European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #133
M4de_4This
Registered
Rep
Drives: 16’ M4 , E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
I have been running the BM3 GTS dct flash for a while, and notice a lot of times when downshifting it is very laggy and will have a delay before it downshifts and rev matches, and inconsistent overall. In manual mode I always use mode S2. Going to try the CS DCT map and see how that is.... anyone else? Will BM3 be updating the GTS map to the latest version.
Experiencing very similar behavior as I flashed stage 2 last week and Re flashed the GTS Dct. I originally flashed with the OTS Cs and GTS Dct and it felt amazing as this was my set up for 4 Months. Then the bug hit went with Vrsf Catless , ngk 97506 gapped at .20 and stage 1 as SCH Ptsd is real. Ran a 7.82 and 8.21 60-130 on Dragy now I’m hooked and flashed staged 2 and RE flashed the GTS Dct as I wish it showed you which TCU was flashed last. 7 hits 60-130 on the same road same slope and temperatures and i hit 9.0 and 9.2. For the last week I’ve noticed the downshift in manual had some serious lag and my car is now noticeably slower. Car is used for spirited driving only so it’s frustrating.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 10:34 PM   #134
CoolLiving
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

The flash on the bootmod3 GTS is outdated I ordered the Thor flash waiting for it to install. My friend said his car shifts so smooth with Thor.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 11:33 AM   #135
FastM3CT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Also waiting for a current release with Bootmod3

Hoping to see something soon as it address some of the known issues
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 01:34 PM   #136
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4de_4This View Post
Experiencing very similar behavior as I flashed stage 2 last week and Re flashed the GTS Dct. I originally flashed with the OTS Cs and GTS Dct and it felt amazing as this was my set up for 4 Months. Then the bug hit went with Vrsf Catless , ngk 97506 gapped at .20 and stage 1 as SCH Ptsd is real. Ran a 7.82 and 8.21 60-130 on Dragy now I’m hooked and flashed staged 2 and RE flashed the GTS Dct as I wish it showed you which TCU was flashed last. 7 hits 60-130 on the same road same slope and temperatures and i hit 9.0 and 9.2. For the last week I’ve noticed the downshift in manual had some serious lag and my car is now noticeably slower. Car is used for spirited driving only so it’s frustrating.
Go with THOR DCT. It is the latest EU version and is night and day compared to Bootmod3 DCT.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 03:29 AM   #137
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

i spoke to PTF yesterday they are planning on using the latest version but no ETA yet.

my issue is why spend £300 on licence and then £70 on OBD device. when Zed Coding is doing it for £120 to £150 all in with EDC

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #138
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Quote:
Go with THOR DCT. It is the latest EU version and is night and day compared to Bootmod3 DCT.
Interesting... Can you elaborate? I'm assuming you had both..
      08-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #139
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
i spoke to PTF yesterday they are planning on using the latest version but no ETA yet.

my issue is why spend £300 on licence and then £70 on OBD device. when Zed Coding is doing it for £120 to £150 all in with EDC
Do you mean PTF will update their GTS transmission flash to be the latest version like what Thor has?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #140
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

thats what they said to me but no ETA so dont expect a quick turn around

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 02:57 PM   #141
Atrix
M3///
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Has anyone logged their Trans. Temps when running the GTS DCT tune. Although the clutches may be better of with the higher pressures preventing slip, the oil pump will have an additional load and so will the oil. I ve noted 90 deg Celsius (195 F) normal driving Transmission Temps. Seems a bit high. 135 deg is supposedly the top end and I heard 160 will put the car into limp mode.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 06:36 PM   #142
Twistm4
I Drag Race My Track Car
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrix View Post
Has anyone logged their Trans. Temps when running the GTS DCT tune. Although the clutches may be better of with the higher pressures preventing slip, the oil pump will have an additional load and so will the oil. I ve noted 90 deg Celsius (195 F) normal driving Transmission Temps. Seems a bit high. 135 deg is supposedly the top end and I heard 160 will put the car into limp mode.
200 is normal. However, I have had 2 trans temps too hot codes while doing drag racing. usually prep burnouts, staging etc. Switched to CS trans tune to see if it helped and so far so good.

People say the hardwares are the same but I thought I was pretty sure GTS has thicker clutches and an external OIL cooler for the clutches.
      08-14-2020, 06:43 PM   #143
blkcow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC LCI

Garage List
Quote:
How does the MHD compare to Thor and the BM3?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #144
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistm4 View Post
200 is normal. However, I have had 2 trans temps too hot codes while doing drag racing. usually prep burnouts, staging etc. Switched to CS trans tune to see if it helped and so far so good.

People say the hardwares are the same but I thought I was pretty sure GTS has thicker clutches and an external OIL cooler for the clutches.
Are you the same guy in the F80 facebook group that had issues with GTS trans flash because you drive the car harder then 99% of the F8X owners.

I'm asking because, he mentioned the DCT clutches thicker and has extra cooler to deal with the heat.

I think CS is better because, it's closer to our cars. I don't think it has the thicker clutches or the extra dct cooler.

Also, your car is still slower? Even after the CS flash and more power? Sounds like so many variables. Are you making more power? Does it feel faster?

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 07:27 PM   #145
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Trans temps getting too hot? Or maybe could you have glazed the DCT clutches from too many burnouts or high speed runs in higher gears. This is puzzling indeed!

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 09:18 PM   #146
Twistm4
I Drag Race My Track Car
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
Are you the same guy in the F80 facebook group that had issues with GTS trans flash because you drive the car harder then 99% of the F8X owners.

I'm asking because, he mentioned the DCT clutches thicker and has extra cooler to deal with the heat.

I think CS is better because, it's closer to our cars. I don't think it has the thicker clutches or the extra dct cooler.

Also, your car is still slower? Even after the CS flash and more power? Sounds like so many variables. Are you making more power? Does it feel faster?
Probably. Who knows. But everything was fine for me on the CS tune until... had first dig race and OH MY LORD the CS LC is TERRIBLE. It cuts power out during 1st and second gear to control wheel spin and is super slow off the line. So I had to swap back to GTS and deal with the high temps. Idk what to do moving forward. Probably should do a service and contact Alex for a custom variant of it. Would be just OH SO GREAT if companies could crack the TCU and offer custom trans tunes to fix all this. The s55 trans tuning is light years behind what, for example, the RS cars are able to do (mqbs).

Also I think I agree with you that the CS trans tune is better for most owners. Unless you dig race hardcore like I do stick with the CS for sure. It is much easier on the car. And seems to shift Faster but Softer. GTS feels like youre getting donkey punched in the rear end everytime you come on and off the throttle or shift. CS is smooth and quick like the DSGs.
      08-16-2020, 10:00 PM   #147
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post

Probably. Who knows. But everything was fine for me on the CS tune until... had first dig race and OH MY LORD the CS LC is TERRIBLE. It cuts power out during 1st and second gear to control wheel spin and is super slow off the line. So I had to swap back to GTS and deal with the high temps. Idk what to do moving forward. Probably should do a service and contact Alex for a custom variant of it. Would be just OH SO GREAT if companies could crack the TCU and offer custom trans tunes to fix all this. The s55 trans tuning is light years behind what, for example, the RS cars are able to do (mqbs).

Also I think I agree with you that the CS trans tune is better for most owners. Unless you dig race hardcore like I do stick with the CS for sure. It is much easier on the car. And seems to shift Faster but Softer. GTS feels like youre getting donkey punched in the rear end everytime you come on and off the throttle or shift. CS is smooth and quick like the DSGs.
Are you using the CS trans tune on MHD?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #148
Atrix
M3///
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

DCT Temps

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. I am planning on changing the Oil and Filters which requires a top up fill while the car is running but temps need to be under 40 deg Celsius. My Trans. seems to heat up quickly, but thats under load. Maybe it wont be that bad with no load.

I am running the MHD GTS DCT tune and its definitely nice. Smooth shifts at low speeds and no jerky engagement between R and D.

My only issue is that when I tried the CS DCT tune, MHD gave me a fault code saying DCT not found. Need to email MHD and find out why.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #149
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Alex flashed the GTS Software last night. Shifts are crisp and the car doesn't get confused.

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #150
dcpatters
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
Alex flashed the GTS Software last night. Shifts are crisp and the car doesn't get confused.
Is his tune unique or same of the others discussed in this thread?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #151
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpatters View Post
Is his tune unique or same of the others discussed in this thread?
I believe it is the most up to date version of the GTS flash.

He could answer better than I can on this, though.

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 1
dcpatters250.00
      08-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #152
Twistm4
I Drag Race My Track Car
Rep

Quote:
Are you using the CS trans tune on MHD?
I was yes
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #153
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

That’s why I firmly believe you must do a DCT fluid service every 50-60k miles if you are running the GTS transmission flash. The GTS flash puts a lot more pressure on the clutches so the oil is broken down faster. When on stock dct tune, trans temps are around 83-85 Celsius. When on Thor GTS dct tune, its around 88-91Celsius.

Last edited by SE7EN335; 08-20-2020 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:02 PM   #154
Twistm4
I Drag Race My Track Car
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
That’s why I firmly believe you must do a DCT fluid service every 50-60k miles if you are running the GTS transmission flash. The GTS flash puts a lot more pressure on the clutches so the oil is broken down faster. When on stock dct tune, trans temps are around 83-85 Celsius. When on Thor GTS dct tune, its around 88-91Celsius.
I want to but bmw is trying to charge me 2600$ for a service. F THAT. I bought 6 liters Im just gonna swap the fluid myself. Not even gonna change the filters.

TBH it's cheaper to just run a DCT into the ground and buy a new USED one and swap yourself than to have BMW service one. That is utterly ridiculious. I find them all the time on FB with low miles for 900-1500$. A guy just posted one without a mechatronic unit for 500$... Like that's not bad at all. I may just buy one to keep on hand for when this one breaks.