Fi Exhaust
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Yesterday, 09:57 PM   #15093
clutchdj
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

yea, and large, beastly looking women have some of the best oh let me just not..

The G8x definitely has been spiced up athletically.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott16551.00
      Yesterday, 10:09 PM   #15094
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
Over on the G80 forum (https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1891792) thereís a lot of excitement around a new Road & Track article that claims the new M4 Competition xDrive is great to drive (true) and posted better lateral g numbers (2.05g) than every other car tested, including the new Porsche 911 GT3 (1.81g), Lamborghini Huracan STO (1.52g), Mercedes AMG GT Black Series (1.72g). That seems pretty unbelievable, especially if itís a skidpad number, since Car & Driver rated the M3 Competition at 1.03g on the skidpad. But maybe itís just the max lateral g registered by their accelerometer during the road course route.
That's an interesting measure. It's definitely not the skidpad number. It's probably not a sustained through a corner number, but some sort of peak figure registered as you note.

Look at the BRZ vs. the GR86. The lap times are basically identical, which is unsurprising given that they're basically the same car, but the BRZ has a max cornering of 1.16g and the GR86 is 1.43g, which is 23% higher than the BRZ. I don't think the GR86 handles 23% better than the BRZ, given the basically identical lap times.

I think the impressive thing is how well the M4 performed compared to some really great cars. That is really cool, but relatively speaking, being the cornering g force king, probably just isn't that meaningful.
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:10 PM   #15095
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Hereís some shots from a vintage racing HPDE I attended today at Buttonwillow
God I love the Daytona Coupe. That is all.
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:25 PM   #15096
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW/Benz

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonR View Post
Look at the BRZ vs. the GR86. The lap times are basically identical, which is unsurprising given that they're basically the same car, but the BRZ has a max cornering of 1.16g and the GR86 is 1.43g, which is 23% higher than the BRZ. I don't think the GR86 handles 23% better than the BRZ, given the basically identical lap times.
Speaking of Toyo-baru's I just drove this tonight, the new BRZ. My friend traded his M2 comp for this as he already had a Mazda 3 daily and wanted something a bit more raw and lightweight and this fits the bill and put some money into other projects.

I have to say, Toyota/Subaru really made an excellent and most importantly, "affordable" (at least by modern pricing standards) sports car. The seating position is low, the manual transmission is great, the steering feels pure with real feedback and thankfully they fixed the horrible torque dip issues of the prior car. This new one while not obviously aimed for high-performance numbers being naturally aspirated and offering around 220hp and 180lb-ft torque, but weighing under 3,000lbs, which is pretty much limited to that of a Miata or Lotus, this thing is just a joy to flog around and offers some nostalgic feel of older generation sports cars. Also, it looks good too. I think the Toyota version looks better this time around but I have to say at least for now (until the image gets ruined with obscenely modded examples) its a very clean design with no fuss or gimmicks inside and out. Really the only thing that rivals this at its price point is once again the Miata, but this will of course reach a much wider audience due to its greater practicality and space.

Its gonna be a sad day when cars like this go away.

Name:  IMG-7250.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  299.8 KB
RugbyBro4373.00
      Yesterday, 11:28 PM   #15097
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

it’s a circle jerk of negativity.
Well, to be fair, you read the title of this thread right? I mean, most of us were forced here ... but you know the rules of the CJ:

You're either in the circle or you're in the middle.

Don't complain because you choose the middle.

Just sayin
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:32 PM   #15098
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post

Does this change your stance on the Gator?
ha, no. for me a full-size SUV is about an easy & accessible place to quickly put all my shit; for that the 'Gator has no competition.

I already have an over-powered cramped SUV
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:48 PM   #15099
RugbyBro
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Speaking of Toyo-baru's I just drove this tonight, the new BRZ. My friend traded his M2 comp for this as he already had a Mazda 3 daily and wanted something a bit more raw and lightweight and this fits the bill and put some money into other projects.

I have to say, Toyota/Subaru really made an excellent and most importantly, "affordable" (at least by modern pricing standards) sports car. The seating position is low, the manual transmission is great, the steering feels pure with real feedback and thankfully they fixed the horrible torque dip issues of the prior car. This new one while not obviously aimed for high-performance numbers being naturally aspirated and offering around 220hp and 180lb-ft torque, but weighing under 3,000lbs, which is pretty much limited to that of a Miata or Lotus, this thing is just a joy to flog around and offers some nostalgic feel of older generation sports cars. Also, it looks good too. I think the Toyota version looks better this time around but I have to say at least for now (until the image gets ruined with obscenely modded examples) its a very clean design with no fuss or gimmicks inside and out. Really the only thing that rivals this at its price point is once again the Miata, but this will of course reach a much wider audience due to its greater practicality and space.

Its gonna be a sad day when cars like this go away.

Attachment 2794937
Nice! This new gen definitely looks much better and by all accounts is an improvement Iíve the last gen. Very much a dying breed which is a shame. Itís a pipe dream but a low powered, lightweight BMW competitor to this would sell like hot cakes. Heck even a reverse Supra scenario where Toyota licenses and builds the 86 for BMW would be acceptable IMO!

Also thank you for bringing us back to our regularly scheduled programming
stein_325i18262.00