European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
ChiefTingle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 MW, DCT

M3 Service at BMW of the Mainline

100% certain I will never go there again. Had a check engine light come on and called another dealer about service and they said spark plugs were iffy on the S55 engine and needed to be changed every 3rd oil change. I thought that was a lot of spark plug changing. So I ordered some with some fresh coilpacks from FCP Euro. Why not? Car did scan a misfire in cylinder 1. Swapped plugs and had still had a misfire. Generic scanner said Heat sensor Bank 1. Misfire cylinder 3. Took the car in for service at Mainline. I asked for the sensor to be replaced. They told me the misfire needed to be addressed before the sensor could be done. I said ok go ahead $1700 later one spark plug and an O2 sensor are replaced on the car. I'm ready to go.

Headed to Myrtle Beach for vacation about 200 miles out after getting fuel, looking at a clean shot on the on ramp to I95 step on it a little and pop from under the hood. Service drivetrain warning. Sounded like a charge pipe let loose. Easy does it down to Myrtle. Check at BMW of Myrtle Beach front charge pipe busted loose at the bolt to the turbo. They quote $1200 to install oem plastic pipes. I can't pay that, nothing in me will let me do that. I would rather go buy some tools and do it myself.

I perform a temporary repair as charge pipes need to be ordered. Vendors won't ship to address other the home due to fraud. I could understand that. Get new pipes when I get home. Installed them no problem. easy job. Clear all codes due to busted pipe. Go for a ride check engine light comes back on, reads Heat sensor bank 1 (O2). Take car back to Mainline, they say I disconnected the O2 sensor while the car was awake while installing the charge pipes. Did not happen. Now the want $2600 for engine harness installed. The O2 sensor is supposed to be warrantied for 2 years. I think the one that is in there is defective and needs to be changed on them. I'm going to another dealer to get a second opinion. Called customer service and they said they stand behind the dealers diagnosis. I'm pissed to say the least. Need to vent.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Jesus. I would have been pissed about 1/3 of the way into your story.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 10:54 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefTingle View Post
100% certain I will never go there again. Had a check engine light come on and called another dealer about service and they said spark plugs were iffy on the S55 engine and needed to be changed every 3rd oil change. I thought that was a lot of spark plug changing. So I ordered some with some fresh coilpacks from FCP Euro. Why not? Car did scan a misfire in cylinder 1. Swapped plugs and had still had a misfire. Generic scanner said Heat sensor Bank 1. Misfire cylinder 3. Took the car in for service at Mainline. I asked for the sensor to be replaced. They told me the misfire needed to be addressed before the sensor could be done. I said ok go ahead $1700 later one spark plug and an O2 sensor are replaced on the car. I'm ready to go.

Headed to Myrtle Beach for vacation about 200 miles out after getting fuel, looking at a clean shot on the on ramp to I95 step on it a little and pop from under the hood. Service drivetrain warning. Sounded like a charge pipe let loose. Easy does it down to Myrtle. Check at BMW of Myrtle Beach front charge pipe busted loose at the bolt to the turbo. They quote $1200 to install oem plastic pipes. I can't pay that, nothing in me will let me do that. I would rather go buy some tools and do it myself.

I perform a temporary repair as charge pipes need to be ordered. Vendors won't ship to address other the home due to fraud. I could understand that. Get new pipes when I get home. Installed them no problem. easy job. Clear all codes due to busted pipe. Go for a ride check engine light comes back on, reads Heat sensor bank 1 (O2). Take car back to Mainline, they say I disconnected the O2 sensor while the car was awake while installing the charge pipes. Did not happen. Now the want $2600 for engine harness installed. The O2 sensor is supposed to be warrantied for 2 years. I think the one that is in there is defective and needs to be changed on them. I'm going to another dealer to get a second opinion. Called customer service and they said they stand behind the dealers diagnosis. I'm pissed to say the least. Need to vent.
Why was it not covered under 4 year warranty?
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2018, 04:44 AM   #4
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:

That was gonna be my question
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 06:14 AM   #5
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:

I'm assuming he is out of warranty on time or mileage. Early build M4's came out as early as May 2014.....
      12-06-2018, 07:04 AM   #6
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
if I may suggest: Matt Bean at Thompson BMW in Doylestown. we've heard this story about Mainline before. sorry you had to endure all that.

Edit: I have no affiliation with Thompson, in fact I live in NJ and take my car there.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
jd__m4
Captain
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
if I may suggest: Matt Bean at Thompson BMW in Doylestown. we've heard this story about Mainline before. sorry you had to endure all that.

Edit: I have no affiliation with Thompson, in fact I live in NJ and take my car there.
^This. I've used Mainline before and had no real issues, but just getting there and back was a headache so I've used Thompson. Matt and Laura are great.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
ChiefTingle
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update!!!
Took the car to Thompson BMW, told them check engine light was on and let them have at it. About 1/2 hour into my wait I spoke with Laura at the performance desk and told her why I was at Thompson and what had happened at Mainline BMW. Informed her that the original sensor was in the car and she told the tech. It was checked and found to be bad. Was informed that they could go on to check the replacement sensor that was installed by Mainline and if found to be good I would be on the hook for the labor. I want the light out so go ahead and check it. She comes back, good news the sensor is bad and will be replaced under warranty. Here's a loaner car see you tomorrow. Picked up car no charge no light. Still I am a little concerned as to why the sensor went bad in the first place and to have a replacement go bad as well. Anyway I take it easy for a couple of days and see what happens. If something does come up Thompson will get the job without a doubt.

I think I will write to BMW NA and tell them about my experience of how Mainline wanted $2653.90 to put in a engine harness. They might be right, but not right now!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 06:39 PM   #9
ChiefTingle
Enlisted Member
Rep

After a long email to the service director explaining my dissatisfaction with the service I received, he asked what could be done to make things better. I said a refund of four hours of labor. He said no to the refund as I had told him I most likely would not bring my car there for service again. He offered the refund in the form of credit for goods or service. I took that because it was better than nothing. So the special on oil change for 89.95 is up next. That should be easy for any tech working there. Maybe brake fluid flush on the CCB's but maybe not.
Appreciate 0