Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

08-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #45
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London

suspension and steering rack apparently
You don't have to say but I'm interested in what happened eg speed? taking a 90 degree turn? roundabout? wet/dry? Don't answer if you prefer not to say.

I'm still keeping MDM off but wondering how much it takes to push it over.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 08:07 AM   #46
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
suspension and steering rack apparently
Hope you get it sorted ok. Theres us lot concerned about only a diff replacement!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 08:09 AM   #47
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDpetrol View Post
You don't have to say but I'm interested in what happened eg speed? taking a 90 degree turn? roundabout? wet/dry? Don't answer if you prefer not to say.

I think MDM would be fine if you had a very wide open space to play on for a bit. Unfortunately not too many of them around (apart from MacDonalds car park ....... but they are took up with chavs at night).

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #48
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

The very simple answer is this. If I was to turn off all of your systems, would you feel happy that were something to happen, you would have sufficient space (road and traffic) to deal with the consequences. If the answer is no, don't turn on MDM until you are confident with it. Also drive with MDM on in the same way you would with everything off rather than as you would with TC on. It really isn't as evil as people think BUT it can spit every now and then and you HAVE to be capable of dealing with it.

As and when you do use MDM, just gently push the car more and more so you can confidence and understand its foibles. Half the issue is having confidence and understanding how you must react. Exactly the same as building up confidence to turn DSC off altogether.

Said it before (and will continue saying it). Find somewhere off HM Highway to learn more about the car (airfield day or training). It's worth far more than any mod as you'll get so much more out of the car once you start to turn off nanny systems - there's a cracking chassis hidden under there.

I'm sorry you had this happen and as always, the main thing is that you are fine and that there was no-one else around who came to harm.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #49
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDpetrol View Post

It was a bend you can take a 50 quite comfortably with traction fully on, I know the road very well, it was dry and hot. the reason I had turned the MDM function on was because it doesn't cut the fuel lines when traction is lost while under hard acceleration. Enjoyed some nice sprints from lights etc.
However, coming off the main road I took 'the' bend at... I would guess somewhere between 40-50 mph, in a blur the back kicked out, I mounted the curb and just before I was about to hit some railings the car straightened, not sure if that was the traction kicking in or me correcting it?
this is the bend I took, not quite 90' but not far from it either.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
notused306.00
      08-18-2016, 11:12 AM   #50
billyali86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 - Yas Marina

Quote:
If memory serves me right I was hugging the curb relatively close
That might explain it bud, I always allow plenty of space for back end to move around a bit.

Hope you get it sorted
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #51
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Quote:
It was a bend you can take a 50 quite comfortably with traction fully on, I know the road very well, it was dry and hot. the reason I had turned the MDM function on was because it doesn't cut the fuel lines when traction is lost while under hard acceleration. Enjoyed some nice sprints from lights etc.
However, coming off the main road I took 'the' bend at... I would guess somewhere between 40-50 mph, in a blur the back kicked out, I mounted the curb and just before I was about to hit some railings the car straightened, not sure if that was the traction kicking in or me correcting it?
Hope you get it sorted quickly and sorry to hear about the damage, I'm no expert so can't offer any advice, I did attend an M Experience day so did manage to really push an M car with the TC off on the track and it's scary how easy it is to lose the back end on a corner, there's just so much power available in almost any gear. My previous steed (a 330D) I had no issues turning off the DSC but with these cars it's a whole different experience! Hope you're back on the road soon though.
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #52
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4springer View Post
Hope you get it sorted quickly and sorry to hear about the damage, I'm no expert so can't offer any advice, I did attend an M Experience day so did manage to really push an M car with the TC off on the track and it's scary how easy it is to lose the back end on a corner, there's just so much power available in almost any gear. My previous steed (a 330D) I had no issues turning off the DSC but with these cars it's a whole different experience! Hope you're back on the road soon though.
Cheers Man
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #53
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

@MB London, what's the latest on your car? Is it fixed yet and how much?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 01:14 AM   #54
Ashway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Vogue Westminster

Quote:
Speed limit on that section of road is 30MPH according to a quick google search and also complaints about cars speeding on that section of road going back as far as 2010.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #55
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashway View Post
Speed limit on that section of road is 30MPH according to a quick google search and also complaints about cars speeding on that section of road going back as far as 2010.
Yep not a road to hoon along at all.
      09-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #56
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

The poor MDM programming in the M3/4 is probably the biggest reason I made the jump to a GT350. I even put 275/295 size tires on to improve it (and the over all traction) and it would still intervene too much and too quickly IMO. This was in perfect conditions as well, which it doesn't sound like you guy get a lot of over there.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 03:12 AM   #57
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashway View Post
and let me guess, you have never been 20mph over the limit
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 03:19 AM   #58
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
@MB London, what's the latest on your car? Is it fixed yet and how much?
dopper99, funnily enough I am expecting the car back today. it was 3 weeks yesterday since the event, I was abroad for one of the weeks. However the communication between the insurers and BMW has been comical.

fingers crossed I will be in it tomorrow and as I have mentioned this is a very big lesson learnt. Even to the point where I will never have 2 pints and drive, I know its not related but this freaked me out and I'm sure I wouldn't be so lucky again.

thanks for asking.

MB

Last edited by MB London; 09-05-2016 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 1
dopper993531.00
      09-05-2016, 03:37 AM   #59
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
dopper99, funnily enough I am expecting the car back today. it was 3 weeks yesterday since the event, I was abroad for one of the weeks. However the communication between the insurers and BMW has been comical.

fingers crossed I will be in it tomorrow and as I have mentioned this is a very big lesson learnt. Even to the point where I will never have 2 pints and drive, I know its not related but this freaked me out and I'm sure I would be so lucky again.

thanks for asking.

MB
Unless you are referring to a non alcoholic drink or very weak beer 2 pints will put you over the limit, these days one pint will in most of Europe including Scotland. Two pints are enough to impact judgement and reactions so may well be a more likely cause than the MDM. Let's hope your insurance company doesn't follow this thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 03:49 AM   #60
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtco View Post
Unless you are referring to a non alcoholic drink or very weak beer 2 pints will put you over the limit, these days one pint will in most of Europe including Scotland. Two pints are enough to impact judgement and reactions so may well be a more likely cause than the MDM. Let's hope your insurance company doesn't follow this thread.
well the amount of alcohol to make one over the limit ranges considerably between individuals and for the record it was 10.00 in the morning when this particular incident happened and the only thing I had drunk was my morning coffee. so this was a result of mdm/my bad driving.

the point I am trying to make is that I am totally lucked out now and will not risk or take any chances going forward.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 04:15 AM   #61
noway-85
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - YMB delivered 1/3/16

Quote:
How long had you been driving the car that day?

I've been driving with MDM on for the past couple of months with no problems, throttle control was nailed (so I thought). But the other night I came off a roundabout too hard and back end stepped right out, managed to control it thankfully.

I couldn't understand why it did it, until I checked the tyre pressure and temps, 16 degrees all round. Cold tyres and a heavy foot is not the combo needed. Lesson learned for me.
Appreciate 1
notused306.00
      09-05-2016, 05:49 AM   #62
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

fingers crossed I will be in it tomorrow and as I have mentioned this is a very big lesson learnt. Even to the point where I will never have 2 pints and drive, I know its not related but this freaked me out and I'm sure I would be so lucky again.

thanks for asking.

MB
I hope it all comes back all good, I'm sure it will. Dont let it put you off the car, all 400bhp+ RWD cars without traction switched on will behave the same!!!

Just put it behind you and move on.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 07:30 AM   #63
jbtco
Captain
Rep

Quote:
well the amount of alcohol to make one over the limit ranges considerably between individuals and for the record it was 10.00 in the morning when this particular incident happened and the only thing I had drunk was my morning coffee. so this was a result of mdm/my bad driving.

the point I am trying to make is that I am totally lucked out now and will not risk or take any chances going forward.
I apologise I interpreted you post to mean that you had consumed 2 pints shortly before the incident.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #64
jbtco
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway-85 View Post
How long had you been driving the car that day?

I've been driving with MDM on for the past couple of months with no problems, throttle control was nailed (so I thought). But the other night I came off a roundabout too hard and back end stepped right out, managed to control it thankfully.

I couldn't understand why it did it, until I checked the tyre pressure and temps, 16 degrees all round. Cold tyres and a heavy foot is not the combo needed. Lesson learned for me.
Were you on the Pilot Super Sports, my experience is that they don't like the cold and damp even less.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #65
Ashway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Vogue Westminster

Quote:
and let me guess, you have never been 20mph over the limit
I haven't criticised your driving at all but my view is there is a time and place for spirited driving if thats the phrase.

Google street maps view shows slow markings painted on the road surface, shell grip surfacing too, that should be sufficient to alert you to the fact that wasn't the time or the place.

Glad nobody was hurt and your car is or shortly will be back with you good as new.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #66
noway-85
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - YMB delivered 1/3/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtco View Post
Were you on the Pilot Super Sports, my experience is that they don't like the cold and damp even less.
No, my car came with the Conti's... Think they'll need replacing soon too
Appreciate 0