'm blowing the jerky nature out of proportion, in reality it's more of an annoyance once could live with if they had to.

I feel like I drive pretty hard on the streets and i don't really know about how 'Raw' the f80 is. It definitely feels sportier and dialed in than what I was driving before but I can't really say it's anything insane as of yet tbh.

No other qualms about the vehicle from me. The e92 I drove for a bit on vacation felt more 'raw' if that makes sense
Appreciate 0