Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

06-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
Michael_s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C4S

Strong gas smell exterior of car

So this is kinda my intro post. Been meaning to say hello, posts pics etc. but haven't gotten around to it.. will do it.

I have a 16 M3, Black/Black that has done about 850 miles in the last month. Everything has been amazing, love the car, but out of nowhere there is a strong gas smell. I smelled it last week in the garage but didn't narrow it down to the M3 until today. Took the car to car wash and it was obvious it was my car. Plus now that it's been out of garage for the day garage basically back to normal garage smell.

The smell is not really inside the car. With windows up it's fine but with them down you get a good whiff while driving. While parked, it's pretty strong. No drips, leaks that are obvious. Trunk pretty clean smelling. Pop hood you can smell it bit not overwhelming. Friend followed me to dealer and I gave it a bit of gas and he said he could smell it pretty strong behind me with his windows down. Most powerful smell seems to be from passenger side of car. Last fill was 1/2 tank and the guy didn't realize tank was 1/2 full so he kept pulling the trigger before I said it's full.... damn NJ laws.Can this be related?

Car is at BMW now. Dropped it off as I didn't want it in garage and hopefully they can take a look in the next day or so.... any ideas/thoughts? Injector? Cat? Fuel line? Tank?

Name:  IMG_4585.JPG
Views: 1562
Size:  125.8 KB
Appreciate 1
kmouze194.00
      06-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
Michael_s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C4S

Clearly not much action here but car is fixed. It was faulty injector which lead to bad coil and plug. just in case this might help someone with similar symptoms.
Appreciate 7
      09-12-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
kmouze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02' RSX TYPE-S | 18' M3 ZCP

My garage recently just reeked of GAS fume smells, and took a while to pinpoint it was my car after having it out of the garage for a week. This is concerning as i see no leaks or any signs of a problem. Thanks for making a post about this! Will have to stop by the dealer and see whats up. Anyone else on the forums have/had similar issues? Thanks

Last edited by kmouze; 09-12-2020 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

Mouse chewed my fuel pump line last year, caused strong gas smell. Apparently pretty common. Have to replace it - $$$
Appreciate 1
kmouze194.00
      05-02-2021, 02:47 AM   #5
mjponti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 McLaren 720S, 2021 X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmouze View Post
My garage recently just reeked of GAS fume smells, and took a while to pinpoint it was my car after having it out of the garage for a week. This is concerning as i see no leaks or any signs of a problem. Thanks for making a post about this! Will have to stop by the dealer and see whats up. Anyone else on the forums have/had similar issues? Thanks
Did you ever fix your issue? I noticed something really similar today after I took the car out for a drive. My garage smells like gas now, pretty strong.
Appreciate 1
kmouze194.00
      05-03-2021, 12:46 AM   #6
kmouze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02' RSX TYPE-S | 18' M3 ZCP

Took my car to the dealership for a full check up to make sure there were no leaks anywhere. Results came back as nothing wrong. Nonetheless my gas smell is still there, but I park outside now so it only smells when I remove my car cover, faintly gassy smell. Been too busy to look further in. Let me know how it goes!
Appreciate 1
mjponti19.00