GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #23
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

I just saw a brand new left over 18 with an ~85k sticker (Ceramics and Sparco Seats) sell for ~59k. There are some serious deals to be had. I love the Giulia QV and at those prices it’s hard not to want to buy one.

Last edited by Funf6cyl; 09-01-2019 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #24
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
I don't think the reliability issues are really there aside from early 2017 cars. I know a few who have owned the Giulia QV and put 10-20k of worry free miles on them. A new QV for 55-60k is a steal for what is arguably the best car in the class.
I'm not so sure of this. One dealership on Cars.com (Van Horn?) has a bunch all 2017 and 2018s in the 40s with low miles.

As others have noted new ones are now getting price slashes too. Great engine, great handling, great steering, in an ok wrapper, but if they don't correct the reputation, they won't sell.

Edit: If I didn't truly daily my F80 (15-17k a year), I'd be very tempted to take one at those prices but it would have to be have a warranty.
Appreciate 1
minn1914018.00
      09-02-2019, 09:41 PM   #25
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

I wonder what the future is for this car, the number of dealers keeps dwindling.. even in a large metropolitan area like Los Angeles/Orange County where I live.. a couple dealers have closed and consolidated with Maserati.
Add to the fact that the dealers are small time, not knowledgeable one bit and all over the place with their customer service approach, it's quite pitiful, such a shame.

I loved the giulia QV when I drove it, but in the end the dealership/service concern pushed me away from possibly buying it. We are a couple months away from the G80 M3 reveal and I'm 100% positive that this will be the nail in the coffin for this car (unfortunately). With AWD and the beastly S58, the Giulia won't stand a chance against the new 2020 M3.
Appreciate 2
minn1914018.00
      09-02-2019, 11:46 PM   #26
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

The fact that you even have to worry about deals being manufacturer lemon law buy backs speaks volumes.
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5471.00
      09-03-2019, 07:17 AM   #27
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
The fact that you even have to worry about deals being manufacturer lemon law buy backs speaks volumes.
Alfa is very accommodative to keep customers happy. When offered a buyback, most have chosen another Alfa instead of cash. However, some Alfa folks who had a Lemon Audi or BMW previously had to hire a lawyer to fight tooth and nail in those cases. Because of that, to say that AlfaÂ’s QC is bad is simply not true, despite uninformed opinions.

Most of the temporary warning light issues people have experienced have been caused by bad (German) Varta batteries. ThatÂ’s a supplier issue, not an Alfa-specific issue per se. I have one friend who had a defective (again, German) ZF-made rear diff and it was promptly replaced without any questions whatsoever. Is it AlfaÂ’s fault that ZF FÂ’d up in manufacturing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
I wonder what the future is for this car, the number of dealers keeps dwindling.. even in a large metropolitan area like Los Angeles/Orange County where I live.. a couple dealers have closed and consolidated with Maserati.
Add to the fact that the dealers are small time, not knowledgeable one bit and all over the place with their customer service approach, it's quite pitiful, such a shame.

I loved the giulia QV when I drove it, but in the end the dealership/service concern pushed me away from possibly buying it. We are a couple months away from the G80 M3 reveal and I'm 100% positive that this will be the nail in the coffin for this car (unfortunately). With AWD and the beastly S58, the Giulia won't stand a chance against the new 2020 M3.
DonÂ’t be so sure about that. Faster, newer, and more homogeneous looking is not always better when it come to road feel. Too many new cars are very fast, but are boring to look at and to drive, as they miss that X Factor that really connects you to the road.

Regarding the dwindling number of Alfa dealers, it does suck for some folks who now have a much longer ride to their nearest dealer, but oddly, people donÂ’t seem to think that is a huge issue with Porsche. In Massachusetts, we have nearly the same number of Alfa dealers as Porsche dealers, yet nobody complains about that. Again, it is all a matter of perspective. I live in a major metropolitan area with 3 dealers within 30 mins of me, with my closest one only 3 miles away, not that it even matters, as I have not had any unscheduled service visits in the last 30 months of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:42 AM   #28
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
There are used ones all over the place with a less than 5k miles in the low to mid 50s. Crazy, still don't want to do it though.
That's a really bad sign if lots of owners are willing to trade them back in after only 5k miles... imagine how bad of a situation that is when you have so many car mags raving about their "heart and soul" (which I don't dispute), yet the negative aspects of the car STILL make you want to unload it and take the depreciation hit despite the good attributes...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 06:06 PM   #29
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Sweet, another Alfa QV thread that can be easily summed up.

Great car, but a sales failure. My local dealer didn't even bother bringing in new 19s since they couldn't and still can't get rid of their 18s.

There are great deals to be had if you want new or used. But, buyer beware as support may be lacking as evidenced by dealers shutting down/lack of qualified mechanics/techs etc.

I'm glad I stayed with BMW for these reasons, but I wish Alfa would've made it as competition is good. But, if you can't sell them they aren't going to be around as no company is going to sink millions year after year in a sales loser no matter how good the product may be.

End all Alfa threads from here on out as this all that can really be said about them anymore.
Appreciate 4
dkhm31880.50
trey1001125.00
Powerslide1096.50
GERMAN M34181.00
      09-05-2019, 05:07 AM   #30
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Sweet, another Alfa QV thread that can be easily summed up.

Great car, but a sales failure. My local dealer didn't even bother bringing in new 19s since they couldn't and still can't get rid of their 18s.

There are great deals to be had if you want new or used. But, buyer beware as support may be lacking as evidenced by dealers shutting down/lack of qualified mechanics/techs etc.

I'm glad I stayed with BMW for these reasons, but I wish Alfa would've made it as competition is good. But, if you can't sell them they aren't going to be around as no company is going to sink millions year after year in a sales loser no matter how good the product may be.

End all Alfa threads from here on out as this all that can really be said about them anymore.
Those r the facts.
Lotsa lemons in the bunch.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 1
minn1914018.00
      09-05-2019, 06:27 AM   #31
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 07 911 TT

Quote:
But, that has been your problem in all of these threads. You want to preach, but not listen in return. I’ve also had multiple M cars and zero problems with them. I’m sorry you did and glad you haven’t with your Alfa. But, all of these reports can’t be wrong from multiple different press outlets and other personal stories.

As I said earlier it really doesn’t matter in the end how reliable they are or aren’t. Unfortunately the market in the US has spoken and they aren’t selling. Alfa is going to have to pull the plug soon. No company can sustain poor sales like that year after year and continue in a market if they want to survive.
Only reason I offloaded my f80 was to try something new off lease and the Giulia was dynamically a great car and i had a 2 local dealers (within 5 miles) who are decent. Now if i was in a state w one dealer (like most) i probably wouldn't have purchased the car. I think this falls in line w the sales as the limited dealer network (& trained technicians) are keeping people from buying the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #32
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
Only reason I offloaded my f80 was to try something new off lease and the Giulia was dynamically a great car and i had a 2 local dealers (within 5 miles) who are decent. Now if i was in a state w one dealer (like most) i probably wouldn't have purchased the car. I think this falls in line w the sales as the limited dealer network (& trained technicians) are keeping people from buying the car.
Lack of a manual option, poor lease rates and some goofy dealers aren't helping either. We have two dealers in MN near us and the one had a color combo I really liked. They wouldn't budge off of 5-6k IIRC when they were going for 14 ish off at the time. They also big timed a friend of mine a few months back telling him he needed to put a 5k deposit down before he could even test drive one. He is/was a known VW customer (special ordered perf pack GTI) from their same group on the lot. You would've thought they would have treated a previous customer that is interested in enthusiast type vehicles better than that. Things like that don't help at all.

Had they went to the 14k off on the car I liked, I very well may have done the same as you. But, everything added up, I passed and moved on (obviously).

I’m just sharing my two experiences. If they are trying to build a brand and a customer base this isn’t how to do it. I’ve heard many stories across the country on forums of similar dealings. They would’ve made 4K plus off of me compared to what they had to discount them to move them.

This was late August in MN and they should of been dealing as everyone here knows the driving season gets sketchy by November sometimes October here. They dug there heals in and sat on all of their Giulia QVs through the winter. They still can’t get rid of some of those 18s and we are heading into another winter. Myopic indeed.
Appreciate 1
trey1001125.00
      09-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #33
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
This was late August in MN and they should of been dealing as everyone here knows the driving season gets sketchy by November sometimes October here. They dug there heals in and sat on all of their Giulia QVs through the winter. They still can’t get rid of some of those 18s and we are heading into another winter. Myopic indeed.
I would think Minnesota is where you would expect dealers to work that much harder to sell less well known autos that are not common place as let’s say a corvette. That particular dealer seemed not to be interested in selling to many Alfa’s.
      09-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #34
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
I would think Minnesota is where you would expect dealers to work that much harder to sell less well known autos that are not common place as let’s say a corvette. That particular dealer seemed not to be interested in selling to many Alfa’s.
I forgot the other thing when I was talking to them about buying the car. They had a picture of a MT cover I think (maybe C&D) taped to the dealership door saying AR saved the sports sedan. They just kept pointing to that etc when I was asking service questions/loaners etc. It got really old quick.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 09:00 AM   #35
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Yeah, not a great prognosis. Will Italian made cars ever be as well made as German or Asian autos, likely not. But I think Alfa buyers understand what they have to give up to get what they do, the emotional drive. Something I think we’ve recently lost in the newest of M cars.

I hope they do survive and I’m guessing as a car enthusiast you do too. Like you I drove one and loved it, but unlike you my dealer gave me a great discount but in the end I bought what I knew would work well for years to come, likely as I said earlier dodging the proverbial bullet and as time passed based on reported user experiences I was proven correct with my selection, but boy I sure wanted that Alfa.

Here’s to the next Alfa being all it can be, too bad it’s likely going the way of the EV!
      09-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #36
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Yeah, not a great prognosis. Will Italian made cars ever be as well made as German or Asian autos, likely not. But I think Alfa buyers understand what they have to give up to get what they do, the emotional drive. Something I think we’ve recently lost in the newest of M cars.

I hope they do survive and I’m guessing as a car enthusiast you do too. Like you I drove one and loved it, but unlike you my dealer gave me a great discount but in the end I bought what I knew would work well for years to come, likely as I said earlier dodging the proverbial bullet and as time passed based on reported user experiences I was proven correct with my selection, but boy I sure wanted that Alfa.

Here’s to the next Alfa being all it can be, too bad it’s likely going the way of the EV!
Agreed, I really hope they do survive and someday are great competition to offset the other brands. But, sales figures being what they are it obviously isn't looking good.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 09:08 AM   #37
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 07 911 TT

Quote:
Lack of a manual option, poor lease rates and some goofy dealers aren't helping either. We have two dealers in MN near us and the one had a color combo I really liked. They wouldn't budge off of 5-6k IIRC when they were going for 14 ish off at the time. They also big timed a friend of mine a few months back telling him he needed to put a 5k deposit down before he could even test drive one. He is/was a known VW customer (special ordered perf pack GTI) from their same group on the lot. You would've thought they would have treated a previous customer that is interested in enthusiast type vehicles better than that. Things like that don't help at all.

Had they went to the 14k off on the car I liked, I very well may have done the same as you. But, everything added up, I passed and moved on (obviously).
I was fortunate the 2 dealers were willing to negotiate and drive any model i wanted (including the only 4c they had). If they were rude or not willing to let me test drive (the 19 c63s i wanted to test drive prior wanted my s/s number first!). If i had they same type treatment i would have walked as well.
Appreciate 1
minn1914018.00
      09-05-2019, 09:05 PM   #38
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I drove an Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio today. 2018 for $56k, 2k miles. Nice value.

Wow, what a riot in race mode. Gotta love the passion Italians engineer into their cars.

Alfa has raised the bar in this segment for driving experience, which should keep BMW on their toes. Glad somebody is there to push BMW other than Caddy which has been a sales dud.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS

Last edited by Damage Inc; 09-14-2019 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #39
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Tesla M3P

I was in the market for a fast SUV/SAV. My local (and only) Alfa dealer had two leftover Stelvio Quads. The one I was interested in was a gorgeous Pearl White with the CF Sparco seats. It MSRP'd at almost $92 grand.

They were giving me a killer trade in offer on my Audi and went as low as $64K for a brand new 2018 car stickering at almost $92K.

I made the deal at the end of the day Saturday and was supposed to come in Monday to pick it up. Thankfully our dealers are closed on Sundays so that gave me a full day to really dig deep and research some owner feedback on the AR forums.

What I discovered were horror stories. You can't take your Alfa to the automatic car wash (my only option come winter) as water gets into the car and throws off electronic censors, electronic problems galore, engine problems (new motors popping at 2k miles), rattling, moonroof leaking, and the list goes on and on and on.... There wasn't just like one definite issue that plagues certain cars (i.e. spun crankhub for the F8x cars) there were just random "one off" issues owners were reporting.

Dealership experiences were hit and miss. The car was amazing to drive, no doubt. However, living at the dealership, fear of my nearest dealer closing, the brand failing, horrible depreciation and being stuck in the car. I willingly dodged that shit like the Matrix, son I went back to BMW and got an X3MC and could not be more pleased.

RECENT PAST: 2016 F80 Austin Yellow (6MT) / 2017 F80 Atlantis Metallic (DCT-ZCP) / 2017 Challenger Hellcat 8A / 2017 Focus RS/ 2017 Shelby GT350 / 2018 Audi TTRS / 2018 Raptor Crew Cab / 2020 X3M Comp
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #40
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Every new platform has issues, but motoring journalism suffers the same issue as social media - sensationalism gets clicks and thus advertising revenue, and in case of reviewing Alfa’s, being woke to old Alfa stereotypes is easy click bait
lol. being woke-->clickbait

so true.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 08:23 AM   #41
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
I just saw a brand new left over 18 with an ~85k sticker (Ceramics and Sparco Seats) sell for ~59k. There are some serious deals to be had. I love the Giulia QV and at those prices it’s hard not to want to buy one.
After following this thread I bought an 18 black quad over the weekend for 56k. Too much car to pass up at that price. I have 2 dealers near me, so not a concern for me.

I'm either a genius for this purchase or a sucker. I'll report back in 6 months to update you all ha ha

I love M cars, but decided to change it up. I'll likely jump into the new M3 when released next year.

The car is an absolute blast for a daily. 4 door sports car with a compliant ride

I'm not going to get into an M3 comparison here since there are plenty of those threads.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS

Last edited by Damage Inc; 09-09-2019 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 2
minn1914018.00
mkoesel7508.50
      09-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #42
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
Resale really did tank. It is what it is. I will say this, I haven't had any issues in my 12k mile driving so far. I also can't believe that I've driven this car for 12k miles. I don't remember when I did that last. I usually move on around 3-6k miles.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 12:43 PM   #43
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
After following this thread I bought an 18 black quad over the weekend for 56k. Too much car to pass up at that price. I have 2 dealers near me, so not a concern for me.

I'm either a genius for this purchase or a sucker. I'll report back in 6 months to update you all ha ha

I love M cars, but decided to change it up. I'll likely jump into the new M3 when released next year.

The car is an absolute blast for a daily. 4 door sports car with a compliant ride

I'm not going to get into an M3 comparison here since there are plenty of those threads.
Congrats, at those prices I don't blame anyone for giving them a try. Was this a new one or used?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:06 PM   #44
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post

If it is new, I am not surprised one bit.

I told this to minn19 in a "private" sub thread, but the problem with Alfa Romeo never was the car itself. It is the simple fact that FCA did a horrendous job in trying to push the brand back into the States. In an attempt to save money and push the brand out faster, they not only damaged Maserati heavily, they also damaged Alfa Romeo by clumping them together. They did AR no favors also shoving them in with Fiat dealerships instead of making sure the brand is sold on it's own, based off their own merits with trained techs that know what they are doing.

I like Alfa Romeo, in fact my elder cousin bought the Giulia QV in New York after seeing my M3 (because he likes his Italian cars). Alfa keeps the German brands honest (aside from Porsche because Porsche does no wrong apparently). However, I just do not trust FCA one bit. With dealerships in LA... LA of all places, dwindle, I just don't see an easy turn around for the brand. Rusnak in Pasadena is about the only large dealership network that really supported the brand and months back, they closed their AR dealership in Pasadena. Granted, I know where Rusnak has stashed their entire Alfa Romeo cars, I am not sure if they are restarting their dealership for Alfa. With them gone, I won't give the brand a shot. I had heavily considered Giulia as a daily before Rusnak seemly pulled the plug.
minn1914018.00