GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

11-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #67
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm confused. I just got my car a couple days ago and tested out my Auto Highbeams. It was turning off when a car was in sight and turning back on when really dark like it's supposed to do?

What are we coding here? I'll be coding my car hopefully tomorrow, other things as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #68
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Anyone else already coded notice low beams moving right and left when going straight as cars approach? I notice this often when pulling up behind cars at a light. The lights go back to the left a bit but when we get moving again the go right a bit ad oncoming traffic is approaching. Just starting to notice this more with the time change as it's dark on the way home from work.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #69
batchelorc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deez nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115 View Post
Anyone else already coded notice low beams moving right and left when going straight as cars approach? I notice this often when pulling up behind cars at a light. The lights go back to the left a bit but when we get moving again the go right a bit ad oncoming traffic is approaching. Just starting to notice this more with the time change as it's dark on the way home from work.
I think it's just changing the light profile based on your speed. The threshold seems to be about 25mph.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #70
Andrew115
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchelorc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115 View Post
I think it's just changing the light profile based on your speed. The threshold seems to be about 25mph.
I'll try to video it. It sure is moving a lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #71
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by batchelorc View Post
this is correct. The VLD is what is causing it to move around. It adjusts the level and direction based on speed.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #72
Audioguy
Private
Rep
Drives: M4|5|6

A general FYI for those of you which have coding VLD and Anti Dazzle. The camera will need to be recalibrated in order for Anit Dazzle to work property. I was having similar issues of blinding traffic, and irratic operation of the system. Once the camera was recalibrated the system started working as described. The procedure is easily done using the coding computer which turned the feature on. Hope this helps some of you.

-Audio
2002 M5 Blue Water | Silverstone
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #73
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguy View Post
A general FYI for those of you which have coding VLD and Anti Dazzle. The camera will need to be recalibrated in order for Anit Dazzle to work property. I was having similar issues of blinding traffic, and irratic operation of the system. Once the camera was recalibrated the system started working as described. The procedure is easily done using the coding computer which turned the feature on. Hope this helps some of you.
-Audio
I don't remember seeing anything like this in any of the ESys tutorials I've read?
Is there any chance you could take a screenshot or describe the menu options needed for doing this camera recalibration?

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 09:54 PM   #74
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
I don't remember seeing anything like this in any of the ESys tutorials I've read?
Is there any chance you could take a screenshot or describe the menu options needed for doing this camera recalibration?

Thx.
+1. I've done tons of coding and haven't seen any data on calibrating anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #75
Andrew115
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar
Quote:
-Audio

Thx.
More feedback would be great. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 03:16 AM   #76
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:

-Audio
This is helpful... Except there isn't an obvious provision for recalibration. How do you do it?

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #77
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw
Quote:

-Audio
This is helpful... Except there isn't an obvious provision for recalibration. How do you do it?
Yes please fill us in. I have noticed the lights are a bit spastic.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #78
Audioguy
Private
Rep

Sorry for the delay... Here are the specifics on recalibrating the camera:

This was done with ISTA/D Rheingold...(not sure if its possible with E-SYS). Below is an excerpt from a relevant TSB referencing recalibration of the KAFAS Camera:

1. Perform a vehicle test using ISTA/D 2.18.0 or higher.
2. Reset the calibration and coding data in the KAFAS control unit, using the following path:
* Select the Function Structure tab.
* Select "Body" for Level 1.
* Select "Display and Information Functions" for Level 2.
* Select "Fault Pattern" Level 3.
* Select "Fault Pattern 2: KAFAS" Level 4.
* Select "Display" for the test plan "AW6650_WAS2 lane departure warning: malfunction".
* Select any one of the complaints listed, and select "Continue".
* Run through the test plan to completion in order to reset the KAFAS data.
3. Program the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.36.0 or later.
Note that ISTA/P will automatically reprogram and code all programmable control modules that do not have the
latest software.

-Audio
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #79
NegativeIons
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Audioguy,
Do you know if the ISTA/P portion is required or just the ISTA/D portion? You only mentioned ISTA/D in your initial sentence.

Incoming: '18 M3 ZCP 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 12:11 AM   #80
Audioguy
Private
Rep

The excerpt is just a go-by. ISTA/D is sufficient.

-Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeIons View Post
Audioguy,
Do you know if the ISTA/P portion is required or just the ISTA/D portion? You only mentioned ISTA/D in your initial sentence.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #81
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB_M4_j2 View Post
If i remember correctly when you only have HBA and do not have Drivers Asst you get the FLA module and not KAFAS2. You dont need that in order to Active the antidazzle and VLD though. The FDL Coding portion of that just changes the speed at which it activates/deactivates. To turn it on in the original "BMW Design" you only need to VO Code.
Sorry for the noob question but just wanted to clarify~~

My F80 M3 is optioned with LED's but not driver assist. When following the steps to VO code, I did not see KAFAS2 as an ECU option to code like i did with FEM_BODY.

Not sure if this matters but I am using E-sys 3.27.1 premium

Out of frustration I gave up and moved onto trying to code auto fold side mirrors and then I saw my worst nightmare... an error:barf

My steps to get to this error message ~
E-sys>expert mode> coding> read>read VCM on the right>Right click CAFD_0000000F_005_019_005> Read coding data
Then saw the error message on the Report "File for "cafd_ffffffff-255_255_255" not found! [C012]

Visually the step I was at~

how do you print screen

This is what happened to me~

upload an image

So my questions are, what does this error mean?

How should I fix this? Is my best bet trying to get back to default settings before my mistake?

Lastly, could someone confirm that I dont have to VO code "KAFAS2" (again my car is optioned with LEDs but no driver assist)

Thank you again for taking the time to look over this, I really appreciate it

Last edited by Donger Kim; 12-10-2015 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #82
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger Kim View Post
...Out of frustration I gave up and moved onto trying to code auto fold side mirrors and then I saw my worst nightmare... an error:barf

My steps to get to this error message ~
E-sys>expert mode> coding> read>read VCM on the right>Right click CAFD_0000000F_005_019_005> Read coding data
Then saw the error message on the Report "File for "cafd_ffffffff-255_255_255" not found! [C012]
You have corrupted the ECU CAFD. You must now inject new CAFD into ECU and VO Code it to fix it.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 10:00 PM   #83
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You have corrupted the ECU CAFD. You must now inject new CAFD into ECU and VO Code it to fix it.
Got it fixed by stumbling onto one of your older post. I am guilty for not searching for this fix :/. I was just in ultra panic mode.

Last edited by Donger Kim; 12-11-2015 at 02:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 09:28 AM   #84
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Good thread resurrection: a nice reminder of how much confusion there was initially (and apparently there is still) regarding how to enable no-glare high beam

Last edited by dmnc02; 12-11-2015 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 06:05 AM   #85
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep

I finally got it to work! I can't believe I just stumbled onto the E-Sys cheat codes just now. This topic specifically was really hard to find the most current procedure for how much old information I had to shuffle through.

I took a test drive last night and I can't help but think I am blinding people... I can clearly see my high beams on the highway signs above the car I am following, I see my headlights beaming the bumper but I am not 100% I am blinding the driver.

At some point when I switched it on again, i 100% blind the person directly in front of me. I for some reason didn't think the high beam would come on at all.

I wonder if I did it incorrectly
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 07:35 AM   #86
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger Kim View Post
I finally got it to work! I can't believe I just stumbled onto the E-Sys cheat codes just now. This topic specifically was really hard to find the most current procedure for how much old information I had to shuffle through.

I took a test drive last night and I can't help but think I am blinding people... I can clearly see my high beams on the highway signs above the car I am following, I see my headlights beaming the bumper but I am not 100% I am blinding the driver.

At some point when I switched it on again, i 100% blind the person directly in front of me. I for some reason didn't think the high beam would come on at all.

I wonder if I did it incorrectly
I think it would have been easier to find the right info if you had looked at the more recent thread on this, rather than resurrecting an old one.

In any case, I just made another post to further clarify how to use the CheatCodes too enable No-Glare High Beam: see if it is clear now.
      12-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #87
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
I think it would have been easier to find the right info if you had looked at the more recent thread on this, rather than resurrecting an old one.

In any case, I just made another post to further clarify how to use the CheatCodes too enable No-Glare High Beam: see if it is clear now.
Thanks for the reply. After successfully coding out the legal disclaimer, I thought it would be smooth sailing, so decided to tackle EURO MDM first, which was one of two codes that I really wanted to do (other one being adaptive high beams).

I vaguely remember reading about a "version 2" or a possible "version 3" variation that improved on EURO MDM so I was trying to be cautious and get the right code the first time. At first I started reading the thread backwards, and realized I wasnt fully undertanding what was going on, so I started reading from post #1. It got tedious enough where I didnt quite read the very "middle" of these gigantic threads in the making which so happened to be about 4/5th of the way through. I just missed the cheat codes lol

There is so much good information out there about major F10.F30,F80 coding that are all very similar/same but at some point it got very overwhelming. I still really enjoy trying to learn and figure this out myself. I am in no way qualified to do this and knew this would be a trail and error thing (Although I am much more of a follow the directions kind've guy).

I've recently took some time off of work so I have nothing better to do. If I was really busy I wouldn't mind paying someone to do this but I thought it would be fun to learn this cool stuff.

~Just want to thank this community again for paving the way
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 11:24 PM   #88
mossman1120
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Have people had luck doing this on a MY16 M4 with LED Lighting, Driver Assistant Plus, and Executive packages? I have been reading mixed results.
Appreciate 0