GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
zims2730
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Odd noises after shut off and blinking light on Shifter DCT?

Guys, figured I'd post here first, not sure it's anything (or even new) but just noticed. Does anyone else's car make odd noises after shut off, if I stay in the garage for 10-15 minutes, I can hear the car making electrical type noises. Almost like it's trying to turn something on. Also noticed the shifter light (on top of the actual physical shift knob) blinks (flashes) a red light in the "centered" position. Is this all normal?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
r_gilozabar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Pretty normal. Same thing happens on my 5 series as well
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #3
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zims2730 View Post
Guys, figured I'd post here first, not sure it's anything (or even new) but just noticed. Does anyone else's car make odd noises after shut off, if I stay in the garage for 10-15 minutes, I can hear the car making electrical type noises. Almost like it's trying to turn something on. Also noticed the shifter light (on top of the actual physical shift knob) blinks (flashes) a red light in the "centered" position. Is this all normal?
First part is all extremely normal.

My DCT makes all sorts of odd noises here and there.....it's like after it's parked, it goes into another mode planning and plotting through clicks, whistles and brrrrrrs.

I've only noticed the shifter light on the DCT shifter itself blink when i've put it in Reverse and then open the door and the car automatically goes to Neutral. Physically it's in R, but actually in N...so it blinks to remind you of such.

Never seen it blink just sitting in the central position.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Yes it's just the car turning itself off or getting ready to.

Wonders of the digital age when everything is controlled by a computer.
      07-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #5
edb4164
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW ///M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zims2730 View Post
I've seen mine blink in the central position also. Wondered if this is normal or not. No fault codes or anything else on the display.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:53 PM   #6
edb4164
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW ///M4

Any feedback from other experts on the blinking shifter light? I literally searched high and low for details on this but cannot come up with an explanation. A part of the manual eludes that the shifting indicator light (the small dot between the 4 arrows on the shifter) blinks when the position of the shifter is different than the actual gear the car is in. However, mine will sometimes blink even if the shifter is in the center position, in park after shutting the car off in drive.
Appreciate 0