ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Question Interesting DCT Occurrence - Drivelogic issue?

Hi everyone,

Recently I began noticing a strange quirk with my DCT in the M3. When I accelerate normally from a stop, in gears 4, 5 and 6 (6 not as much), I feel a slight jerk/surge/stumble? when crossing over 2K RPM. It does not accelerate smoothly at that one brief moment. It almost feels like if you're trying to keep a steady throttle and hit a slight dip in the road and it causes the throttle position to change for that brief instance in time. My sensation is not a severe feeling but it is noticeable.

I believe it is a Drivelogic issue for the following reasons:

1) It only happens in Sport + throttle with S2 shift settings (haven't tried S1 or S3 manual yet) This is my M1 button (Everything sport+ except steering in sport)
2) It only happens in the range of ~1850-2100 RPM in gears 4 and 5 (most noticeable). I feel it slightly in 6th but not as prominent.
3) If I feel it then reduce speed, downshift back to 4th and try to replicate it, the issue does not occur; only if accelerating normally from a stop.
4) It does not happen in efficient or sport throttle modes.
5) It does not occur in D shift modes.

I think before I got more comfortable with the DCT, I'd shift into the next gear, and give it more throttle after the gear shift. I think since I keep a more consistent throttle input now, the computer outsmarts itself and tries to anticipate my extra throttle input, disrupting my acceleration.

If it is indeed just a Drivelogic issue, is there any way to reset it without taking i to the dealer or acquiring special software? Would the dealership reset the drivelogic for me? I should be able to do a ride-along with a tech and replicate it pretty easily.

Has anyone else experienced this or something similar before? This is my first DCT car so I don't know what's 100% normal and what isn't.

Thanks everyone!

-J
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
JeffM-Houston
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - White/Sakir

Sorry, but it's operator error. And the nature of the DCT perhaps. If you are running around in Sport+ and S2 with the engine dropping down below 1800 rpm you simply aren't using it for what it was designed for. Unfortunately with any DCT there are limits to what you can program based on the mechanics inherent in the system.

For the speeds and acceleration you appear to be driving I'd suggest Sport and S1.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM-Houston View Post
Sorry, but it's operator error. And the nature of the DCT perhaps. If you are running around in Sport+ and S2 with the engine dropping down below 1800 rpm you simply aren't using it for what it was designed for. Unfortunately with any DCT there are limits to what you can program based on the mechanics inherent in the system.

For the speeds and acceleration you appear to be driving I'd suggest Sport and S1.
I appreciate your feedback. But it's not all the time I drive this way aka granny style; but my M1 button is set up with sport+.. sometimes I shift at/near red line, other times I don't; I do drive it harder in sport+ as BMW intended but there are times when I accelerate normally in this setting and that occurs.. regardless of how sport+ is supposed to be driven in this the car, to me, the car shouldn't do that.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Turn the ignition all the way on (but without starting the motor so without your foot on the brake) press and hold the gas pedal to the floor for 30 seconds.. Past kickdown.. Turn the car all the way off and back on.

Not 100% this works on the F8x but its worked on previous generations.

It resets the driving style adaptation in the transmission. Exactly what your looking for.
Appreciate 0