proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Aim Solo Hardmount?

Anyone have good options for hard mounting an Aim Solo 2 in an M2/M3/M4 street car? I don't have a roll cage and I'm not looking to drill holes into the dash, so maybe a mirror mount?

I was black flagged this weekend because I used a Ram windshield suction cup with a tether to the mirror. Really frustrating. Evidently, BMWCCA has a new insurance policy that doesn't allow suction cup style mounts - even with a tether. I imagine some chapters will enforce the rule more than others.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Stick up Go Pro mount and clip this to it.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-GOP2-A-GOP1U
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I’ve seen custom mounts in place of the air vent in center dash
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

proclip - and i used 3m to stick the backing plate to the clip...pulled on it real hard, not going anywhere.

https://www.proclipusa.com/category/...shboard-mounts
      04-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #5
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

i also shaved some grooves so that the backing plate can sit flush
      04-17-2019, 09:55 PM   #6
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post

proclip - and i used 3m to stick the backing plate to the clip...pulled on it real hard, not going anywhere.

Looks really clean, nice job.

Proclip was actually recommended to me by a fellow track rat and I've been keeping it in the running as a potential solution. I checked out the website and from what I can gather, it just fits into the existing gap between the plastic dash panels like a spring.

If you don't mind, a few questions: Is it easily removable, and 2. Is it sturdy enough to qualify as a hard mount, and 3. over time, does it leave any damage or make the panel gaps bigger where it was attached?

Thanks for posting.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 04:11 PM   #7
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
Quote:

Looks really clean, nice job.

Proclip was actually recommended to me by a fellow track rat and I've been keeping it in the running as a potential solution. I checked out the website and from what I can gather, it just fits into the existing gap between the plastic dash panels like a spring.

If you don't mind, a few questions: Is it easily removable, and 2. Is it sturdy enough to qualify as a hard mount, and 3. over time, does it leave any damage or make the panel gaps bigger where it was attached?

Thanks for posting.
Those were things I was concerned about as well.

It grabs behind the panels so you have to slightly pry so no marring in that sense. It's cut to shape to the rear of the panel so it locks in nicely.

I tugged on it a few times really hard and it came off but I realized it wasn't properly seated behind the panel. Once I got that corrected it doesn't budge.

There is also an adhesive strip that would be sandwiched by the top of the clip to the top portion of the dash. I took it off so it wouldn't damage or leave residue on my panel since it's cf leather. I have an Alcantara piece being put in so I won't use it on that either. If you have a gloss piece (cf trim or aluminum or anything else) I'm pretty sure it'll be safe to use the adhesive to keep it in place even more. It's not coming off unless maybe, just maybe in a big impact/crash but with the sticky back it should stay put.

As far as the magnetic backing plate and the guides for the solo to click into, that thing isn't moving. It's sort of a pain to remove lol

I'd say go for it. I wanted a clean and sturdy solution that is reversible vs the suction cup mounts and it's great. The other solutions I've found are someone basically making a custom bracket to do essentially the same thing.
      04-18-2019, 04:37 PM   #8
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Those were things I was concerned about as well.

It grabs behind the panels so you have to slightly pry so no marring in that sense. It's cut to shape to the rear of the panel so it locks in nicely.

I tugged on it a few times really hard and it came off but I realized it wasn't properly seated behind the panel. Once I got that corrected it doesn't budge.

There is also an adhesive strip that would be sandwiched by the top of the clip to the top portion of the dash. I took it off so it wouldn't damage or leave residue on my panel since it's cf leather. I have an Alcantara piece being put in so I won't use it on that either. If you have a gloss piece (cf trim or aluminum or anything else) I'm pretty sure it'll be safe to use the adhesive to keep it in place even more. It's not coming off unless maybe, just maybe in a big impact/crash but with the sticky back it should stay put.

As far as the magnetic backing plate and the guides for the solo to click into, that thing isn't moving. It's sort of a pain to remove lol

I'd say go for it. I wanted a clean and sturdy solution that is reversible vs the suction cup mounts and it's great. The other solutions I've found are someone basically making a custom bracket to do essentially the same thing.

Great, thanks for all the info. I think it's the best option, so just ordered one.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #9
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep

Here it is in action. Works great, I'd recommend.

I didn't utilize the double sided tape so that I can put in for track days and take off afterwards. Easy to setup and leaves no marks on the dash after taking off. It does slide around a little but that's no big deal for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #10
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
My solution -

iOttie - iTap 2 Magnetic Dash & Windshield Mount

Doesn't move at all. Discrete, strong magnets hold the Solo steel plate super solidly, and easily removed.

Been running it on the track and street.
Attached Images

11-01-2019, 09:11 AM   #11
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

That's pretty slick ^
Appreciate 0