Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

06-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #111
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 S4 Avant, F80 M3, F31 328d

You do not have the full circuitry for the headlights to work. I know for a fact your headlights do not perform the same as Paul cause i had the same headlights as you before i bought EU spec ones. I do now know how to get through to you that the headlights are different internally with the same part number. If you read this thread there are several people trying to let you know this. I have nothing new to contribute to this thread, everything in this thread shows what you need to have proper GFHB operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Fernisatree - Riddle me this. PaulM and I both have the exact same left and right BMW headlight part numbers. Agreed, the circuit boards on the left light do look different. It is of my opinion that they both PaulM and my headlights will perform exactly the same. Again, from an assembly standpoint, there would be no way for BMW to discern differences in parts when they have the same part number. Do we really think that these parts are sub sorted, at assembly, by a manufacturer part number which somehow differs from the BMW part number? I don't think so and only a BMW employee could tell us for sure what the real deal is with these lights. I still have 3 LEDs on the bottom of my left light.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #112
PaulM
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 440i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernisatree View Post
So the video is kinda shaky but this is pretty much what my headlights do on the autobahn. Since oncoming traffic is there and you are going at a higher speed the left high beam usually doesn't move until its been awhile for traffic coming by. I do not know the timing. Paul it looks like you have the required hardware, unfortunately noone you do not. Maybe the glare you have Paul is from the locking tabs? I have no idea what or where they are honestly. Also to keep note it is a computer and camera, it takes time for the computer to register headlights or tail lights. There has been times driving over here the headlights did not tunnel cause it didnt register the car in front of me. Maybe this is what you are having? I get a split second of glare from adaptive headlights over here all the time and is considered normal. It is the constant glare that is no good. Paul when you drive around does it look like a tunnel shadow with the headlights in the middle with low beams? There is a thread with the beam pattern picture around here somewhere give me this weekend and ill find it. Sorry for the word vomit but its late here and i feel bad for not responding earlier.
Thank you for taking the time!
When I drove at slower speeds, 70-75 km/h, I would indeed see the tunnel around the car in front of me, and it looked like what you're describing with slight glare that doesn't last very long.
The problem is when I tried it on the highway at higher speeds (122 km/h in the video and also tried it at 100 km/h during the same drive) I would not see the tunnel around the cars in front of me, I would only see the passenger side of the road illuminated with high beams and the driver side would only have low beams even though there was no oncoming traffic for a while.
I'm wondering if it's maybe an issue with the coding in terms of how the GFHB behave at different speeds?
Looking at various BMW GFHB videos posted online, it would seem that shutting all high beam LEDs on the driver side is not what should happen when oncoming traffic is detected. To better illustrate what I mean, I added a few drawings of how the light cutoff looked while on the highway for my car in comparison to what they looked like in other videos (sorry for my poor drawing skills).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I coded each parameter one by one. I can share my cheat sheet.
That would be great! Do your headlights behave similarly to mine on the highway after coding VLD and GFHB?

Thanks

Paul
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 07:01 PM   #113
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
Thank you for taking the time!
When I drove at slower speeds, 70-75 km/h, I would indeed see the tunnel around the car in front of me, and it looked like what you're describing with slight glare that doesn't last very long.
The problem is when I tried it on the highway at higher speeds (122 km/h in the video and also tried it at 100 km/h during the same drive) I would not see the tunnel around the cars in front of me, I would only see the passenger side of the road illuminated with high beams and the driver side would only have low beams even though there was no oncoming traffic for a while.
I'm wondering if it's maybe an issue with the coding in terms of how the GFHB behave at different speeds?
Looking at various BMW GFHB videos posted online, it would seem that shutting all high beam LEDs on the driver side is not what should happen when oncoming traffic is detected. To better illustrate what I mean, I added a few drawings of how the light cutoff looked while on the highway for my car in comparison to what they looked like in other videos (sorry for my poor drawing skills).

That would be great! Do your headlights behave similarly to mine on the highway after coding VLD and GFHB?

Thanks

Paul
My GFHB behave similarly to your on the highway, which is normal, since the uncoming cars are rather far away being seperated by the wide median, it is not really possible to make the dark tunnel around them, but the right high beam stays on for a clear far ahead view of road signs and the shoulder.

Your video doesn't show what happens when you follow a car. In my case, in single lane country roads, I can clearly see the tunnel in front of me when either following or crossing oncoming cars. While following a truck, I doodled with the lights to test them (knowing I would not bother the driver too much because of the box). When I turned off the HBA, both sides of the road would become dark. When I turned on the manual high beams, the back of the truck would light up brightly along with the sides of the road. When I switched on the HBA, both sides of the road would remain illuminated but the back of the truck would become dark.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:09 AM   #114
PaulM
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 440i xdrive

When I would follow a car on single lane country roads, I would see a tunnel around the car in front of me.
On the highway I would only get the passenger side shoulder illuminated, whether I had a car in front of me or a truck. If I would turn the GFHB off, only the passenger side shoulder would dim, the driver side wouldn't change since it was already on low beams.
I'll test it some more in the coming days, ideally on darker roads.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #115
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

You guys certainly have been busy while I was away. There are a few other things that haven't been mentioned that I'm now aware of. The refelector optics are different for US Market regardless of which LED board is installed, but that is minor compared to the other more significant variables of which I cannot see a way to disseminate for public use.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 03:16 AM   #116
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
When I would follow a car on single lane country roads, I would see a tunnel around the car in front of me.
On the highway I would only get the passenger side shoulder illuminated, whether I had a car in front of me or a truck. If I would turn the GFHB off, only the passenger side shoulder would dim, the driver side wouldn't change since it was already on low beams.
I'll test it some more in the coming days, ideally on darker roads.

Paul
I think that’s how it is supposed to behave...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #117
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2018 M3 F80

Quote:
I think that’s how it is supposed to behave...
Can you share the cheatsheet with me ?

I would like to test it on my car this week.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 06:22 PM   #118
mossman1120
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

So I just got a brand new 2020 M4 and as far as I can tell both the driver and passenger side headlights look like this:

Name:  78CA1F32-8B20-43A1-BE11-74812C2F583C.jpeg
Views: 647
Size:  380.8 KB

Based on my understand of what people are reporting I have the hardware required to code the GFHB?

(the picture is borrowed from above)

Last edited by mossman1120; 12-30-2019 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 09:17 AM   #119
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

I’m kicking around the idea of picking up a set of euro-spec headlights. Does anyone know what region got part numbers 63117498919 and 63117498920? I know they’re LHD, but not much else.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 06:08 AM   #120
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
I’m kicking around the idea of picking up a set of euro-spec headlights. Does anyone know what region got part numbers 63117498919 and 63117498920? I know they’re LHD, but not much else.
Not to sure of the region. I have seen a set of these on the local classified ads in Germany. Since you are in Italy you could probably easily get a set off ebay or the local classified ads in Germany without paying import fees. The part numbers I know that worked for me where 63118738705 and 63118738706. Also search f80 LCI or even F32 or F33 since the 4 series headlights are the same, ensure the headlights are adaptive as well.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2020, 04:45 PM   #121
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman1120 View Post
So I just got a brand new 2020 M4 and as far as I can tell both the driver and passenger side headlights look like this:

Attachment 2208648

Based on my understand of what people are reporting I have the hardware required to code the GFHB?

(the picture is borrowed from above)
I honestly don't believe there is a difference in with the overall LED array with the US and RoW headlights; features such as VLD & GFHB are simple disabled via software.

The reason I'm sure of this is because Canada shares the same headlights as North America and they recently approved Glare Free High Beam, VLD, and "Matrix" operation, while the US still hasn't caught up.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/euro...x-led-2180249/

https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/...GRE-79-06e.pdf

If the headlights for Canada required different hardware to perform these unique functions, the part numbers would be different between the US and Canada. They're identical.

The reason the headlight part numbers vary between the US/Canada and the RoW is because all US headlights headlights must have a physical control for vertical and horizontal beam adjustment, side markers, and a US DOT stamp indicting it was lab tested to meet US/Canada standards, the RoW doesn't have to meet such requirements.

The only thing stopping US-spec vehicles from enabling the European and now Canada aforementioned features is simple VO coding.

It's easier for BMW to bridle these features via coding than engineering a separate, individual underlining headlight technology, for each specific region, when it can be cost-effective & easily controlled electronically.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2020, 05:29 PM   #122
mossman1120
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I honestly don't believe there is a difference in with the overall LED array with the US and RoW headlights; features such as VLD & GFHB are simple disabled via software.

The reason I'm sure of this is because Canada shares the same headlights as North America and they recently approved Glare Free High Beam, VLD, and "Matrix" operation, while the US still hasn't caught up.

If the headlights for Canada required different hardware to performance these unique functions, the part number would be different between the US and Canada. They're identical.

The reason the headlight part numbers vary between the US/Canada and the RoW is because all US headlights headlights must have a physical control for vertical and horizontal beam adjustment and a US DOT stamp indicting it was lab tested to meet US output limitations, the RoW doesn't.

The only thing stopping US-spec vehicles from enabling the European and now Canada aforementioned features is simple VO coding.

It's easier for BMW to bridle these features via coding than engineering a separate headlight just for each region, when it can be controlled electronically.
So going with this it could explain why some of the LCI refresh models has the missing driver side board. After that was approved they started using the same part which is why mine and some of others here have the full driver side board.

I am going to try and get my Euro coded once I complete my break in service and see what happens. I am keeping my fingers crossed and will report back.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      01-04-2020, 05:59 PM   #123
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

CanAutM3 - Would you mind sharing your coding cheat sheet so we can play around with GFHB? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 09:00 AM   #124
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If the headlights for Canada required different hardware to perform these unique functions, the part numbers would be different between the US and Canada. They're identical.

The reason the headlight part numbers vary between the US/Canada and the RoW is because all US headlights headlights must have a physical control for vertical and horizontal beam adjustment, side markers, and a US DOT stamp indicting it was lab tested to meet US/Canada standards, the RoW doesn't have to meet such requirements.

It's easier for BMW to bridle these features via coding than engineering a separate, individual underlining headlight technology, for each specific region, when it can be cost-effective & easily controlled electronically.

I would agree with you except I have a US spec vehicle that was not able to code proper GFHB and was physically different than ROW. I bought a set of EU headlights and the GFHB worked properly and had different LED arrays. If you keep telling people that there is no difference these people will be going around blinding everyone. Please do not give out false information.

The only thing I can tell now is possibly the Canadian cars are getting different headlights now. But some members from Canada are reporting they are still not working properly. This whole thread talks about all of this towards the end.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 09:52 AM   #125
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
I would agree with you except I have a US spec vehicle that was not able to code proper GFHB and was physically different than ROW. I bought a set of EU headlights and the GFHB worked properly and had different LED arrays. If you keep telling people that there is no difference these people will be going around blinding everyone. Please do not give out false information.

The only thing I can tell now is possibly the Canadian cars are getting different headlights now. But some members from Canada are reporting they are still not working properly. This whole thread talks about all of this towards the end.
I tried it on my US-spec 2018 as well and it definitely didn’t work right, because I’m stuck with the limited circuitry on the left. I got flashed a lot because the right headlight was blinding oncoming traffic.

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 01-05-2020 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #126
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I already verified that Canada has the same exact part number for the 2018 to 2020 model year in the United States, feel free to verify it on your own.

Believe me, I deal with shitheads on daily basis that drive around with their high beams on, on local NYC streets, for no reason, I would not encourage anyone to glaring others but merely pointing out the similarities in hardware, since that's the subject at hand.

From what I understand, the coding for GFHB in the LED headlights are pretty intricate; there are like 12 different lines of coding, so if you don't know what you're doing, you're going to create glare due to the inaccurate operation.

Also, speaking of personal reasonability, how do you know you're not glaring others with your Euro headlights? Who coded it for you with such assurance?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #127
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I already verified that Canada has the same exact part number for the 2018 to 2020 model year in the United States, feel free to verify it on your own.

Believe me, I deal with shitheads on daily basis that drive around with their high beams on, on local NYC streets, for no reason, I would not encourage anyone to glaring others but merely pointing out the similarities in hardware, since that's the subject at hand.

From what I understand, the coding for GFHB in the LED headlights are pretty intricate; there are like 12 different lines of coding, so if you don't know what you're doing, you're going to create glare due to the inaccurate operation.

Also, speaking of personal reasonability, how do you know you're not glaring others with your Euro headlights? Who coded it for you with such assurance?

I have physical evidence back with multiple people about this and you come in here with they are the same part numbers have to be the same. Well i hate to break it to you they aren't the same and some headlights have different internals. Why do you come in here to start trouble?

I had someone else code my car remotely as like everyone else here that has tried to run the NA spec headlights and did not get good results. All of us with NA hardware were blinding traffic. So i stopped using the GFHB until i was able to get the proper hardware.

I had BOTH NA and EU spec headlights in my car BOTH coded for GFHB and the NA did not work. When I installed my EU headlights it was a night and day difference in how they operated. I have a video which shows how it works properly on my car with EU headlights. So please stop spreading disinformation unless you have more evidence than they are the same part number. There are photos that show the hardware is different internally.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #128
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have physical evidence back with multiple people about this and you come in here with they are the same part numbers have to be the same. Well i hate to break it to you they aren't the same and some headlights have different internals. Why do you come in here to start trouble?

I had someone else code my car remotely as like everyone else here that has tried to run the NA spec headlights and did not get good results. All of us with NA hardware were blinding traffic. So i stopped using the GFHB until i was able to get the proper hardware.

I had BOTH NA and EU spec headlights in my car BOTH coded for GFHB and the NA did not work. When I installed my EU headlights it was a night and day difference in how they operated. I have a video which shows how it works properly on my car with EU headlights. So please stop spreading disinformation unless you have more evidence than they are the same part number. There are photos that show the hardware is different internally.
Wow, "come here to start trouble" are you Fing serious? It's a private forum and I'm discussing the subject at hand, explain to me how I'm starting "trouble?" By that you mean "facts?"

I already gave you the part numbers to verify them yourself and realize that they the same between NA & Canada, I didn't ask you to take my word. That's my proof, your own common sense.

You're obviously set in your ways and feel your lights are superior because you overpaid to import them but the fact is GFHB in BMWs are not that great to begin with; they still glare folks from Europe, US, Mars, ect, especially if it's not coded properly. But we'll leave it at that and move on, no point in going around in circle and getting no where fast.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/new...-34878016.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #129
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It has clearly been demonstrated that US spec cars are missing LED arrays and circuitry compared to EU and Canadian cars regardless of the visible PN. Further, as posted earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
The actual part numbers are elsewhere on the back of the housing.
See post below, it's more than just 12 lines

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-05-2020 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #130
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
CanAutM3 - Would you mind sharing your coding cheat sheet so we can play around with GFHB? Thanks!
Here you go:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf VLD-GFHB Coding.pdf (16.7 KB, 249 views)

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #131
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow, "come here to start trouble" are you Fing serious? It's a private forum and I'm discussing the subject at hand, explain to me how I'm starting "trouble?" By that you mean "facts?"

I already gave you the part numbers to verify them yourself and realize that they the same between NA & Canada, I didn't ask you to take my word. That's my proof, your own common sense.

You're obviously set in your ways and feel your lights are superior because you overpaid to import them but the fact is GFHB in BMWs are not that great to begin with; they still glare folks from Europe, US, Mars, ect, especially if it's not coded properly. But we'll leave it at that and move on, no point in going around in circle and getting no where fast.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/new...-34878016.html
You are misquoting the article and stating misleading "facts". The article simply says that automated high beam can have a slight delay before adjusting when oncoming traffic suddenly appears (particularly after a blind turn), hence BMW's add was misleading stating that it "NEVER" dazzles other drivers. The article is also specific to the 1-series. The technology is still fantastic and works great with the proper code and hardware. I love it on my car and I never got flashed by anyone.

Quote:
BMW ad for anti-dazzle headlights 'misleading'
By Josie Clarke
July 13 2016 11:00 AM

An ad for BMW has been banned for making the "misleading" claim that its high beam headlight technology prevented oncoming drivers from being dazzled.

The radio ad for the BMW 1 series car said its High Beam Assist technology meant "oncoming traffic is never dazzled".

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) upheld a complaint that the claim was misleading and exaggerated the technology's capabilities.

BMW UK said High Beam Assist illuminated the road at night with full beam but a sensor monitored oncoming traffic and immediately adjusted the beam when necessary.

It was possible that there would be a delay of approximately 600 milliseconds to one second if a vehicle approached from a curve while the sensor detected the lights of the oncoming car and turned down the high beam.

The ASA said that consumers were likely to interpret the "oncoming traffic is never dazzled" as absolute.

Belfast Telegraph

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-05-2020 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #132
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It has clearly been demonstrated that US spec cars are missing LED arrays and circuitry compared to EU and Canadian cars regardless of the visible PN. Further, as posted earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
The actual part numbers are elsewhere on the back of the housing.
See post below, it's more than just 12 lines
Thanks, see my line where I listed the part numbers between the US and Canada are the same, I verified it. Pulled it from a Canadian dealership.

If you're telling me the hardware are different between the two regions, tell me how if the part numbers are identical, how can the hardware be different?

Look, let's just forget it, I can't keep this up with you guys. For argument sakes, lets just throw logic out the window and assume you're right, I'm wrong. You know, even though they share a common part numbers as the US vehicles and there is no other way to differentiate the two.
Appreciate 0