R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #67
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmock17 View Post
But the shop didn't report it as major damage. I have the original insurance estimate. It was $1700 in damage and nowhere on the estimate is there a line item for structural/frame repairs. It was Carfax who decided to report it as frame damage.
I wasn't talking about your specific problem, just one of many problems with Carfax. But yeah, what you went through was pretty ridiculous as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #68
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

wow very scary. glad you got it resolved. i always get a PPI done before any purchase, but even that isn't enough sometimes if the body shop is very good and the accident isn't reported to insurance.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #69
Bmock17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
wow very scary. glad you got it resolved. i always get a PPI done before any purchase, but even that isn't enough sometimes if the body shop is very good and the accident isn't reported to insurance.
So that is the crazy part; it was reported to insurance, geico paid for it. I guess the body shop started working with Carfax in January of 2020, so all of their previous repair records were them updated with Carfax at that time. The ridiculous part is that Carfax put the frame damage on the report, even though the insurance paperwork showed $1700 of cosmetic damage.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6018.00
      06-26-2020, 11:36 AM   #70
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

The more ridiculous part is what you had to do get carfax to take it off the report. Meaning what the fuck do they care if your car fax shows frame damage or something minor? Its literally no skin off their back but here they are being a complete pile of a company.
Appreciate 1
Bmock17597.50
      06-26-2020, 01:07 PM   #71
Bmock17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
The more ridiculous part is what you had to do get carfax to take it off the report. Meaning what the fuck do they care if your car fax shows frame damage or something minor? Its literally no skin off their back but here they are being a complete pile of a company.
That's it exactly and what I meant by my earlier post. They are literally screwing who knows how many people out of considerable amounts of money.
Appreciate 1
65fastback1132.50
      12-07-2023, 11:57 PM   #72
Krieg_138
Registered
Rep
Drives: N/A

Bmock17 Guys I apologize about resurrecting 3-1/2 year old thread but I'm literally going through the same shit as OP. Bmock17 could you send me a dm? I have a few questions that only you might have the insight for as every professional I've tried to reach out to basically doesn't know what to tell me.

My situation differs slightly as the damage was added just recently from August 2020 and Carfax won't provide context or any information besides a vague report saying moderate to severe damage.

I think the dealership who sold me the car withheld or forged something out of spite after I posted screenshots of their salesmen insulting me via text from his work phone after we argued about an issue with the car. I've gone through the same paths of checking autocheck , checking dmv history, with nothing showing up. And Carfax like with you is asking for documentation that a later owner would have no easy access to. Would deeply appreciate your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 06:56 AM   #73
Bmock17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieg_138 View Post
Bmock17 Guys I apologize about resurrecting 3-1/2 year old thread but I'm literally going through the same shit as OP. Bmock17 could you send me a dm? I have a few questions that only you might have the insight for as every professional I've tried to reach out to basically doesn't know what to tell me.

My situation differs slightly as the damage was added just recently from August 2020 and Carfax won't provide context or any information besides a vague report saying moderate to severe damage.

I think the dealership who sold me the car withheld or forged something out of spite after I posted screenshots of their salesmen insulting me via text from his work phone after we argued about an issue with the car. I've gone through the same paths of checking autocheck , checking dmv history, with nothing showing up. And Carfax like with you is asking for documentation that a later owner would have no easy access to. Would deeply appreciate your thoughts.
I’m sorry you’re going through the same thing. I’m not sure how much help I can be, but feel free to shoot me a pm.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 07:50 AM   #74
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Wow. What a mess. I’ve always felt uncomfortable with a good carfax knowing some body shops don’t report some/all repairs to carfax so you never really know if you’ve got a true clean carfax. Sorry for the ordeal the op had to go thru.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 04:56 PM   #75
M3orbust
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 srt

Wow thats a hell of a mess. I knew carfax/autocheck can't be 100 percent correct all the time with crashes not being reported or the owner paying cash, skipping ins claim. But figured it was documenting information correctly that it did have. Feel bad for you both.
I was in market this spring for a gtr, went 4 states away to buy. The 2017 gtr with 11k mileage had a clean carfax/service history.
It all went south when I started checking the paint with a elco meter digital paint gauge. Found double the thickness on drivers door and rear quarter. I grabbed the salesmen to show him the inconsistencies, I couldn't tell if he truly didn't know about it or if he did. It really didn't matter what he said,carfax reported, nor their techs. That gauge does not lie nor can be persuaded.
It's a great tool to have when shopping for a used vechile as long as you know how to use it.