European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

01-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #485
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
Interesting how in the M Town commercials you never see an M340i or M550i...
Isn't the m850 in the m-town commercials.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #486
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
And now here come the M owners about to say the M340i is not a true M car and shouldn't be in the same category. Lol.
But they aren't.............

M cars are design by bmw M team, M340 isn't............

Unless there no longer is a bmw M team or bmw has changed that development process.
The M340 has the same exact aluminum suspension (with a ///M stamp), brakes and identical electronic 100% locking LSD as a "real" M car..

Does it need to be anointed by the M gods themselves for it to be christen a true M car?

I get that you guys are trying to distinguish between the two variants but the pie has been cut so thin nowadays that separating M and M Performance is almost a pointless exercise, other than for the bragging rights.

I'll be honest, I didn't think much of the M340i before I drove one but man, that car is a rocket, handles just as good as an M2 and is as M as it's really all one would need for regular road driving, with a little pep.

The electronic 100% locking LSD was the crown-jewel of all M cars over the standard models but now that BMW has leveled the playing field and made them common amongst all, so I really don't see the advantage of an official M car anymore.
No one said the M340 isn't great, it is very great. But it isn't doesn't deserve the M moniker on the rear of the trunk, per its not designed/tuned by BMW M - in my opinion. I don't own an M, may never own one. That's cool with me, love my non-M
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #487
Sight22
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i xdrive

I think the most ironic thing about this thread is people arguing over what the actual brand is saying their own cars are classified as.

(Real)M car owner: Hey BMW, the M340 I is a fake M car!
BMW: Uh no, it's an M car now because we make the car and we say it is. Why do you say it isn't?
(Real)M car owner: Because F$#% You!
(FakeM)340i owner: I just got the car because I liked it, not because it has an M.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:24 PM   #488
Ducfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

An M340 or whatever is most certainly not an M3 nor is the current M3 what an M3 used to be. The only thing special about an M3 or M5 was that it was once the top trim level you could buy for the road. It no longer is. That’s an M3 Competition Plus CSL or whatever it is now.

As far as I know Porsche invented this game. “Carrera” was once bestowed only upon a car of mythical status, performance and rarity. Now it is the base model. Pandering to the equity built by legend into the name and initiating a never ending need to create the next top model as the legend is diluted.

I’m not against modifying cars to improve performance. I do it. But no amount of modification makes the second level trim more than the top even if it’s faster. Any car can be made to go fast but the top factory trim is the top factory trim. Period. Only thing you could do is start with the top trim and modify it. But why? You want the status of the top trim which everyone covets but won’t admit.....and you like tinkering.....and you have the money to do it.

FYI I am a BMW fan and previous owner of several M3s and M5s just took a break but thinking I’ll be back with the next M3...think I’ll like the big schnoz
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      01-17-2020, 06:31 PM   #489
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight22 View Post
I think the most ironic thing about this thread is people arguing over what the actual brand is saying their own cars are classified as.

BMW: Uh no, it's an M car now because we make the car and we say it is. Why do you say it isn't?
(FakeM)340i owner: I just got the car because I liked it, not because it has an M.
Well said and spot on. It's not a cost issue as it was in the past because all the M340i's I see are stickered at the dealership are at $70k+, if it's a personal preference to getting a G versus a F M3 then more power to you. The B58 is awesome and a lot shop heads and engineers prefer it to S55. The real problem with this thread is the /// guys getting offended what the manufacturer doing what it wants to do with THEIR monikers. Time to move on to Porsche 👋🏼

Perhaps M division should just split like Genesis did with Hyundai. Just have it be a Motorsport M4 / M5 / M8 etc.
Appreciate 1
Sight2259.00
      01-17-2020, 06:41 PM   #490
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
And now here come the M owners about to say the M340i is not a true M car and shouldn't be in the same category. Lol.
But they aren't.............

M cars are design by bmw M team, M340 isn't............

Unless there no longer is a bmw M team or bmw has changed that development process.
The M340 has the same exact aluminum suspension (with a ///M stamp), brakes and identical electronic 100% locking LSD as a "real" M car..

Does it need to be anointed by the M gods themselves for it to be christen a true M car?

I get that you guys are trying to distinguish between the two variants but the pie has been cut so thin nowadays that separating M and M Performance is almost a pointless exercise, other than for the bragging rights.

I'll be honest, I didn't think much of the M340i before I drove one but man, that car is a rocket, handles just as good as an M2 and is as M as it's really all one would need for regular road driving, with a little pep.

The electronic 100% locking LSD was the crown-jewel of all M cars over the standard models but now that BMW has leveled the playing field and made them common amongst all, so I really don't see the advantage of an official M car anymore.
No one said the M340 isn't great, it is very great. But it isn't doesn't deserve the M moniker on the rear of the trunk, per its not designed/tuned by BMW M - in my opinion. I don't own an M, may never own one. That's cool with me, love my non-M
I own a M2 and yet I really don't get all the hoopla over this marketing restructure.

To break it down to a science, a vehicle is a sum of parts attached to metal frame. So logically, If said parts are practically all the same as one on another similar frame structure, wouldn't they both more or less perform pretty much identically.

There is no black magic involved, it's just a machine. What am I missing exactly that makes an official M car that much different?

M340i also has all the same aluminum parts, such as the hood and truck and is designed on a CLAR platform, resulting in the weight-saving advantages as any current F-generation M car. So the little weight difference is also a wash.

Maybe I'm not drinking enough M Kool Aid as some of guys here but frankly, the only reason I wanted a M2 over the M240i was because of its stock electronic LSD or else I could of take it or leave it.

It's really not that serious, as I never really met a BMW I couldn't grow to like and appreciate, regardless of its moniker.

Anyone with half a brain and experience with standard BMWs of the past knows the only thing that was handicapping it's potential performance was the lack of a mechanical LSD and BMW knew that also, since they reserved that exclusively for the officially christen M cars.

Now that every M or M Performance gets the same hardware, the only thing that would possible dissuade me from not purchasing a M Performance-like model is a lack of a manual option. Which I'm now sure will be the M car's new claim to fame.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #491
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
The B58 is awesome and a lot shop heads and engineers prefer it to S55.
'Cause it's closed deck right?

Quote:
Perhaps M division should just split like Genesis did with Hyundai. Just have it be a Motorsport M4 / M5 / M8 etc.
Ironically it already kinda was, and now it's less so.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 07:40 PM   #492
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

I've got another one for you:

BMW: Hey, let's market the top base cars as ///M cars just to follow suit with Audi and MB, maybe we can sell more cars.
M340i car owner: Hey, I told you my car was a REAL M car, even BMW say so!
M3 car owner: But, but, but...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-17-2020 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
bm4w144.50
      01-17-2020, 07:44 PM   #493
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Quote:
Quote:

Well said and spot on. It's not a cost issue as it was in the past because all the M340i's I see are stickered at the dealership are at $70k+, if it's a personal preference to getting a G versus a F M3 then more power to you. The B58 is awesome and a lot shop heads and engineers prefer it to S55. The real problem with this thread is the /// guys getting offended what the manufacturer doing what it wants to do with THEIR monikers. Time to move on to Porsche 👋🏼

I liked it better when you were actually considering being done with this thread and gave us a peace out.

In reality, as an M owner, I don't give a faaaawwwwk what BMW or anyone else labels the X3m340imperformance etc or anything else like it. I prefer the driving experience an M car delivers. Now, I haven't driven the M340i so can't comment on how it drives but I have drove the X3M40i and it's quite impressive. A colleague of mine just purchased a 2020 and it's quite the machine. But, it's not comparable in many ways to the X3MComp I drove. Doesn't make it shit, it's just not the same. So whatever that means to anyone, I don't care.

I also don't care about anyone's history with the BMW brand, how many driving schools you been to or how small your penis is that your compensating for. I drove the cars I drive for me and that's really all anyone needs to worry about. Stop justifying why you bought an M340i and why you THINK it's so great. You like it and that's why you bought it. Enjoy it. It's quite simple
JeremyDFW458.00
      01-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #494
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I own a M2 and yet I really don't get all the hoopla over this marketing restructure.

To break it down to a science, a vehicle is a sum of parts attached to metal frame. So logically, If said parts are practically all the same as one on another similar frame structure, wouldn't they both more or less perform pretty much identically.

There is no black magic involved, it's just a machine. What am I missing exactly that makes an official M car that much different?

M340i also has all the same aluminum parts, such as the hood and truck and is designed on a CLAR platform, resulting in the weight-saving advantages as any current F-generation M car. So the little weight difference is also a wash.

Maybe I'm not drinking enough M Kool Aid as some of guys here but frankly, the only reason I wanted a M2 over the M240i was because of its stock electronic LSD or else I could of take it or leave it.

It's really not that serious, as I never really met a BMW I couldn't grow to like and appreciate, regardless of its moniker.

Anyone with half a brain and experience with standard BMWs of the past knows the only thing that was handicapping it's potential performance was the lack of a mechanical LSD and BMW knew that also, since they reserved that exclusively for the officially christen M cars.

Now that every M or M Performance gets the same hardware, the only thing that would possible dissuade me from not purchasing a M Performance-like model is a lack of a manual option. Which I'm now sure will be the M car's new claim to fame.
We can't really compare the G2X M340i with the F8X M3 since it is not same chassis, but the F8X M3 is about 200lb lighter, that's pretty significant.

We'll have to wait and see what BMW does to the G8X M3/4 to keep the weight down.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #495
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Quote:
The B58 is awesome and a lot shop heads and engineers prefer it to S55.
'Cause it's closed deck right?

Quote:
Ironically it already kinda was, and now it's less so.
The B58 is a closed deck that can handle over 1000hp. Awesome engine and basis for the next gen S58
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321104.50
      01-17-2020, 07:54 PM   #496
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:

I've got another one for you:

BMW: Hey, let's market the top base cars as ///M cars just to follow suit with Audi and MB, we might sell more cars
M340 car owner: Hey, I told you my car was a REAL M car, even BMW say so
M3 car owner: But, but, but...

Point out just one M340i owner here that said their vehicle is now an M car due to this news. Just one and only one.. I'll wait.

All I see are pages upon pages of real M car owners, with fragile egos, that's getting bent out of shape due to a marketing decision that has no bearing on their own vehicle.

It's very telling that some of guys insecurities can eat you up alive.

Unless you live your life a quarter mile at a time, you're not even going to use 50% of the potential any of these vehicles can product, so the dick-measuring contest is moot.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 07:59 PM   #497
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Point out just one M340i owner here that said their vehicle is now an M car due to this news. Just one and only one.. I'll wait.

All I see are pages upon pages of real M car owners, with fragile egos, that's getting bent out of shape due to a marketing decision that has no bearing on their own vehicle.

Unless you live your life a quarter mile at a time, you're not even going to use 50% of the potential any of these vehicles can product, so the dick-measuring contest is moot.
It starts with the second post in this thread...

Appreciate 1
bm4w144.50
      01-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #498
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It starts with the second post in this thread...
That's dude is humble peoples; he was being facetious in pointing out that the news would cause M car owners to feel threatened and flock in droves, in a poor attempt to place their vehicle on a pedestal, now that BMW restructuring their model lineup..

Good thing he was dead wrong..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 08:10 PM   #499
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The B58 is a closed deck that can handle over 1000hp. Awesome engine and basis for the next gen S58
Yeah, just like the S55 which you claimed was open deck. So much for all that technical knowledge from tearing down engines.
Appreciate 3
      01-17-2020, 08:11 PM   #500
Razor2010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M-Sport - M-LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6bullet View Post
Just saying, my 330 has the M sport pack and the track package.. Does that mean that 330 is now the new M-Lite? I have enough badges to prove it!!!!

I say it harkens back to those days of the E30 M3. A good 4 cyl engine at the front, and a wonderful chassis to complement its usable, but not extreme power. A sublime utilitarian machine that manages to enhance the daily grudge of a daily driver into something a bit more special.

Yup, not biased at all here, the 2020 G20 330i M-Sport with the LSD and no moonroof is the most perfect car BMW is currently producing. Relatively low weight for a modern car, good deal of power and perfect balance. THE best!

PS: My 2020 G20 330i M-Sport with LSD and no moonroof just went into production this week
Appreciate 1
A6bullet336.00
      01-17-2020, 08:14 PM   #501
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's dude is humble peoples; he was being facetious in pointing out that the news would cause M car owners to feel threatened and flock in droves, in a poor attempt to place their vehicle on a pedestal, now that BMW restructuring their model lineup..

C'mon man, be realistic about this. There's a whole bunch of MXXX/fake-M/real-new-M/I-dont-know-how-to-call-them-anymore owners that have been suffering an inferiority complex that are now all too happy to inflate their chest and brag that they own a REAL M car. There's also a whole bunch of MX/real-M/old-real-M/I-dont-know-how-call-those-either owners that are seeing their superiority complex shattered with this new marketing scheme from BMW. And then there's a whole bunch in between.

I personally could not care less about the marketing. I am in for the product. As long as BMW provides a product that best suits my needs, I'll be a buyer, regardless of how they call it and regardless of how they call the rest of the lineup.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-17-2020 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 3
bm4w144.50
M3GymNut907.50
      01-17-2020, 08:24 PM   #502
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Quote:
Yeah, just like the S55 which you claimed was open deck. So much for all that technical knowledge from tearing down engines.
Yeah I meant N55 which is in the M2 as I was talking about the 1M, but the /// guys consider those M vehicles because of the "essence" not the science, right? They also don't talk about the closed deck B58 motor being on par with the S55 and M worthy.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #503
SCMikeRedux
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF-S, Fiesta ST

Merciful heavens...more than 500 posts in two days. My first BMW many years ago was an E46 M3 Coupe. But for a true exotic, go find a Fiesta ST. So exotic that Ford won’t even sell you a new one in the US. Snicker, snicker.
      01-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #504
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

C'mon man, be realistic about this. There's a whole bunch of MXXX/fake-M/real-new-M/I-dont-know-how-to-call-them-anymore owners that have been suffering an inferiority complex that are now all too happy to inflate their chest and brag that they own a REAL M car. There's also a whole bunch of MX owners that are seeing their superiority complex shattered with this new marketing scheme from BMW.

I personally could not care less about the marketing. I am in for the product. As long as BMW provides a product that best suits my needs, I'll be a buyer, regardless how the call it and regardless how they call the rest of the lineup.
You do realize your previous posts totally contradicts every word just said.

If you wasn't from Canada, I would assume you was US president or something, incognito, behind the keyboard.

No standard BMW owners said one braggadocious thing about their vehicle. If they did, I'm sure you would be overpowered with joy to point them out and nail them to a cross.

Anyways, I'm going to let you guys get back to your passive-aggressive bashing.

I'm about to go hang out with a hot girl, who all she see is that blue BMW roundel and couldn't care less if there is A to Z emblem next to it, like most people outside of this forum.

It's been enlightening ✌🏻
Appreciate 2
premier3is1627.00
530iDriver1707.50
      01-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #505
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
C'mon man, be realistic about this. There's a whole bunch of MXXX/fake-M/real-new-M/I-dont-know-how-to-call-them-anymore owners that have been suffering an inferiority complex that are now all too happy to inflate their chest and brag that they own a REAL M car. There's also a whole bunch of MX/real-M/old-real-M/I-dont-know-how-call-those either owners that are seeing their superiority complex shattered with this new marketing scheme from BMW. And then there's a whole bunch in between.

I personally could not care less about the marketing. I am in for the product. As long as BMW provides a product that best suits my needs, I'll be a buyer, regardless of how the call it and regardless of how they call the rest of the lineup.
I actually would like less branding. It’s getting a bit ridiculous how many ///M’s they can slap on one car. Front, Back, side vents, instrument cluster, iDrive startup animation, door sills, light up seat emblems, each wheel, steering wheel and even storage covers now.

BMW should troll everyone next generation and make the highest performing trim with limited runs have absolutely no badges other than the roundel.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      01-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #506
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You do realize your previous posts totally contradicts every word just said.
How so ?

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread