proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

11-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
pablowbr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Rear-ended

So... I got rear ended today and was wondering if you guys think the damage is reparable. Most of the damage is the rear bumper (which held up much better than I thought it would). Does this look like something that can be resprayed or fixed? Or do I need a new bumper? Also, would you guys recommend going through insurance for this? I'm under 22 so my insurance is already ridiculously high...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #2
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

not sure of your state laws but no chance in hell a rear end would affect ur insurance its not fault.

i would absoluetly go through insurance a new bumper cover plus paint will get you 1500 dollars. anything is repairable; but the bumper cover alone is 1k which is a nice payout from insurance.

probably going to have to eat the diffuser damage but find one on ebay.

i collected 1.7k from insurance left the damage there. most of that can be buffed out
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #3
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

NC is not a "no fault" state. Call your insurance and give them the details of the driver that hit you. They will find them at fault and repair your car for free. Your premium will not go up.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #4
pablowbr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well I'm more concerned for the resale value taking a hit because the accident will be reported on CarFax
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablowbr View Post
Well I'm more concerned for the resale value taking a hit because the accident will be reported on CarFax
no police report- no carfax

regardless man unless you trading the resale hit isn't going to be that bad. these aren't lambos and rarris.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 09:08 PM   #6
pablowbr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post

regardless man unless you trading the resale hit isn't going to be that bad. these aren't lambos and rarris.
you right, gonna go through insurance. thanks for the help man
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #7
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

Quote:
not sure of your state laws but no chance in hell a rear end would affect ur insurance its not fault.

i would absoluetly go through insurance a new bumper cover plus paint will get you 1500 dollars. anything is repairable; but the bumper cover alone is 1k which is a nice payout from insurance.

i collected 1.7k from insurance left the damage there. most of that can be buffed out
As stated, new bumper and paint. Its toast.
Not as stated, hardly any of that will buff out. its dented, missing paint, impressions, deep scuffs...only thing that will remove is transfer, and he actually has very minimal of that. (or were you talking about your car?)
Not as stated, diffusor will be covered as well.
Exhaust tips will be replaced.

Perfect time to get pricing on the exhaust tip, then find black ones and replace, get pricing on new painted reflectors (or have the bodyshop spray your current ones even better for a perfect match to the bumper) if you wanted to go that route
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 06:32 PM   #8
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
Not as stated, hardly any of that will buff out. its dented, missing paint, impressions, deep scuffs...only thing that will remove is transfer, and he actually has very minimal of that. (or were you talking about your car?)

Perfect time to get pricing on the exhaust tip, then find black ones and replace, get pricing on new painted reflectors (or have the bodyshop spray your current ones even better for a perfect match to the bumper) if you wanted to go that route
yeah his is dented sorely. mine has a nice crease in it but I just let it be. also a licence plate hole.

interesting that insurance would cover the cost of an aftermarket diffuser. maybe back to stock?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #9
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
totally not true.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #10
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
totally not true.
how is carfax going to find out. probably only a total loss is reported. theres cars probably with half the rear end repaired and no carfax; but i guess some repair shops could report to carfax so my statement is a bit too exteme. carfax is a good starting point; but will never tell the whole story on both sides. my sisters engine got rebuilt after a piston blew. carfax is clean... so take carfaxes with a grain of salt.

a good car buyer knows accidents don't tell the whole story; but a dealer will hang it over your head.

just get your money now. trying to speculate down the road is foolish.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #11
pablowbr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
Quote:

Diffuser and tips are aftermarket and not reported to insurance. Don't think they'd be covered
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #12
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Quote:
how is carfax going to find out. probably only a total loss is reported. theres cars probably with half the rear end repaired and no carfax; but i guess some repair shops could report to carfax so my statement is a bit too exteme. carfax is a good starting point; but will never tell the whole story on both sides. my sisters engine got rebuilt after a piston blew. carfax is clean... so take carfaxes with a grain of salt.

a good car buyer knows accidents don't tell the whole story; but a dealer will hang it over your head.

just get your money now. trying to speculate down the road is foolish.
Had a previous accident not reported to police but repairs still showed up on Carfax. It's a $7K threshold I think and they report.
Appreciate 0