proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-22-2022, 06:30 AM   #23
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfkiller View Post
Side ? I got the BM3 cables to plug into my phone. Can I use bimmercode thru that cable as well. Or will I need to get a Bluetooth dongle?
Yeah you should be able to
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 09:04 AM   #24
sdhasher21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhasher21 View Post
Wish there was a good digital gauge setup like JB4 has. Using BM3 and that's really the only thing I wish it had.
You have the app and use a cable or wifi to get the gauges on your phone or tablet
Ok, now I feel stupid. Just checked the setting and switched to gauges vs bar graphs.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 12:15 AM   #25
Abacus38
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 Comp

I come from N54 world so naturally it was MHD for me. Chris from Motiv tuned my single turbo 335i. He'll be doing the same once I'm ready to single turbo my m4. Now with that being said I would used the platform that your preferred tuner uses. If he is a MHD guy then use MHD. If he is a BM3 guy then use BM3
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 12:31 PM   #26
ElectroThermal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80M3

** Edit **
Updating this in case someone stumbles upon this post in the future - When revisiting this topic for inspection the following year I again went though the process of flashing back to stock. Using BM3 alone, I can confirm flashing back to stock and locking will align your CAL-ID and CVN. In the original post below, I was flashing to stock without locking, which appears to make all the difference in this regard.

--- Original post ---
As promised, I did a bit of experimenting with BM3 while monitoring the CAL-ID/CVN values. These DME parameter have recently been causing a number of people fail state inspection - even after returning to stock. Wanted to provide some insight to hopefully clear up some of the conflicting information on the forums.

To return to a true stock configuration, I had Kubax remote in and flash the car back to factory. I then verified the CAL-ID/CVN in ISTA+ to confirm:

After passing inspection, I then came back and re-flashed via BM3 my modified tune. Note, I did not do any DCT tuning. I then read the CAL-ID/CVN values again:

As expected, the EngineControl unit now has conflicting values that would cause an inspection failure if attempted in this state. I then used BM3 to return to my "stock" map. After a successful flash, I then reread the values:

Noting the CVN was changed from the modified BM3 tune, but it did not return to the initial stock value. It appears BM3 may not be flashing your actual stock tune when using its flash to stock feature, or is simply not rewriting the DME completely to align the calibration and integrity values. Even after flashing back to "stock" in BM3, I would still be flagged during inspection for a mismatched CAL-ID/CVN.

It is worth noting most states are not checking your CAL-ID/CVN values, and you may pass inspection in your state just fine on a tune or on the pseudo-stock tune provided by the software. This information is really relevant for those of us in a state that does check, limited to CA and MA as far as I'm aware. Hopefully this helps someone avoid the headache of being flagged and referred to a state inspector, or to help inform their decision on which tuning vender to pursue.

Last edited by ElectroThermal; 08-26-2023 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 5
JAI///M3528.00
Wanted_M756.00
2sporty243.50
MSH1.50
SYT_Shadow11462.00
      09-10-2022, 03:38 PM   #27
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

That’s entirely normal. They check just for a check of CAL/CVN, not that it matches something random on the car. I’ve passed emissions when relocked to stock 4 years running. You don’t need to under any circumstance realign the whole car and all ECUs. Point is that ECUs have a match on CALID/CVN when going into emissions check in CA.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 05:22 PM   #28
ElectroThermal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Point is that ECUs have a match on CALID/CVN when going into emissions check in CA.
Right, the alignment of the CAL-ID and CVN is what's needed to pass - not that the value needs to be some particular arbitrary number, correct? My point is once a tune was applied the synchronicity between the two was lost and do not match, even after returning to stock.

What action would you then suggest to realign the still unmatched CAL-ID/CVN now that BM3 has been removed and returned to stock?
MSH1.50
      09-11-2022, 03:37 PM   #29
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommix View Post
I have noticed one thing in wireless use:
BM3:

and MHD:

I personally like MHD's simple and small obd-wifi adapter. Super easy to instal and remove.
In my case I am using the enet cable for istaD, E-sys, BM3, therefore I use one cable for programming, diagnosis and flashing.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 04:56 PM   #30
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroThermal View Post
Right, the alignment of the CAL-ID and CVN is what's needed to pass - not that the value needs to be some particular arbitrary number, correct? My point is once a tune was applied the synchronicity between the two was lost and do not match, even after returning to stock.

What action would you then suggest to realign the still unmatched CAL-ID/CVN now that BM3 has been removed and returned to stock?
If you’re really gung-ho on the alignment of all computers in the car then you can just use ISTA or ESYS but then again I really have no idea why you’d ever want that as no one cares what or how other modules in the car relate to any others. In terms of function it all just works
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 06:17 PM   #31
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

^^ He's referring to Control unit 0x12 (engine control) not matching original CVN as you can clearly see on screen shots, if that doesn't match you will FAIL period. He ended up with two different CVN numbers from BM3. OEM stock CVN (E6CF2E2C) -> flashing to BM3 tune changed to (6D542779) -> flashing back to BM3 "stock" map (45CD20BE). What's interesting is you keep saying its not an issue but it is, no idea how are you're passing with mismatch engine control unit or your county is not really checking for that?

I'm confused..
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf

Last edited by Wanted_M; 09-15-2022 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 4
2sporty243.50
Jbonly211065.00
MSH1.50
      09-11-2022, 06:29 PM   #32
ElectroThermal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you’re really gung-ho on the alignment of all computers in the car then you can just use ISTA or ESYS but then again I really have no idea why you’d ever want that as no one cares what or how other modules in the car relate to any others. In terms of function it all just works
My point has never been to align all the computers on the car?

The entire point is the EngineControl computer has a non-matched CAL-ID/CVN after tuning and then returning to stock with BM3 causing people to fail the emissions integrity check.
      09-12-2022, 01:44 PM   #33
Tommix
Private First Class
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrive_X View Post
In my case I am using the enet cable for istaD, E-sys, BM3, therefore I use one cable for programming, diagnosis and flashing.
This cable system is totally fine unless you do monitoring and logging. I don't like any extra wires in my car.

Previous: F20 M135 AWD AT 445 bhp, E93 335iA 450 bhp, E92 335iA 650 bhp, E60 535DA, E61 535DA, E34 530iA
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 08:32 PM   #34
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Ecutek uses your factory calibration (or the cal id it has after bm3 changes back to stock for those switching).

It's the first step when unlocking is to check the factory cal id.

Regardless, an Ecutek tune done by Bend Calibration is my recommendation. They have absolutely transformed my car into the smoothest running setup with their bend anti-kangaroo throttle mapping and their completely custom boost control. Add this to the best flex fuel setup (they were truly one of the first to do flex properly on this platform). I could go on but feel free to do your own research.
Wanted_M756.00
      09-12-2022, 09:15 PM   #35
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Quote:
As promised, I did a bit of experimenting with BM3 while monitoring the CAL-ID/CVN values. These DME parameter have recently been causing a number of people fail state inspection - even after returning to stock. Wanted to provide some insight to hopefully clear up some of the conflicting information on the forums.

To return to a true stock configuration, I had Kubax remote in and flash the car back to factory. I then verified the CAL-ID/CVN in ISTA+ to confirm:

After passing inspection, I then came back and re-flashed via BM3 my modified tune. Note, I did not do any DCT tuning. I then read the CAL-ID/CVN values again:

As expected, the EngineControl unit now has conflicting values that would cause an inspection failure if attempted in this state. I then used BM3 to return to my "stock" map. After a successful flash, I then reread the values:

Noting the CVN was changed from the modified BM3 tune, but it did not return to the initial stock value. It appears BM3 may not be flashing your actual stock tune when using its flash to stock feature, or is simply not rewriting the DME completely to align the calibration and integrity values. Even after flashing back to "stock" in BM3, I would still be flagged during inspection for a mismatched CAL-ID/CVN.

It is worth noting most states are not checking your CAL-ID/CVN values, and you may pass inspection in your state just fine on a tune or on the pseudo-stock tune provided by the software. This information is really relevant for those of us in a state that does check, limited to CA and MA as far as I'm aware. Hopefully this helps someone avoid the headache of being flagged and referred to a state inspector, or to help inform their decision on which tuning vender to pursue.
Damn, great information thanks, I am in Cal and was planning on go BM3. I will probably just wait till after my smog.
      09-12-2022, 10:17 PM   #36
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
^^ He's reffering to Control unit 0x12 (engine control) not matching original CVN as you can clearly see on screen shots, if that doesn't match you will FAIL period. He ended up with two different CVN numbers from BM3. OEM stock CVN (E6CF2E2C) -> flashing to BM3 tune changed to (6D542779) -> flashing back to BM3 "stock" map (45CD20BE). What's intereting is you keep saying its not an issue but it is, no idea how are you're passing with mismatch engine control unit or your county is not really checking for that?

I'm confused..
He is talking about 2 things. In short, flashing to STOCK AND RELOCKING puts stock untampered flash on the car and its CVN/CALID match on the DME. Period, full stop, end of story.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 11:51 PM   #37
Metalm4
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrive_X View Post
I am also using only ENET cable and connect it to my home network. This way i can use all apps on every pc and smartphone via wlan.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 11:25 PM   #38
Xer0449
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Evo GSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalm4 View Post
I am also using only ENET cable and connect it to my home network. This way i can use all apps on every pc and smartphone via wlan.
This is the pro move.
      09-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #39
MSH
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2000 M Coupe (sold)

Quote:
My point has never been to align all the computers on the car?

The entire point is the EngineControl computer has a non-matched CAL-ID/CVN after tuning and then returning to stock with BM3 causing people to fail the emissions integrity check.
I spoke with a tech at one of the State Referee/Testing centers here in CO about the ECU scans and they have a database with all the stock ECU CVN/CAL IDs from the various manufacturers. If your CVN CAL ID doesn't match you fail....even if you have a CARB legal tune. Don't know if BMW publishes it publicly but VAG group does. Here's all the stock CVNs/CAL IDs for my '16 Golf R. If my CVN/CAL ID doesn't match one of these 4 CVN/CAL ID combos it's an immediate fail. From the sounds of these various posts this is where BM3 "Stock" tune is not matching up unlike MHD where everything aligns. There have been enough documented cases on this forum where people have failed emissions with BM3 stock tune there's no way I'd go with BM3 over MHD in CA, MA, or CO.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 11:14 AM   #40
banana
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 (Tuned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
OP,

MHD team are programmers; they only work on the software, not the actual tuning map. They buy their maps from third part tuners.

PTF (the company that makes BM3) are the tuners and programmers of bm3. Everything is made in-house.

This makes me trust their product and support more.

We offer the Kies wireless adapter for $99 for bm3.

ahhh i didn't know this....this is making me sway towards BM3 now!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 06:27 PM   #41
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH View Post
I spoke with a tech at one of the State Referee/Testing centers here in CO about the ECU scans and they have a database with all the stock ECU CVN/CAL IDs from the various manufacturers. If your CVN CAL ID doesn't match you fail....even if you have a CARB legal tune. Don't know if BMW publishes it publicly but VAG group does. Here's all the stock CVNs/CAL IDs for my '16 Golf R. If my CVN/CAL ID doesn't match one of these 4 CVN/CAL ID combos it's an immediate fail. From the sounds of these various posts this is where BM3 "Stock" tune is not matching up unlike MHD where everything aligns. There have been enough documented cases on this forum where people have failed emissions with BM3 stock tune there's no way I'd go with BM3 over MHD in CA, MA, or CO.
Once again, if you flash stock and relock with BM3 your CALID and CVN will match. If you actually have BM3 try it. I might just do it next time I’m out in the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 04:32 AM   #42
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Where can you purchase the MHD WiFi dongle and maps from? Any local shops carry them like SSR or EAS?

I rather go to a shop to initially unlock my DME In case issues arise and then I can change maps myself later. Not sure if this is the best approach.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 11:28 AM   #43
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I can confirm that Bootmod3 saves your stock tune. Bootmod3 stock and lock reverts to the original cal id/cvn. BM3 also worked with me when I had to take my F80 in for the 4G/LTE comma upgrade which would result in a new istep. They reset my account prior to reinstalling my tune so that it would save the new stock programming. Verified CALID/CVN prior to tune. Then tested going back to stock/lock and calid/cvn was just as it was. Did all this because I know I’ll be moving to Cali in a year.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 10:22 AM   #44
WordOnRoad
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70/F80

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to do this! I use MHD, and will need to do something similar.

Quote:
He is talking about 2 things. In short, flashing to STOCK AND RELOCKING puts stock untampered flash on the car and its CVN/CALID match on the DME. Period, full stop, end of story.
Where do you see that the values match on the screenshots from ElectroThermal?

The values that the state will check are clearly different after returning back to stock. Is relocking something else that needs to be done? You seem to have a good understanding of this so maybe just be helpful instead of condescending.
IG: 475_f80
Appreciate 0