Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CENTRAL/SOUTH AMERICA

06-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #4687
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Looks like a relatively sunny nordic day for the match!
Appreciate 2
minn1914012.00
myzmak2415.00
      06-12-2021, 07:47 PM   #4688
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
It's so nice to know some of our crazies escaped to Canada; From North Vancouver:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Cayman GTS sounds lovely. Congrats minn19

and GT4 also sounds lovely. Congrats to you.

and that is crazy re the mods. I have now browsed a bit more and found the F8X vs thread you mentioned - hilariously long. longer than SSOTT II!

GG got banned for a meme? did it involve buck teeth? (as that is my reaction always)

and agreed looks matter. as i said, I damn near got an RS6 Avant based solely on looks.
Man I'm so happy too see you around, I'm declaring today an official Canada day! There wasn't one previously, I presume, and the name seems kinda goose.

What's up? Working still too much?
Well, July 1 WAS canada day but i guess, uhhhh <looks at calendar> June 12 works too……just be weird that nobody got a holiday for it……

And, yeah, working lots. Its been busy, but busy is good. Have been working from home for the last 15 months (i.e. COVID) so that has been good as I've spent a LOT of it working at our place in the mountains, which is quite nice. Cause I can ski during the winter, golf/hike during the summer, etc.

What's new with you? How is life in Finland? How are the Finns in general? (other than nearly killing Danish football players by giving them heart attacks from what I see in the news today…..) Did you ever buy a car to replace Peter?

Did i mention i am supposed to be in Finland next summer ('22)?

Quote:
It's so nice to know some of our crazies escaped to Canada; From North Vancouver:

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Well, shit, I had no idea Queen Lizzie was handing those out but …that seems pretty legit. I mean, signed and everything, so fuck. I guess no more masks for me…….

(And one thing COVID has been REALLY good at up here as much as down there is having all our crazies reveal themselves)
      06-13-2021, 04:15 PM   #4689
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I wonder if this lady is regretful of stealing this ball from a 10-year-old? Given she's on video doing it forever, if she is, she'll have lots of opportunities to tell people about it
Appreciate 1
minn1914012.00
      06-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #4690
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
In twitter autos news, someone came back to their parking spot and found a new swimmin hole!
Appreciate 2
minn1914012.00
myzmak2415.00
      06-16-2021, 05:58 PM   #4691
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Q
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
minn1914012.00
      06-16-2021, 06:48 PM   #4692
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I don't want to start any rumors, but just spotted this and it's looking toward Apple's Flying Saucer Campus so that's what's probably burning:

From this angle it looks like brush & trees nowhere near there ... still ... could be Apple's campus.
Appreciate 1
minn1914012.00
      06-18-2021, 12:37 AM   #4693
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I don't watch any of these shows but ... good lord ... anyone who doesn't tear up over this is a monster.
Appreciate 1
minn1914012.00
      06-18-2021, 10:14 AM   #4694
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
I don't watch any of these shows but ... good lord ... anyone who doesn't tear up over this is a monster.
Wow, that is impressive and moving. I didn't tear up, but felt something so half monster?

Unfortunately, I deal with terminal kids a lot via my work so I've become somewhat jaded for personal protection sake is my guess.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      06-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #4695
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Other sad news, was any one WKRP fans like I was as a kid?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/17/enter...ath/index.html
Appreciate 3
GrussGott18116.50
myzmak2415.00
      06-18-2021, 06:43 PM   #4696
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post

AWWW MAN! WKRP was a great show and we just watched it again on Hulu a few years back.

On a related note, Jan Smithers who played Bailey Quarters, was a teenager in California in spring 1966 - a Newsweek reporter was writing a story on crazy teenagers and stopped by the beach to take some pics and this one made the cover:

Inside there was another one in the article:

From those pics she was offered gigs that eventually led to WKRP in 1978
Appreciate 2
minn1914012.00
myzmak2415.00
      06-18-2021, 07:47 PM   #4697
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Today's random bit of wisdom
Whatever success you have is mostly due to luck and your smarts to not fuck it up.

Great example:
10 years ago my wife graduated from law school into the worst law grad hiring environment in years. People from top schools were going jobless and 2-3 years worth of grads were more/less worthless - if you didn't go to a top 10 school, no job and even if you did, maybe.

Now, just 10 years later, it's a law grad drought and firms are paying up to 4 bonuses; many large firms are paying 6 figure signing bonuses, spring, fall, and EOY bonuses in addition to luxury gifts, car services, leased company cars, WFH arrangements, et al.

In short, the same 2 people with the same skills and same degrees can stumble into VASTLY different environments that more/less determine the rest of their careers.

Luckily for us, her law school was mostly for a break from her normal job and something we were able to negotiate price on* and afford ... but for many of her classmates, they were saddled with 6 figure debt and no job.

To this day her alumni class has one of the fewest # of grads still at firms in the school's history.

note: tuition at universities is ALWAYS negotiable - if you create a little bit of leverage.
Appreciate 2
myzmak2415.00
minn1914012.00
      06-19-2021, 05:11 PM   #4698
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Whatever success you have is mostly due to luck and your smarts to not fuck it up.

Great example:
10 years ago my wife graduated from law school into the worst law grad hiring environment in years. People from top schools were going jobless and 2-3 years worth of grads were more/less worthless - if you didn't go to a top 10 school, no job and even if you did, maybe.

Now, just 10 years later, it's a law grad drought and firms are paying up to 4 bonuses; many large firms are paying 6 figure signing bonuses, spring, fall, and EOY bonuses in addition to luxury gifts, car services, leased company cars, WFH arrangements, et al.

In short, the same 2 people with the same skills and same degrees can stumble into VASTLY different environments that more/less determine the rest of their careers.

Luckily for us, her law school was mostly for a break from her normal job and something we were able to negotiate price on* and afford ... but for many of her classmates, they were saddled with 6 figure debt and no job.

To this day her alumni class has one of the fewest # of grads still at firms in the school's history.

note: tuition at universities is ALWAYS negotiable - if you create a little bit of leverage.
Quote:

I loved Herb Tarlek. And the whole damn show. One of the best comedies ever put on the TV.

Quote:

Great example:

Yup. I've seen this cycle run through a few times. Fact is, though, those that graduate in harder times tend to do better in the long run. Having to put the effort into your career makes for a better lawyer than one who gets it handed to them.

(That said, the current 1st year associate salaries in the US are getting pretty insane.)
minn1914012.00
      06-19-2021, 05:43 PM   #4699
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Fact is, though, those that graduate in harder times tend to do better in the long run. Having to put the effort into your career makes for a better lawyer than one who gets it handed to them.
ehhhh ... I dunno about that, depending. My wife's law class (and the few before/after it that we know about) I would characterize as not doing so hot.

It's a T14 school so expensive and many/most students expected to graduate with a job ... entitlement mentality TBH. Here's kinda the breakdown:

(1.) The top 5% - they did fine - big law - like the top 30% usually do

(2.) The next 35% - mixed bag, ~30% Big Law, 20% in-house corporate lawyers, 30% random corp jobs, 15% small firms, 5% private practice

(3.) The bottom 60% - replace Big Law with unknown

In the past, 50% of those people would've been Big Law and the rest gigs corporations, startups, etc.

The women especially fell out in large nums - about 80%!

Net-net: at least here in the US, a lot of those grads w/ a big expensive law degree aren't lawyers and/or aren't using their legal training other than to get a corporate job.

Basically all the new M&A and corporate work is driving the US boom now just like shale oil did for most of Western Canada in the 2000-2020 era.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #4700
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hey minn19 - what's the deal on the Mercs? I'm putting a GLE 63 into the mix due to the shortages, etc ... that's a badass ride! It's not as fast as the BMW (barely) and doesn't handle as well BUT in it's giggly fun at every stoplight and I actually like the start-stop system!

I'll probably wait until fall to order or later due to every one of these SUVs selling like quarter taps on spring break
Appreciate 2
minn1914012.00
      06-21-2021, 01:57 PM   #4701
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Hey minn19 - what's the deal on the Mercs? I'm putting a GLE 63 into the mix due to the shortages, etc ... that's a badass ride! It's not as fast as the BMW (barely) and doesn't handle as well BUT in it's giggly fun at every stoplight and I actually like the start-stop system!

I'll probably wait until fall to order or later due to every one of these SUVs selling like quarter taps on spring break
Honestly, I don't know much about it. It seems like it is the SUV version of a C63 so it has the great TT V8 and awesome interior. The infotainment layout/usage is worse than iDrive but much more configurable. Almost too much so, but once you get it down it's decent enough usage wise IMO. I love our Burmester much more than any HK system FWIW. Not a bad way to go if you are looking for that type of thing. The performance numbers look damn good. On that note, one thing I noticed is that the F80 M3/4 seemed to always get better 0-60 and 1/4 miles times must be due to traction off the line. Because our C63S feels much more muscular from a roll and everywhere else than my previous M3/4s (sound isn't even a contest). I can't overstate how great this engine is. The MCT isn't as good as BMWs DCT but better/on par the ZF8s IMO.

Last edited by minn19; 06-21-2021 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18116.50
myzmak2415.00
      06-21-2021, 10:26 PM   #4702
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Why yes, the Biebers & Macrons HAVE met ... guess who's least happy in the pic!

Appreciate 1
myzmak2415.00
      06-22-2021, 09:18 AM   #4703
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
ehhhh ... I dunno about that, depending. My wife's law class (and the few before/after it that we know about) I would characterize as not doing so hot.

It's a T14 school so expensive and many/most students expected to graduate with a job ... entitlement mentality TBH. Here's kinda the breakdown:

(1.) The top 5% - they did fine - big law - like the top 30% usually do

(2.) The next 35% - mixed bag, ~30% Big Law, 20% in-house corporate lawyers, 30% random corp jobs, 15% small firms, 5% private practice

(3.) The bottom 60% - replace Big Law with unknown

In the past, 50% of those people would've been Big Law and the rest gigs corporations, startups, etc.

The women especially fell out in large nums - about 80%!

Net-net: at least here in the US, a lot of those grads w/ a big expensive law degree aren't lawyers and/or aren't using their legal training other than to get a corporate job.

Basically all the new M&A and corporate work is driving the US boom now just like shale oil did for most of Western Canada in the 2000-2020 era.
yeah, my (poorly stated) point was a bit different. More that for those who do make it into the mix in a shitty market they end up being better partners in the long run than those who come out in really good/easy times (the virtue of adversity sometimes making a stronger end product)

but zero doubt that a lot of grads right now are being born on 2nd base in their legal careers and thinking they hit doubles.

Last time something this big happened in terms of the legal market was about 21 years ago (coincidentally right when i was coming out of law school). between the time most people in my class had their post-law school jobs lined up (which, back then, happened after 2L) and the time they started working a year later their salaries had all doubled. (not mine, as i went to clerk after 3L and...well, the government didnt play the 'compete with private sector' game....so that kind of sucked)

for about 7 or 8 years i helped do recruitment at our firm and witnessed the ebbs and flows from years where WE were chasing students to ones where there was more pressure on THEM to impress US and give them jobs. On balance, as i say, for those who were able to land and stick the gig at a firm like ours those who came through in tougher times are better lawyers.

on women, that is an even bigger perennial issue in BigLaw. we hire at least 50% of our first years as women. but they definitely leave to go in house, government, leave the law, etc, at much higher rates.

Interestingly (well, to me anyway ) i would say we have much lower attrition for women in litigation than the corporate lawyers do. Not sure if it is culture (probably) or also work control (litigation is much, much easier to juggle a schedule than one that depends on deal flow) but, say, last 5-8 years probably half the partners we've made in litigation are women as compared to a much lower # in corporate.

national newspaper has been doing a lot of coverage on this issue up here for the last year (which, to the relief of the pointy foreheads who run my firm, has not yet featured us...)

Also: the M176.M177 is a lovely engine.

minn19 do you get the hand-signed / one man-one engine job in your C63?
      06-22-2021, 03:12 PM   #4704
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
we hire at least 50% of our first years as women. but they definitely leave to go in house, government, leave the law, etc, at much higher rates.

national newspaper has been doing a lot of coverage on this issue up here for the last year (which, to the relief of the pointy foreheads who run my firm, has not yet featured us...)
it's an interesting question why women leave law, corporate management, startups, etc ... and controversial to discuss

There's a theory that it's due to the good ole boys network & culture and that even corps w/ women CEOs have it since the woman essentially had to adapt to men's culture to make it to the top ... that's probably a large part of it ...

But in my anecdotal experience there's a few interesting observations:

(1.) I worked for 15 years in a heavily woman dominated division - for 80% of that time my bosses were women and 60%+ of my colleagues were women; they would all confide that they were frustrated women were leaving at the upper levels and they were never given good reasons why.

(2.) I work & have worked with a ton of startups, some mostly women and a few all women. I don't know any women founders or execs who keep working after they make their cabbage. like zero.

(3.) And, tangentially, more women are becoming badass muthafuckas than even before

she catches the fucking chair.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 03:47 PM   #4705
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
In vaccine news:

So heads up!
Appreciate 1
minn1914012.00
      06-22-2021, 09:59 PM   #4706
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
yeah, my (poorly stated) point was a bit different. More that for those who do make it into the mix in a shitty market they end up being better partners in the long run than those who come out in really good/easy times (the virtue of adversity sometimes making a stronger end product)

but zero doubt that a lot of grads right now are being born on 2nd base in their legal careers and thinking they hit doubles.

Last time something this big happened in terms of the legal market was about 21 years ago (coincidentally right when i was coming out of law school). between the time most people in my class had their post-law school jobs lined up (which, back then, happened after 2L) and the time they started working a year later their salaries had all doubled. (not mine, as i went to clerk after 3L and...well, the government didnt play the 'compete with private sector' game....so that kind of sucked)

for about 7 or 8 years i helped do recruitment at our firm and witnessed the ebbs and flows from years where WE were chasing students to ones where there was more pressure on THEM to impress US and give them jobs. On balance, as i say, for those who were able to land and stick the gig at a firm like ours those who came through in tougher times are better lawyers.

on women, that is an even bigger perennial issue in BigLaw. we hire at least 50% of our first years as women. but they definitely leave to go in house, government, leave the law, etc, at much higher rates.

Interestingly (well, to me anyway ) i would say we have much lower attrition for women in litigation than the corporate lawyers do. Not sure if it is culture (probably) or also work control (litigation is much, much easier to juggle a schedule than one that depends on deal flow) but, say, last 5-8 years probably half the partners we've made in litigation are women as compared to a much lower # in corporate.

Also: the M176.M177 is a lovely engine.

minn19 do you get the hand-signed / one man-one engine job in your C63?
It is, I’ll see if I can get a pic posted in the next couple of days. Was at kids soccer all night tonight.

Quote:
it's an interesting question why women leave law, corporate management, startups, etc ... and controversial to discuss

There's a theory that it's due to the good ole boys network & culture and that even corps w/ women CEOs have it since the woman essentially had to adapt to men's culture to make it to the top ... that's probably a large part of it ...

But in my anecdotal experience there's a few interesting observations:

(1.) I worked for 15 years in a heavily woman dominated division - for 80% of that time my bosses were women and 60%+ of my colleagues were women; they would all confide that they were frustrated women were leaving at the upper levels and they were never given good reasons why.

(2.) I work & have worked with a ton of startups, some mostly women and a few all women. I don't know any women founders or execs who keep working after they make their cabbage. like zero.

(3.) And, tangentially, more women are becoming badass muthafuckas than even before

she catches the fucking chair.
I’ve seen that video before and it’s got to be made up, but I keep watching it every now & then and it looks real.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18116.50
myzmak2415.00
      06-22-2021, 11:21 PM   #4707
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’ve seen that video before and it’s got to be made up, but I keep watching it every now & then and it looks real.
Yeah, I've tried to analyze too ... it's like 50/50 ... how she casually checks back at the guy she throat punched - that *could* be made up, but it also seems like a real spontaneous thing and she definitely looks pissed when the guy throws the chair at her.

But either way, it's fucking awesome so I'm in. It's real, and it's badass!

It's like watching Ronda Rousey punch dudes.

Appreciate 1
minn1914012.00
      06-23-2021, 04:24 PM   #4708
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I don't wanna freak anyone out, but I'm told this was taken just a few hours ago at a lake in Scotland and it seems legit.

Appreciate 2
minn1914012.00
myzmak2415.00