GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-03-2024, 12:22 PM   #1
BimmerPostUser1
Registered
Rep
Drives: Previous - 2002, 528i

Need help deciding! Hard top or Soft top Cabriolet

Hi All,

I tried to provide a one size fits all solution for both my wife and me - late 2021 I bought a very nice 2015 911 (991.1) cab to replace her 2010 Saab convertible. The 911 was the right colors, right everything, but she just doesn't like it - she's afraid to bump something, park in normal parking lots, etc. In other words, she was looking for a replacement for the Saab (which she used for everything - daily driver, etc), not a really go fast sports car.

Given my mistake, I'll probably sell the 911 - too hard to keep too many cars. At the time we bought the Saab new (just prior to Saab going out of business - grrr), our next option was the Audi A4 cab - the Saab just had better seats, bigger back seat, and trunk.

Fast forward - she really likes the hard top for its functionality (we're in north Florida where the weather almost always sucks), but I've read so much about top issues. She doesn't need (may not even want) a go fast sports car ... but rather a somewhat spirited convertible. Aside - we had a "lake car" for awhile - 2006 Solara - great car, reliable, lots of space and a full size back seat - but, she thought it was boring.

So, given the above - if we go BMW, where's the "sweet spot" for her, ya think? And, if the roof issues with the 2020 and earlier are an issue, is the four cylinder a sweet spot, or should we try the 440iX (she does like AWD).

Audi A5 or S5, Anyone?

Appreciate your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 01:40 AM   #2
WhiteFox
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Go with the hardtop M4 she will love it and you also get the fun of spirited driving if you want that. Plus with the roof down you get to hear the sound of the exhaust.
Appreciate 0