Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
fteixeira
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible - BSM

Front Camera wiring: where to route wires thru firewall?

2016 M4.

Online DIY videos shows the underhood-to-interior wiring routed on the driver's side thru a rubber grommet that already has a harness thru it. Tough to see it from the engine bay (need to remove the corner cowl cover). Need to remove the driver's side under dash cover drop the airbag. Videos are for an F30, but I believe the F82 is similar.

Are there options thru the passenger side that are more accessible? What are your experiences routing wires into the passenger compartment from the engine bay?

Any information on your experience will be helpful. Thanks!

I am installing a Carlink kit wireless carplay box that will be mounted on the left side of the center console. Wiring will include a front camera.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fteixeira View Post
2016 M4.

Online DIY videos shows the underhood-to-interior wiring routed on the driver's side thru a rubber grommet that already has a harness thru it. Tough to see it from the engine bay (need to remove the corner cowl cover). Need to remove the driver's side under dash cover drop the airbag. Videos are for an F30, but I believe the F82 is similar.

Are there options thru the passenger side that are more accessible? What are your experiences routing wires into the passenger compartment from the engine bay?

Any information on your experience will be helpful. Thanks!

I am installing a Carlink kit wireless carplay box that will be mounted on the left side of the center console. Wiring will include a front camera.
Check my post about installing a laser defense system. It includes pulling wires through the passenger side firewall (driver side is harder to reach) with some pics.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24138686
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:01 PM   #3
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Above your feet about a foot is a hole perfect for these, its also where you route teh JB4 can wiring. Pop that sucker out and good to go.
Appreciate 0