proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-16-2022, 06:39 PM   #45
ElectroThermal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Do you guys have to smog your car every year in MA? CA doesn't reqiure a smog check unless your car is 8 yrs old. Then only once every 2 yrs.
Yeah, we're annual on emissions for all cars less than 15 years old.

Had the same question as others - wonder what all can be done without tripping the CalID/CVN on our DME. Is FDL coding alright? VO coding?
      07-17-2022, 02:57 PM   #46
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Mhd makes a full copy of your stock tune. Bm3 has their own stock map tables. Both valid solutions to getting the car specific Stage 0.
Only one retains the hashes that make up the CalID and CVN because it's indeed the same code.

This is the reason why the first flash using MHD on a stock car takes so much longer than BM3.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2022, 09:36 AM   #47
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Mhd makes a full copy of your stock tune. Bm3 has their own stock map tables. Both valid solutions to getting the car specific Stage 0.
Only one retains the hashes that make up the CalID and CVN because it's indeed the same code.

This is the reason why the first flash using MHD on a stock car takes so much longer than BM3.
Cheers mate…I haven't heard of MHD till I read your post. Rudimentary research shows that they're a solid tuner w/ great reputation.

So, this possibly opens up a different door: since BM3 does not make a direct copy of your DME…are we now saying that MHD is a viable option if one is concerned about smog/emission tests? Is this 100% confirmed that MHD puts all parameters back to OEM (albeit there would still be a trace that the car was previously tuned)? If so, there wouldn't be a need to have the dealer Re-flash the DME back to stock prior to smog tests then…did I get that right?

TBH, I kind of like the MHD option if the above is correct- I am not interested in massive power gains, a modest CS or GTS boost will do it for my M2C. My primary focus is to tame the now annoying burbles (my AA EL + Dinan axleback setup have increased the burbles by ~ 50% in S+).
      07-19-2022, 09:39 AM   #48
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Quote:

Cheers mate…I haven't heard of MHD till I read your post. Rudimentary research shows that they're a solid tuner w/ great reputation.

So, this possibly opens up a different door: since BM3 does not make a direct copy of your DME…are we now saying that MHD is a viable option if one is concerned about smog/emission tests? Is this 100% confirmed that MHD puts all parameters back to OEM (albeit there would still be a trace that the car was previously tuned)? If so, there wouldn't be a need to have the dealer Re-flash the DME back to stock prior to smog tests then…did I get that right?

TBH, I kind of like the MHD option if the above is correct- I am not interested in massive power gains, a modest CS or GTS boost will do it for my M2C. My primary focus is to tame the now annoying burbles (my AA EL + Dinan axleback setup have increased the burbles by ~ 50% in S+).
It's viable if it's the first tune you use after a stock flash. To flash bm3 to MHD wouldn't work in theory because the tune you would be copying with MHD is already not a stock match.

So imo, those who have already flashed BM3, get a dealer flash. And if you still wish to have a tune switch to MHD if you can. If you are still stock go with MHD as your first pick, unless you want the BMW MPERFORMANCE tune and are willing to burn that cash. A bmw or Dinan DME tune would be th safest option outright because the dmv will know ita a valid tune from bmw.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2022, 10:09 AM   #49
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's viable if it's the first tune you use after a stock flash. To flash bm3 to MHD wouldn't work in theory because the tune you would be copying with MHD is already not a stock match.

So imo, those who have already flashed BM3, get a dealer flash. And if you still wish to have a tune switch to MHD if you can. If you are still stock go with MHD as your first pick, unless you want the BMW MPERFORMANCE tune and are willing to burn that cash. A bmw or Dinan DME tune would be th safest option outright because the dmv will know ita a valid tune from bmw.
Thanks again, I appreciate the continued conversation on this topic. I did not see anything about the burbles management via Dinan or even Carbahn flash tunes…could be wrong though.

So, if one is interested in managing the burbles only, without risking smog/emission test failures…is MHD the safest option? The BM3 appeal for this feature is how it can manage burbles duration and intensity…I presume MHD has similar feature set.

Perusing the MHD website…they mention

"Available flash options:
- Exhaust burble (Duration base and sport mode, aggressiveness, min/max. speed, min/max. rpm)"

Is this included in the standard MHD Flasher or the is Super License required?

Trying to discern what to purchase to acquire the CS/GTS tune + burble management…would one need the MHD Flasher + WiFi module?
      07-19-2022, 10:10 AM   #50
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again, I appreciate the continued conversation on this topic. I did not see anything about the burbles management via Dinan or even Carbahn flash tunes…could be wrong though.

So, if one is interested in managing the burbles only, without risking smog/emission test failures…is MHD the safest option? The BM3 appeal for this feature is how it can manage burbles duration and intensity…I presume MHD has similar feature set.

- Exhaust burble (Duration base and sport mode, aggressiveness, min/max. speed, min/max. rpm)"

Trying to discern what to purchase to acquire the CS/GTS tune + burble management…would one need the MHD Flasher + WiFi module?
Burbles control is part of the tuning suite. The superlicense is good because you get the tune and monitoring suite.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 10:24 AM   #51
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Burbles control is part of the tuning suite. The superlicense is good because you get the tune and monitoring suite.
Sorry…I'm being real thick and slow as molasses today: is the MHD Tuning suite you referenced same as MHD Flasher

https://mhdtuning.com/collections/mh...icense-for-s55

So, to rephrase the Q: if I just want the CS/GTS tune + burbles management, do I need the Super license or the base flasher license? I just want the barebones functionality…
      07-19-2022, 10:26 AM   #52
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Sorry…I'm being real thick and slow as molasses today: is the MHD Tuning suite you referenced same as MHD Flasher

https://mhdtuning.com/collections/mh...icense-for-s55

So, to rephrase the Q: if I just want the CS/GTS tune + burbles management, do I need the Super license or the base flasher license? I just want the barebones functionality…
The flasher is the license to flash. The tunes are in the map pack. You need those two at min.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2022, 10:28 AM   #53
Nick7700
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 F83 Atlantis Metallic

Quote:

That's good news!
2024 BMW X6 M60i Isle of Man Green / Ivory White
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 12:11 PM   #54
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Logicoeur for the invaluable insight!!
      07-19-2022, 01:48 PM   #55
M3_S55low
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I was heavily tuned and running downpipes, no pass. Then I put my cats back on and flashed BM3 to my Stock tune, and passed. This was PA.

Swapping a DME is a fairly involved job (done it), so I wouldn't unless it's a last resort.
I am ok with doing the DME swap every 2 years if it saves me the headache of dealing with CA.

Mainly looking to see if anyone has passed the way you did within CA.

If it helps I shipped the car to CA and got it smog checked last year.
So it only has one entry I'm wondering if I should chance the BM3 Tune then flash to stock when smog is needed the following year.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 01:36 PM   #56
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by daruuuuton View Post
Quote:
I was heavily tuned and running downpipes, no pass. Then I put my cats back on and flashed BM3 to my Stock tune, and passed. This was PA.

Swapping a DME is a fairly involved job (done it), so I wouldn't unless it's a last resort.
I am ok with doing the DME swap every 2 years if it saves me the headache of dealing with CA.

Mainly looking to see if anyone has passed the way you did within CA.

If it helps I shipped the car to CA and got it smog checked last year.
So it only has one entry I'm wondering if I should chance the BM3 Tune then flash to stock when smog is needed the following year.
I saw another CA guy who just had to go to the dealership and get a software reset or re-flash, that way his numbers matched what was in the OBD number/code system.
      07-20-2022, 06:02 PM   #57
M3_S55low
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I saw another CA guy who just had to go to the dealership and get a software reset or re-flash, that way his numbers matched what was in the OBD number/code system.
That is a method for sure. I am trying to stay away from taking a trip to the dealership to flash or re-flash every 2 years.

Honestly just want the freedom to mod my car but these smog laws are just a pita.

I went into a rabbit hole to find ways of cloning our DMEs to match the same ID as our stock DMEs. If I am able to tune the car then overwrite the CAL ID to match the stock DME we should be solid.

Installing ISTA+ and Toolset32 seems to be my answer but the work to get there does not seem worth the trouble.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 11:02 AM   #58
coldsoup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daruuuuton View Post
Quote:
That is a method for sure. I am trying to stay away from taking a trip to the dealership to flash or re-flash every 2 years.

Honestly just want the freedom to mod my car but these smog laws are just a pita.

I went into a rabbit hole to find ways of cloning our DMEs to match the same ID as our stock DMEs. If I am able to tune the car then overwrite the CAL ID to match the stock DME we should be solid.

Installing ISTA+ and Toolset32 seems to be my answer but the work to get there does not seem worth the trouble.
I wonder if this is something kubax can figure out and offer as a service.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 07:49 PM   #59
M4theWIN1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Simply ridiculous! After seeing all this, I'm so thankful to be in the boring state of KS to where I don't have to deal with emissions. I feel for you all having to go through this circus year after year!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 10:08 PM   #60
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

I've asked before but looks like no one here runs Weistec S55 tune. Their stage W1 is CARB approved, no need to flash to stock blah blah blah. The down fall is no custom tune option but they do have a catless option you can run in between. You have to purchase stage 1 with handheld then upgrade to W2 tune. Your stock tune gets backed up.
https://www.weistec.com/s55-ecu-tune.html

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...v6mVv8C7NNSt-y
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 12:52 PM   #61
WordOnRoad
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70/F80

Quote:

I don't think this is accurate. Having any type of aftermarket software loaded onto the DME (despite it being a "stock" map), will still trigger a flag in the system and require a trip to the MAC center as the IDs won't match.

Maybe contacting Wedge or MHD for clarification is the next step.
IG: 475_f80
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 12:55 PM   #62
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordOnRoad View Post
Quote:

I don't think this is accurate. Having any type of aftermarket software loaded onto the DME (despite it being a "stock" map), will still trigger a flag in the system and require a trip to the MAC center as the IDs won't match.

Maybe contacting Wedge or MHD for clarification is the next step.
Not true because I and others have passed recently with MHD and others on Bm3 following the same process have not.

MHD on Stg0 Fabspeed catted. The IDs the rmv compares match.
Appreciate 2
      08-11-2022, 01:02 PM   #63
WordOnRoad
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70/F80

Quote:
Not true because I and others have passed recently with MHD and others on Bm3 following the same process have not.

MHD on Stg0 Fabspeed catted. The IDs the rmv compares match.
That's huge!

I'm going to flash to zero and see if my buddy at the BMW dealer can confirm the IDs match.
IG: 475_f80
Appreciate 2
      08-11-2022, 01:08 PM   #64
Nick7700
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes. Please keep us updated once you find out. If this is confirmed, I can make the switch to MHD. It sucks running the stock flash. Anxiously waiting....
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 01:09 PM   #65
Nick7700
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordOnRoad View Post
That's huge!

I'm going to flash to zero and see if my buddy at the BMW dealer can confirm the IDs match.
Yes. Please keep us updated once you find out. If this is confirmed, I can make the switch to MHD. It sucks running the stock flash. Anxiously waiting....
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 01:30 PM   #66
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
While I love my MHD tune, will test its ability to pass emission tests shortly:

- next week, I got my last maintenance scheduled with my dealership (can't believe my warranty is already at 4 yr mark come September).
- while TX state ain't as difficult/diligent as other states when it comes to emissions (I'm looking at you CA, CO and MA!!!), I will have my state inspection next June, will see how that goes
- it has been confirmed that Kubax CAN absolutely help flash the DME to stock in the same manner as the dealer, thus, if I have any issues next yr, I'll hit him up for sure…he's a stand up guy, top notch, and more cost effective than a dealer visit (I read reports of dealers charging ~400 gold coins to flash your DME to stock)
- lastly, this is the exact same question I just sent to MHD, will post their response when I get it

[COLOR="Blue"]When flashing back to stock, and uninstalling the MHD tune, would the exact same DME parameters I had prior to first/initial flash be placed back?

Meaning, does your software make an exact backup copy of my DME parameters prior to writing your MHD tune? Specifically, the growing Bimmerpost community worries are regarding tag values like CalID and CVN not matching when performing emission tests - which would trigger the said tests to fail[/COLOR].