ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

09-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #397
Kevlar
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Do we have a new consensus? My car just got updated which means I assume I'm back to the US MDM. That being said, I think it is better than the Euro MDM thus far. Do we have new settings for the new Euro MDM anywhere?
      10-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #398
banff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
Do we have a new consensus? My car just got updated which means I assume I'm back to the US MDM. That being said, I think it is better than the Euro MDM thus far. Do we have new settings for the new Euro MDM anywhere?
If coding from PSdZData 58.x/59.x, "C_Laenderkennung" is the only setting needed
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #399
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Is there any news on this topic? I'm about to code Euro MDM and would appreciate any updates or feedback on different methods discussed here.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 04:28 PM   #400
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Is there any news on this topic? I'm about to code Euro MDM and would appreciate any updates or feedback on different methods discussed here.
See post above yours.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #401
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
See post above yours.
I already read the whole thread twice. I'm just wondering if there is anyone still messing around with other parameters that may affect the MDM behavior. I guess consensus is still to change that one parameter.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #402
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
I already read the whole thread twice. I'm just wondering if there is anyone still messing around with other parameters that may affect the MDM behavior. I guess consensus is still to change that one parameter.
Ok, I am not anymore and left it with the single parameter change. I don't think there's many people toying with this as much as last year!
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4860.50
      01-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #403
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I haven't been following this thread in a while and just caught up with everything. I also just wanted to say thanks to everyone who have been contributing to this thread.

So just that I'm clear on something, the latest consensus is as follows:
  • Cars with 58.3 and after should only code C_Laenderkennung > ECE = 00
  • Cars with pre-58.3 should code
    - C_Laenderkennung > ECE = 00
    - C_AMR_2_c > wert_0 = 00
    - C_AMR_3_c > wert_0 = 00

Am I correct?

Secondly, if it was concluded that all the other variables affecting the RSC module and should not be altered for US vehicles, does that also mean for those still wanting to code the original "Euro2" should also just code C_Laenderkennung > ECE and NOT do the codings below:

CPrewarnEnable set to: enable=01
CPrewarnIgnition set to: enable=01
CalLrPDevMax set to: 50kpa=24
CPInitRangeMax set to: 80kpa=20
UiaSetLevelPc set to: 20%=14
UiwSetLevelPc set to: 15%=0F
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs

Last edited by BuLoOoSki; 01-08-2017 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #404
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
I haven't been following this thread in a while and just caught up with everything. I also just wanted to say thanks to everyone who have been contributing to this thread.

So just that I'm clear on something, the latest consensus is as follows:
  • Cars with 58.3 and after should only code C_Laenderkennung > ECE = 00
  • Cars with pre-58.3 should code
    - C_Laenderkennung > ECE = 00
    - C_AMR_2_c > wert_0 = 00
    - C_AMR_3_c > wert_0 = 00
Yes, only C_Laenderkennung should be changed to ECE. See this post.

Last edited by Almaretto; 01-10-2017 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2017, 04:45 AM   #405
terahertz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 AW

I did some experimenting today. I've had C_AMR_2_c and C_AMR_3_c set to the old values (werte 03 and 07) for quite some time now. I had noticed previously that it was much looser like this and I liked it.

Today, out of curiosity, I set both to werte=00, which is what the newer settings are. Instantly I could feel power getting cut on shifts. It also seems to pull power before the tires slipped, whereas before it would allow some slip then reel it in. (That last part could be in my head).

Note: my car is dct and I drive with MDM most of the time.

I set C_AMR_3_c back to 07, didn't notice a difference (I think this was because I was in MDM, not DSC OFF). Set it back to 00.

Set C_AMR_2_c back to 03, instantly noticed the power/torque limiting on WOT upshift was gone. Therefore, I think C_AMR_2 is for MDM, and C_AMR_3 is probably for DSC Off. C_AMR_1 would most likely be full DSC on, but it's always been werte=00 so I'm not sure what value would remove the limiting.

I noticed some 6MT people on the forum complaining of this "torque limiting". It could just be you have newer software with werte=00 all the things, probably 58.x and above. My suggestion is to try C_AMR_2_c = 03 and drive in MDM and see if it's gone. Then try C_AMR_3_c = 07 for DSC off. I would like some second opinions on this if anybody is up to it, just to make sure I'm not going crazy

Some hints at this are in this post: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=352

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
According to BMW, Antriebsmomentenregelung or Driving Torque Control
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
I'd think about it and plan accordingly before making any major changes.

- The werte values seem to have changed to 00 with the last two updates. Why?

- Driving Torque Control is a very vague term and used in many different components

- AMR also could be Axle Torque Control

- The codable values in this ecu just happen to fit perfect with the closed loop self tests and the changes are purely coincidental and in some instances actually detrimental?

Last edited by terahertz; 02-12-2017 at 05:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #406
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I finally coded my ZCP today for Euro MDM and I'm extremely disappointed. My software version is 58.3 and I only changed C_Laenderkennung from US to ECE as described here. Unfortunately, MDM became more restrictive for me. Before it used to allow little bit of slip in the corners but now it immediately intervenes. I coded it back to US for now. Maybe I should try different configurations mentioned in previous posts.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #407
packet.pilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: test mule

Quote:
I finally coded my ZCP today for Euro MDM and I'm extremely disappointed. My software version is 58.3 and I only changed C_Laenderkennung from US to ECE as described here. Unfortunately, MDM became more restrictive for me. Before it used to allow little bit of slip in the corners but now it immediately intervenes. I coded it back to US for now. Maybe I should try different configurations mentioned in previous posts.
For a ZCP, based on conversations with owners (you were the first!) about default ZCP behavior, my opinion is that Euro MDM coding is not necessary and may well throw off regarding optimization of DSC's logical adjacency to, and frequent communication with, the ICM module.

I always recommend ZCP DSC+ICIM over MDM modifications through FDL coding, as the former is the more integrated solution, and the latter, 'just a hack' (like me!). There are two flavors of Euro MDM in the FDL coding space but neither of them are ones I would recommend over the ZCP settings.

Just this past Saturday I learned this is not possible on cars without EDC aka VDC.

The more comprehensive way to being about euro MDM would involve VO coding DSC and ICM with a Euro'd FA via Typeschlüssel modification, retaining ZCP, but that is not tested and may result in unexpected units for tire pressure etc.

Nobody ever seems.to talk about ICM, and maybe that's the missing piece here in the FDL Coding talk.

...and yet another reason to hold integration paramount, keep logical adjacency in mind, etc...
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4860.50
      03-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #408
terahertz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Try the C_AMR settings I mentioned with ECE. Huge difference.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4860.50
      03-27-2017, 04:47 PM   #409
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by terahertz View Post
Quote:
Thank you! I saw your post but didn't try it since my software version is 58+. I'll give it a shot!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #410
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet.pilot View Post
For a ZCP, based on conversations with owners (you were the first!) about default ZCP behavior, my opinion is that Euro MDM coding is not necessary and may well throw off regarding optimization of DSC's logical adjacency to, and frequent communication with, the ICM module.

I always recommend ZCP DSC+ICIM over MDM modifications through FDL coding, as the former is the more integrated solution, and the latter, 'just a hack' (like me!). There are two flavors of Euro MDM in the FDL coding space but neither of them are ones I would recommend over the ZCP settings.

Just this past Saturday I learned this is not possible on cars without EDC aka VDC.

The more comprehensive way to being about euro MDM would involve VO coding DSC and ICM with a Euro'd FA via Typeschlüssel modification, retaining ZCP, but that is not tested and may result in unexpected units for tire pressure etc.

Nobody ever seems.to talk about ICM, and maybe that's the missing piece here in the FDL Coding talk.

...and yet another reason to hold integration paramount, keep logical adjacency in mind, etc...
This is actually the way I code my car for EU MDM and ZCP: I have a clone of my actual FA with Typeschlüssel set to 8M91 and 7MA+7MN options then load & activate this FA and VO code ICM, DSC and VDC

I've been using this method for over a year with predictable results.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1069.50
      03-28-2017, 06:23 PM   #411
packet.pilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: test mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
This is actually the way I code my car for EU MDM and ZCP: I have a clone of my actual FA with Typeschlüssel set to 8M91 and 7MA+7MN options then load & activate this FA and VO code ICM, DSC and VDC

I've been using this method for over a year with predictable results.
Method is legit, provided one takes care not to write modded FA back to the VCM, to minimize chance of ruffled feathers at dealership etc.

VO coding is the best cheat code, provided it's comprehensive and care is taken. Let the software do the work it was designed to do.

Sometimes it's a no-go though IME regarding broad-scope ECUs like FEM_Body...
Appreciate 2
ferrarif1320.00
Mr. Hankey1069.50
      03-31-2017, 01:10 AM   #412
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did some experimenting today. I've had C_AMR_2_c and C_AMR_3_c set to the old values (werte 03 and 07) for quite some time now. I had noticed previously that it was much looser like this and I liked it.

Today, out of curiosity, I set both to werte=00, which is what the newer settings are. Instantly I could feel power getting cut on shifts. It also seems to pull power before the tires slipped, whereas before it would allow some slip then reel it in. (That last part could be in my head).

Note: my car is dct and I drive with MDM most of the time.

I set C_AMR_3_c back to 07, didn't notice a difference (I think this was because I was in MDM, not DSC OFF). Set it back to 00.

Set C_AMR_2_c back to 03, instantly noticed the power/torque limiting on WOT upshift was gone. Therefore, I think C_AMR_2 is for MDM, and C_AMR_3 is probably for DSC Off. C_AMR_1 would most likely be full DSC on, but it's always been werte=00 so I'm not sure what value would remove the limiting.

I noticed some 6MT people on the forum complaining of this "torque limiting". It could just be you have newer software with werte=00 all the things, probably 58.x and above. My suggestion is to try C_AMR_2_c = 03 and drive in MDM and see if it's gone. Then try C_AMR_3_c = 07 for DSC off. I would like some second opinions on this if anybody is up to it, just to make sure I'm not going crazy

Some hints at this are in this post: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=352
Quote:
I tried your method today and changed the values of C_AMR_2 and C_AMR_3. Unfortunately, the result hasn't changed for me. Still zero slip at corners... I ended up VO coding my DSC to factory settings. Can't believe Euro MDM isn't working for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #413
terahertz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I tried your method today and changed the values of C_AMR_2 and C_AMR_3. Unfortunately, the result hasn't changed for me. Still zero slip at corners... I ended up VO coding my DSC to factory settings. Can't believe Euro MDM isn't working for me.
Hmm. I want to say the later firmwares did reduce the amount of slip allowed, but I can't say for sure because it was so long ago that I updated. The AMR only reduces the torque limiting on the shifts I think.

Maybe I'll go back and see if there's anything else that changed since then coding wise. It may have been a change in the firmware itself though, and if it is, we can't really change that.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 01:30 PM   #414
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmm. I want to say the later firmwares did reduce the amount of slip allowed, but I can't say for sure because it was so long ago that I updated. The AMR only reduces the torque limiting on the shifts I think.

Maybe I'll go back and see if there's anything else that changed since then coding wise. It may have been a change in the firmware itself though, and if it is, we can't really change that.
My software version is 58.3. I can understand reduced slip etc but I have literally zero slip no matter how much throttle I apply. DSC off seems to be the only option for me :/
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 02:22 PM   #415
terahertz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My software version is 58.3. I can understand reduced slip etc but I have literally zero slip no matter how much throttle I apply. DSC off seems to be the only option for me :/
I am also on 58.3. 57.x was looser. Looking back through the comments on this thread, when 58.3 came out people were saying things about 58.x being less loose. Someone said alex @ alpine said that track customers were asking to have their dsc module firmware reverted after being updated.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 03:14 PM   #416
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
...I am also on 58.3. 57.x was looser. Looking back through the comments on this thread, when 58.3 came out people were saying things about 58.x being less loose. Someone said alex @ alpine said that track customers were asking to have their dsc module firmware reverted after being updated.
True, and if someone want 57.x full, I have it (thanks to Almaretto ). I have never down flashed a software version, but apparently doable!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 03:19 PM   #417
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am also on 58.3. 57.x was looser. Looking back through the comments on this thread, when 58.3 came out people were saying things about 58.x being less loose. Someone said alex @ alpine said that track customers were asking to have their dsc module firmware reverted after being updated.
The problem is my US MDM (58.3) is less restrictive than this so-called Euro MDM (58.3), at least when taking corners.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 03:27 PM   #418
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
The problem is my US MDM (58.3) is less restrictive than this so-called Euro MDM (58.3), at least when taking corners.
Then forget about this EuroMDM... and enjoy your car
Appreciate 0