Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

07-27-2021, 12:31 PM   #1189
Abdul
Captain
Rep
Drives: E39 M5/E92 M3/E60 M5/F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 M Perf. View Post
Yes...where is Abdul???

.... and how might the backline look in direct sunlight. I have to admit that the video (perhaps not to the eye) looks scary based on how dim it looks on the red VLAND.

I've ordered through Abdul the red (possibly VLAND) on June, 30 and he's yet to respond when he's shipping them to me. But now, I'm getting cold feet!!
What? Are you not following this thread?

F82 OLED Lights Update https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1836479

Please PM me your order number. You should've received a tracking number by now.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #1190
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Yes...where is Abdul???

.... and how might the backline look in direct sunlight. I have to admit that the video (perhaps not to the eye) looks scary based on how dim it looks on the red VLAND.

I've ordered through Abdul the red (possibly VLAND) on June, 30 and he's yet to respond when he's shipping them to me. But now, I'm getting cold feet!!
Honestly, I think everyone needs to calm down. The video does not represent reality.

I will admit, they are not as bright as an incandescent signal. However, you can see them just fine in the daylight.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 01:58 PM   #1191
kenf80
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Honestly, I think everyone needs to calm down. The video does not represent reality.

I will admit, they are not as bright as an incandescent signal. However, you can see them just fine in the daylight.
What do you mean doesn’t represent reality lmao? The video is exactly how it is seen by if you were looking at it in person…?

In the shade or at nighttime there is no issue with these lights.

But during the day it is super hard to see the blinker. I’ll try get a comparison of my friends OEM lci tails which are also LED and you can see them bright and clear no issue in direct sunlight.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 02:28 PM   #1192
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenf80 View Post
What do you mean doesn’t represent reality lmao? The video is exactly how it is seen by if you were looking at it in person…?

In the shade or at nighttime there is no issue with these lights.

But during the day it is super hard to see the blinker. I’ll try get a comparison of my friends OEM lci tails which are also LED and you can see them bright and clear no issue in direct sunlight.
Because I can compare what the video is showing to what I was seeing with my eyes. Not a difficult concept to grasp.

In the video it is difficult to discern the orange flash, with my naked eye it's easily visible.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 06:43 PM   #1193
From5toM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafrosty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillsetmaximum View Post
Here one I saw, and yes he's in a parking structure, but it's in the day time. Look how bright the blinkers are.
He's still inside... The dim turn signal issue on the red housing occurs when in direct sunlight as displayed by the videos previously posted

https://youtube.com/shorts/McESQU8ppmg

https://youtube.com/shorts/i_f1AOdjlas

https://youtube.com/shorts/-KxX2YBAX9k
Thanks for the vids. This is quite obvious that the turn signals are not visible in direct sunlight. That's a no for me.

Abdul - what is your input to this specific situation? Are the dim turn signals inherent in the design or is this a flaw?

I also asked you specifically in an earlier post - but didn't get a response - if we buy from you and there is an issue with the product, do we work with you for any warranty issues? What's your policy? How long is the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #1194
Hokayy
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by From5toM View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Here one I saw, and yes he's in a parking structure, but it's in the day time. Look how bright the blinkers are.
He's still inside... The dim turn signal issue on the red housing occurs when in direct sunlight as displayed by the videos previously posted

Thanks for the vids. This is quite obvious that the turn signals are not visible in direct sunlight. That's a no for me.

Abdul - what is your input to this specific situation? Are the dim turn signals inherent in the design or is this a flaw?

I also asked you specifically in an earlier post - but didn't get a response - if we buy from you and there is an issue with the product, do we work with you for any warranty issues? What's your policy? How long is the warranty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by From5toM View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I had fitment issues and also the bolt was stripped from the housing and both Abdul/Mark helped me out to get a replacement.

Is the dimly lit turn signals also an issue in the actual GTS Ms? I don't think I've seen one in person so hard for me to directly compare. That said, I'll have someone drive my M3 at high noon and I'll drive their car behind them to see for myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 09:06 PM   #1195
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

delete

Last edited by matty088; 07-30-2021 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 10:08 PM   #1196
Hokayy
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

A few shorts from exiting my garage to the street before sundown.

At certain angles when the sun hits the lights, the video doesn't pick it up so I would assume it is a bit lighter for the turn signals.

https://youtube.com/shorts/DTQhZ0uk788?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/LQmjAuyR2mw?feature=share
Appreciate 1
Jim45678165.00
      07-28-2021, 04:15 AM   #1197
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokayy View Post

At certain angles when the sun hits the lights, the video doesn't pick it up so I would assume it is a bit lighter for the turn signals.

looking at your videos its not so bad but the ones posted before look scary to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 07:26 AM   #1198
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim45678 View Post
looking at your videos its not so bad but the ones posted before look scary to me.
hes in the shade
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #1199
From5toM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim45678 View Post
hes in the shade
Agree. Even in the shade, they're not bright… it's significantly less bright than OEM.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 08:17 AM   #1200
F32 M Perf.
CoolWhip_
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F32 FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokayy View Post

Thanks for the vids, however as others have commented, you're still in the shade and when you drive away you're too far to determine how bright they might be.

Which was the manufacturer of the lights you bought? Vland or another?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 09:16 AM   #1201
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the vids, however as others have commented, you're still in the shade and when you drive away you're too far to determine how bright they might be.

Which was the manufacturer of the lights you bought? Vland or another?
i have the vland from abdul. The chatter is that they are all the same, ie VLAND.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 10:23 AM   #1202
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

IMO, it's less the brightness of the LED that is causing the issue, it's the tinting of the outer red housing.

I'd be curious to see what the smoked ones look like. I'd be willing to bet they're less washed out in the sun.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #1203
F32 M Perf.
CoolWhip_
Canada
Rep

Quote:
IMO, it's less the brightness of the LED that is causing the issue, it's the tinting of the outer red housing.

I'd be curious to see what the smoked ones look like. I'd be willing to bet they're less washed out in the sun.
It's a good question, although when you see them unpacked they look black rather than clear/smoked. I thought the red/oem-style might look more bright LOL.

There is vid a couple of pages back on here of a black/smoked set a dude installed on his white pearl M3 (VLAND with Abdul's packing tape on the box), for which he shot how they looked while driving it. The camera was at the low bumper level so it wasn't that visible despite he showed a comparison with the LCI he had before (see here and frwd to 16:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=069TUIuZ4_o).

Not sure what you guys think.....

Last edited by F32 M Perf.; 07-28-2021 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 10:58 AM   #1204
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Here's my 2 cents after seeing them with my own eyes in the sunlight.

First off, it'll be up to you personally whether it's bright enough. I had no problem seeing the orange blinker standing 20-30 feet away in the sun (which at that distance you can also see the signal on the side mirrors).

But, they are definitely NOT AS BRIGHT AS OEM but that doesn't mean they're invisible. The videos make them look worse than they actually are.

If someone rear ends you, it won't be because of they didn't see your blinker.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 11:23 AM   #1205
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your 0.2. It goes back to quality, as I would have expected that the manufacturer would have measured luminosity and make them equal to oem to ensure local laws re brightness are respected by being oem equivalent.

More so, in the 4 series (oem and VLAND) there is no brake light on the smaller/inner tail light, which automatically renders luminosity as a safety critical requirement. Especially for the 4 series lights!!

Therefore, we need some answers from Adbul re quality standards and what happens if we're not satisfied with the product on these grounds. Also, whether the backline might be more bright...blinker AND brake signals.
You actually think the manufacturer got these DOT approved? Come on. No offense to VLAND or Abdul, but these are knock off lights.

There's a reason OEM costs more. They have to be certified. These are not. While the build quality is excellent, there's a reason why they are much cheaper than OEM. Nowhere did I see VLAND or any distributor (Abdul is not the only one selling these lights) claim they are DOT approved.

This is the risk you run when buying non-OEM parts for you vehicle.

As for the inner brake light, it's minuscule on the F80. But the 4 series has a third brake light as well.
Appreciate 1
Hokayy57.00
      07-28-2021, 11:29 AM   #1206
F32 M Perf.
CoolWhip_
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You actually think the manufacturer got these DOT approved? Come on. No offense to VLAND or Abdul, but these are knock off lights.

There's a reason OEM costs more. They have to be certified. These are not. While the build quality is excellent, there's a reason why they are much cheaper than OEM. Nowhere did I see VLAND or any distributor (Abdul is not the only one selling these lights) claim they are DOT approved.

This is the risk you run when buying non-OEM parts for you vehicle.

As for the inner brake light, it's minuscule on the F80. But the 4 series has a third brake light as well.
I didn't say DOT-approved, nor did I say Transport Canada-approved. I said "oem-equivalent" because that would take care of any local laws. It's as simple as measuring lumens strength.

Because of the criticality of this with regards to safety, YES I would expect this. You're buying lights not just a spoiler or mirror cap.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 11:34 AM   #1207
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

If you're worried about local laws, don't buy something that's not OEM.

It's as simple as that.

You knew buying these that there is less lighting area than OEM.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 11:45 AM   #1208
F32 M Perf.
CoolWhip_
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If you're worried about local laws, don't buy something that's not OEM.

It's as simple as that.

You knew buying these that there is less lighting area than OEM.
No, I didn't and I'm sure others didn't know either. Otherwise, we wouldn't be having this convo. But I did know as much not to buy direct from Ali or another Chinese vendor. Hence both I and others are looking for answers re warranty and quality. So, sit tight and wait. Maybe you're willing to accept low quality but that's not the case for others.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 11:52 AM   #1209
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No, I didn't and I'm sure others didn't know either. Otherwise, we wouldn't be having this convo. But I did know as much not to buy direct from Ali or another Chinese vendor. Hence both I and others are looking for answers re warranty and quality. So, sit tight and wait. Maybe you're willing to accept low quality but that's not the case for others.
Then no offense, you didn't do your proper research before your purchase.

OEM lights are over twice the price of these lights (real OLED much, much more). If you think they would be the same quality, that's a super poor assumption.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 12:10 PM   #1210
F32 M Perf.
CoolWhip_
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Then no offense, you didn't do your proper research before your purchase.

OEM lights are over twice the price of these lights (real OLED much, much more). If you think they would be the same quality, that's a super poor assumption.
Respectfully, I don't think you know the aftermarket business to appreciate what might be a knockoff and what is good quality but non oem-branded product. But I think Abdul can validate and prove your point by his actions since he did say doing QA and selecting suppliers before buying from them.

Yes, I knew from my research that fitment would be 90-95% and that oem cost $7K but that sort of quality we're talking about here related to safety is a different story.

Last edited by F32 M Perf.; 07-28-2021 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0