GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
Blessm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Dealership service "test drive"

I want to share a story and ask others' opinions on the matter, and if I'm overreacting.

I dropped my M3 off at the dealer for an exhaust flap rattle and TPMS error at 730am earlier this week. The shop foreman came with me as I drove around the block to show him the exhaust rattle. He agreed it was an abnormal rattle and that it needed to be looked at. I was told later that day that the shop was backed up and wouldn't even get a diagnostic work up until the next day. I was told the next day that the muffler was defective and they would need to order a new one. I was then told on day 3 that it arrived too late and it wouldn't be done until the next day. I finally pick the car up and all is great with the exhaust.

I have a dash cam and out of curiosity looked at the "events", which my cam auto-records when there is hard acceleration or braking. The event was triggered by aggressive acceleration onto a highway, enough that the tires broke loose in 2nd gear. He continued to pick up speed until he reached 95mph, slowed down a bit then back up to 90s. Of course this makes me wonder what else was done. I haven't watched all of the footage but another clip picked up two techs in the car talking, and the driver is telling his friend that he's been drifting in this car. The passenger even clarifies "THIS car?". And driver confirms.

Am I over-reacting or is this really messed up? I called the service manager and she first gave me attitude about whether this test drive was warranted, depending on what my car was brought in for. What problem could I have had that warranted a test drive with the car being floored and drifted?? She then said she'd talk with the shop foreman and give me a call on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 05:54 PM   #2
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

The test drive is warranted, in my opinion, to confirm the exhaust rattle was fixed.

However the conversation about drifting your car is upsetting to say the least. Not much that can be done about it though. Best decision is probably to report the incident and try to get your work done elsewhere in the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Shopping Cart Comp

They shouldn't be drifting the car, even to test anything. Hopefully you have footage of them doing it. You're not overreacting and I would tell them everything. Lawyer up if you have to.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #4
gprzybylski
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I would download that video walk into the service managers office and and say 4 new tires a full tank of gas new pads and rotors or....... I go to BMW Corporate office and let them know what your techs are doing with Customers cars.
Appreciate 2
      08-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #5
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I would say they were warranted in taking the car out on a test drive, but abusing the car as they did is completely unwarranted and you have every right to be pissed. If they're drifting, breaking loose in 2nd gear, and going nearly 100 mph they could've easily wrecked the car. And if they have to take customer cars out on joyrides that should tell you they probably don't drive anything exciting themselves and are likely not very skilled drivers. You should try to make a big deal about them admitting they drifted the car and try to get the dealership to at least give you a new set of rear tires
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

WTF!?? I'd be livid.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 09:29 PM   #7
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

STRAP EM TO A CHAIR! PUT A SPONGE ON THEIR HEAD! THEYRE GETTIN ELECTROCUTED!

But in all seriousness, agree with everyone else. Absolutely not over reacting. I’d lose my mind. Demand at the very least new tires and a full tank of gas. Maybe a free oil change too. Don’t just let it slide.
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3948.00
      08-07-2020, 09:39 PM   #8
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Relax man, I'm sure they were "professionals"

J/k F that, give them hell..
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
9M711233.50
      08-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #9
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Drifting the car??? don't they mark tire wear on the service papers / or any additional noticeable wear on yours? I would definitely not be happy and ask for a new set of tires
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 01:20 AM   #10
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

Watch out, notice every time you call a business before talking to an operator they state “this call may be recorded for customer and quality assurance.” Thats to cover their butts, you can’t record someone without their knowledge unless you have a warrant or hit “I agree” on the Alexa app.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #11
Blessm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmnelson12 View Post
Watch out, notice every time you call a business before talking to an operator they state “this call may be recorded for customer and quality assurance.” Thats to cover their butts, you can’t record someone without their knowledge unless you have a warrant or hit “I agree” on the Alexa app.
I don't know all of the laws surrounding dash cams, but I would imagine it's different if they step into my car, which in Texas is an extension of my property. I can have cameras in my home and have no obligation to disclose this to those who commit crimes on my property.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #12
Blessm
Private First Class
Rep

I think a test drive is definitely warranted to ensure the rattle is no longer present with the new muffler, however taking the car up to 6k+ RPM and 95+ mph doesn't seem appropriate. The car was confirmed to have the rattle between 2-3k RPM, which I showed the shop foreman on the test drive around the block where I did not exceed 35mph for him to hear the noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #13
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

My position is clear, but a bit more nuanced than go/no go.

As a company representative, I have to understand how people would want their car treated, and err on the respectful side. Liability completely aside for the moment, my many interactions with people have taught me that a particular car capability, mods, or purpose (track/strip/etc) has absolutely nothing to do with how the owner uses the car, and/or how the owner would expect the car to be driven when being serviced. In a smaller company, this is pretty easy to pick up on through a conversation that you typically wouldn't have with a SA... that convo would go something like this: "we'll take it out and do a test drive -anything we need to know before we do that? Want us to get on it a bit, or more importantly, should we avoid that?" People will let you know.

Now, on a personal level since I'm remote I don't always have the luxury of using the VTT shop. I have a local place I prefer. I've established a relationship with a particular head mechanic and I've flat out told him -feel free to drive the car. If you get in an accident, that's on you (but that's what they have insurance for). I expect the car to be warmed up and allowed to cool down properly. Drive it hard, but do no abuse it and have fun! That's what it's for. I've heard him test driving it when I showed up early to pick up the car... and he's told me stories about things getting a bit sideways -but this is an established relationship; guy is a fantastic driver and I trust him. I've also told him when the tune was an untested basemap and NOT to get on it. Clear communication is key.

Incorporating all/some the above in some form or another may help in reducing undesirable situations where someone feels their property isn't being respected or valued. Ultimately someone providing service has to be able to troubleshoot things appropriately, but outside of that must err on the conservative side unless given clear communication that the leash is a bit longer.

Chris
Appreciate 1
Blessm68.00
      08-08-2020, 08:42 PM   #14
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Lol I don't think anyone in good conscience would tell you that 'drifting' your car is acceptable in any circumstance
Appreciate 3
      08-09-2020, 02:12 AM   #15
climax_e92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

I would bring it up to the service manager. I work for Porsche, and we absolutely do not abuse customers cars like that. We do occasionally have to drive it hard when diagnosing or testing, such as brake replacements and complaints. But we still take care of the cars as if it's our own. If we were to do what happened with yours, our service director would definitely talk to us about it and rectify your concern.
16 F82 M4 Frequency Intelligent F1 Exhaust - VRSF downpipes - BBS CI-R custom finish - H&R Springs - Injen DCI intake - CG Precision Valve Controller - BootMod3 full E85 - Custom Roll Cage - Varis Diffuser - PSM GT Wing - V style Lip
https://www.instagram.com/m4_teh/
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 10:01 PM   #16
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Today is Monday. Any updates?
Did the guy really drift your car or was he just lying to his friend? Asking because you never said you saw any clips of drifting but you did say you haven’t checked all the vids.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 10:21 PM   #17
GordoNx3o9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F83

My M was in service for 9 days. After the 3rd day my dash cam was unplugged by the tech. He plugged it back in on the final day.

When I brought up this matter to my advisor he insisted that most dealerships including this one do not allow dash cams recording inside the shop, and that the tech was probably too lazy to plug it back in during test drives. :
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 11:14 PM   #18
Blessm
Private First Class
Rep

No call back from the service manager.

I am an idiot and left my micro SD card in the dash cam the last few days so it's been recording over the oldest data, which includes the first 2 days the car was in service. Luckily I still have the clip of the car breaking loose in 2nd and being taken up to 97mph, then slowing down to 80 then taking it quickly back up to 97. Also a convo of a tech calling his wife/gf a "f***ing b***h" before he answers her phone call

No drifting footage. It either got written over or the guy was just trying to sound cool
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 08:08 AM   #19
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessm View Post

I am an idiot and left my micro SD card in the dash cam the last few days so it's been recording over the oldest data, which includes the first 2 days the car was in service. Luckily I still have the clip of the car breaking loose in 2nd and being taken up to 97mph, then slowing down to 80 then taking it quickly back up to 97. Also a convo of a tech calling his wife/gf a "f***ing b***h" before he answers her phone call

No drifting footage. It either got written over or the guy was just trying to sound cool
The "test drive" should have mirrored the same style of driving from when you took out the car with the service technician, since that was the benchmark which was used to establish there was a problem. You have 100% cause to take action against the service center - and I would go as hard as you can against them. As others mentioned, new tires, and breaks.... if it were me, I'd ask for an extended warranty plan to be added to your vehicle as well. Lastly, go straight to the top with this issue, and bypass all lower level employees - I'd copy BMW NA as well, as there is literally no reason why you should have to hound these ppl for a reply - when they should be treating this as a fire they need to put out ASAP!

Can't believe you let the footage overwrite... I would have viewed every second of the footage as soon as I saw/heard what was going on in my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #20
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Shopping Cart Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessm View Post

I would love to know what dealership you went to
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 10:45 AM   #21
Rokoz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 M3

I’d demand a new set of Michelin PS4s for your trouble and potential added wear if they were really drifting it. I’d also ask they waive any costs of the visit
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 11:00 AM   #22
Blessm
Private First Class
Rep

I just got off the phone with the service manager (who only called because I asked my service advisor for the email of the general manager of the dealership).

She wanted the situation to be considered 'handled' because she 'wrote that technician up'. I told her that does nothing for me and the fact that my car was abused. Long story short, she said for me to get my rear tires replaced I'd have to bring my car back in for them to check the tread of my tires to see if new tires were needed. I told her my tires had over 7/32" of tread currently so that wasn't the point. It's not that I need new tires right this moment.

Nothing came of it so I'm emailing the general manager.

This was at BMW Advantage in Houston. Asshats
Appreciate 3