proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-16-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8

Shipping from out of state

Hi All,

Was looking to ship from out of state from a BMW dealership and the salesman said he would connect me with their preferred shipper and I would handle it from there. Other dealers have told me they would handle it and I just pay the shipping cost.

Can anyone chime in on whether their dealer handled it? Im a bit nervous having to deal with it as this is my first time.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
bp7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 6MT

I just dealt with this with a dealer shipping my car from Chicago to MA.

They provided me with their preferred shipper but I was reasonable for that cost. I instead decided to go with Intercity Lines as their reputation was far superior than what the dealer suggested.
Appreciate 1
Wanted_M756.00
      10-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #3
m4h2o
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82Tazmanian View Post
Hi All,

Was looking to ship from out of state from a BMW dealership and the salesman said he would connect me with their preferred shipper and I would handle it from there. Other dealers have told me they would handle it and I just pay the shipping cost.

Can anyone chime in on whether their dealer handled it? Im a bit nervous having to deal with it as this is my first time.

Thanks,
Nothing to be nervous iabout. If it's their preferred shipper than your good. All they need from you is payment and delivery address. Bmw will handle it while
It's getting picked up. Shippers have insurance so if anything happens to the car while
It's under their possession they will cover it.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #4
need2boost
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW m4 SO

I work at a dealership and we always handle the shipping arrangement whether we pay for shipping or the customer pays us for shipping. As a customer you shouldn't have to worry about arranging your own shipping from a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #5
E46M3forRay
Güdentyte
Rep
Drives: GT3 & 1M

Garage List
2023 Model 3  [6.50]
2022 T4R TRD Pro  [5.00]
2011 1M  [6.67]
2014 991.1 GT3  [10.00]
dealer should arrange the shipping regardless who's paying. Sounds like your salesman is lazy

SOLD - MB M2 CS | SMB F80 M3 CS | E90 M3 | E90 335i | E46 M3 Vert | E39 M5 | E34 525i
Appreciate 2
      10-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp7 View Post

They provided me with their preferred shipper but I was reasonable for that cost. I instead decided to go with Intercity Lines as their reputation was far superior than what the dealer suggested.
Thanks for you reply. How was Intercity Lines, have heard a lot of good things.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2boost View Post
I work at a dealership and we always handle the shipping arrangement whether we pay for shipping or the customer pays us for shipping. As a customer you shouldn't have to worry about arranging your own shipping from a dealer.
This is what I thought, he was the only dealer to tell me that would be between myself and the shipper. Wasn't too happy about that.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 12:31 PM   #8
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4h2o View Post
Nothing to be nervous iabout. If it's their preferred shipper than your good. All they need from you is payment and delivery address. Bmw will handle it while
It's getting picked up. Shippers have insurance so if anything happens to the car while
It's under their possession they will cover it.
He was telling me that I will have to handle it, not bmw. That's where I was skeptical. Almost as if he's saying once its sold, I dont care.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #9
bp7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 6MT

Quote:
They pick up tomorrow morning - so far communication has been stellar. The nice thing about them is you don't have to worry about which level your car goes on for enclosed transport:

- every car is covered in a cloth covering & plastic covering
- all flooring is solid with zero center gaps (i.e. if there were a fluid/ oil drip it would not drip down onto a car below) so even with spills that manage to drip off the platform, the coverings keep the car protected
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #10
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
They pick up tomorrow morning - so far communication has been stellar. The nice thing about them is you don't have to worry about which level your car goes on for enclosed transport:

- every car is covered in a cloth covering & plastic covering
- all flooring is solid with zero center gaps (i.e. if there were a fluid/ oil drip it would not drip down onto a car below) so even with spills that manage to drip off the platform, the coverings keep the car protected
Would you mind PMing me cost? Looks like you're grabbing an M4 like I am
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 07:48 AM   #11
Rooster23
Frayed Ends of Sanity
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Comp

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks,
My car came from Chicago, also to CT like you. Dealer had a shipper with a reasonable cost but I used my own broker, who is very good. Prices were within $50. Its Angels Moving Autos, ask for Dina. It was $1000 uncovered from Chicago to CT. Be wary of places that quote insanely low prices, your car will just sit there for weeks because its not economically viable for any shipper to take that deal. The price will eventually be bumped up to get the car picked up, and you're paying the same price as other, more reputable brokers quoted.

The only downside on Intercity is they are their own company, so lead times can sometimes be 2-3 weeks.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 07:34 AM   #12
jeepin29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1999 4Runner, 2022 X3M Comp

The dealer I bought from only offered open trailer, so I opted to arrange my own enclosed transport through Go2transportation and the process was painless.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:49 AM   #13
///MB ///M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:

I've used Intercity Lines (enclosed trailer) to ship my C7 Corvette. I would highly recommend them. They were EXTREMELY careful and had great customer service, also a very competitive rate. The only negative about the entire experience was that it snowed the day it was delivered which was all their fault.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #14
PKizzle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36 M3, X4 M40

If you are on the East Coast...reach out to Applewood Motorcars, based out of WV. They handle a lot of high end cars, and the owner is personally involved in the logistics. They own all their trucks and have only enclosed transport. I had an excellent experience getting my F80 shipped from a BMW dealer in Ohio to NC a couple of months back. The icing was that it was also a couple of hundred cheaper than other quotes I received for enclosed.

Btw, I had to arrange the transport myself. The dealer rep said it would be quicker and cheaper if I handled it myself. Not sure if that were really true, but I am glad I did some research and went with Applewood. The car arrived in mint condition.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #15
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MB ///M3 View Post
I've used Intercity Lines (enclosed trailer) to ship my C7 Corvette. I would highly recommend them. They were EXTREMELY careful and had great customer service, also a very competitive rate. The only negative about the entire experience was that it snowed the day it was delivered which was all their fault.
Wow very nice! Thank you for the insight
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 12:08 PM   #16
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKizzle View Post
If you are on the East Coast...reach out to Applewood Motorcars, based out of WV. They handle a lot of high end cars, and the owner is personally involved in the logistics. They own all their trucks and have only enclosed transport. I had an excellent experience getting my F80 shipped from a BMW dealer in Ohio to NC a couple of months back. The icing was that it was also a couple of hundred cheaper than other quotes I received for enclosed.

Btw, I had to arrange the transport myself. The dealer rep said it would be quicker and cheaper if I handled it myself. Not sure if that were really true, but I am glad I did some research and went with Applewood. The car arrived in mint condition.
Thank you for your insight. That makes me feel better that you were told the same from your rep. I guess it isnt the end of the world and he's super nice compared to the dozens of annoying salesman I have contacted recently.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 12:50 PM   #17
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks,
This close to purchasing a C63 from Scottsdale, they were picking up the cost in a closed container. Ask the dealership to at least split the charge, nothing to lose.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #18
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
This close to purchasing a C63 from Scottsdale, they were picking up the cost in a closed container. Ask the dealership to at least split the charge, nothing to lose.
Couldnt agree more, good point
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 12:44 PM   #19
seattle_slew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Imola M3 ZCP - SOLD

Purchased from Audi Chandler AZ and my salesperson arranged enclosed carrier shipping to Seattle with Gas Motorsports. Car arrived on-time and it was handled with care.

https://www.gasmotorsports.com/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      12-26-2021, 01:06 PM   #20
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

This is a very interesting thread, a lot of good info here. Question along the same lines. For all the people who bought their cars out of state, did you guys also go out to see the car before buying? Or did you have a company do any kind of PPI or other type of inspection on the car? Or was it just purchased the car just buy looking at the dealership's website?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 07:43 PM   #21
Phatferg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert, Audi Q7, BMW X5

Garage List
2020 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2020 M4 Vert  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkalhan View Post
This is a very interesting thread, a lot of good info here. Question along the same lines. For all the people who bought their cars out of state, did you guys also go out to see the car before buying? Or did you have a company do any kind of PPI or other type of inspection on the car? Or was it just purchased the car just buy looking at the dealership's website?
I just bought mine from the dealership… fingers crossed!!!
Appreciate 2
Ronin76695.00
spidy512491.50
      01-01-2022, 07:47 PM   #22
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatferg View Post
I just bought mine from the dealership… fingers crossed!!!
Good luck. Please post back here to let us know how it went.
Appreciate 0