Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #1
kev...
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

HK speaker upgrade...

Bimmer tech alpha one vs. bavsound with stock hk amp till the f80 m3 amp version becomes available.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
nirvanayoda
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

Bavsound makes a huge difference on the HK. The underseat woofers are the biggest improvement. I’ve also been told that Bavsound has an amp/DSP that will replace the HK amp coming out in Q1 2020, so if you go that route, you’d have a matched system. Of course that means waiting, and it always could be vaporware.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
kev...
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
Bavsound makes a huge difference on the HK. The underseat woofers are the biggest improvement. I've also been told that Bavsound has an amp/DSP that will replace the HK amp coming out in Q1 2020, so if you go that route, you'd have a matched system. Of course that means waiting, and it always could be vaporware.
Yea I know, I had the bavsound upgrade to the hk in my f15 on the stock hk amp.it a total difference once you hit the break in period, i was just curious about the bimmer tech alpha one.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 02:25 PM   #4
nirvanayoda
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev... View Post
Yea I know, I had the bavsound upgrade to the hk in my f15 on the stock hk amp.it a total difference once you hit the break in period, i was just curious about the bimmer tech alpha one.
It’s a relatively new product. I did a lot of searches and found more info on the F32 forum than this one. That said, no one has done a direct comparison in the same vehicle model (one guy compared Alpha One in his F32 to Bavsound in an older car but I didn’t consider that a fair comparison).

The bottom line is that they’re both “direct to consumer” models at about the same price point and thus are probably similar in quality. They both use non-paper materials, except that Alpha One uses paper on their underseat woofers whereas Bavsound does not. Bimmertech has posted in these threads saying that they went with the paper because it sounded better in the test models, which may be true.

One other factor is that Bavsound allegedly has the upgrade amp coming out in 6 months. I’m not sure whether or not Bimmertech does. The Bavsound amp will have DSP settings for stock speakers and Bavsound speakers. That may be reason to pick Bavsound if the amp is something that you will go for, but keep in mind that it could end up being vaporware.

I do not work for either company or have inside information. The information above may be incorrect — I’m simply relying on what others have said.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
Arcades
Lup's Kid
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 18' Grigio Medio F80

Garage List
I would like to know this also.

I decided against this only because meddling with the equalizers helped me enough on the HK in my 18 that I didn't see 100% necessity for it. The other part was, my OCD didn't really allow people to tear up my interior to do all of this to begin with.

Would like to know though. Started a thread to ask few months back, even when I had my 15 M4. Got... absolutely no where, everyone has their own opinion on the matter and especially sound is subjective it's hard to get a direct answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
You're making babies for me!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #6
nirvanayoda
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
I would like to know this also.

I decided against this only because meddling with the equalizers helped me enough on the HK in my 18 that I didn't see 100% necessity for it. The other part was, my OCD didn't really allow people to tear up my interior to do all of this to begin with.

Would like to know though. Started a thread to ask few months back, even when I had my 15 M4. Got... absolutely no where, everyone has their own opinion on the matter and especially sound is subjective it's hard to get a direct answer.
I think that the difficulty and cost of the DSP/amp upgrade and the general ďok-nessĒ of the system has severely limited the number of people who are willing to upgrade. When searching, itís helpful to also check the F30/F32 forums.

Iím still thinking about it, but honestly itís probably too much money without the guarantee of expected improvement. For me, it probably depends on if there really is a plug and play amp solution coming.
Appreciate 0