Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

10-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
itsTwigs
Vroomthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3/21 Toyota Tacoma OR

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2021 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
45k miles service required

So my SA tells me that I should prepare to dish out around $710 for a package that includes fuel cleaning, power steering fluid, and coolant? None covered under warranty and I can change my oil myself. Are these other things that don't show up on my CBS necessary? He knows I'm young but I'm trying not to be dumb. I know there's things that need to be done at 50k right away but 45k? Help me be wise bimmer family.
      10-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its.jamesharris View Post
So my SA tells me that I should prepare to dish out around $710 for a package that includes fuel cleaning, power steering fluid, and coolant? None covered under warranty and I can change my oil myself. Are these other things that don't show up on my CBS necessary? He knows I'm young but I'm trying not to be dumb. I know there's things that need to be done at 50k right away but 45k? Help me be wise bimmer family.
lol that's complete and utter BS, the best of which is power steering fluid (the F8x has electric steering).

Nothing to do at 45k miles but at 50k miles differential fluid is recommended on top of the usual oil service.
Appreciate 1
itsTwigs281.50
      10-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
mrkmtchll
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Edition Velocity

Quote:
I just paid $750 for an oil change, air filters and spark plugs. Looking at the bill they charged me 300 in parts and the rest was all labor. That's the last time I make that mistake. I'd do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #4
itsTwigs
Vroomthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3/21 Toyota Tacoma OR

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2021 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:
lol that's complete and utter BS, the best of which is power steering fluid (the F8x has electric steering).

Nothing to do at 45k miles but at 50k miles differential fluid is recommended on top of the usual oil service.
Thank you... I don't know why the electric steering didn't pop into my memory.
      10-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #5
Memphis17CPM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 CP M4

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [10.00]
Maybe I have a different set up but I do not pay for scheduled service to 100K miles. With exception of breaks over 80K.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #6
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-23-2021, 10:40 PM   #7
shaolinx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
Hi where did you find this service information? What about over 60k+ recommendation?

Edit: sorry for reviving old thread
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5362.00
      01-23-2021, 11:19 PM   #8
JayNovacane
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
Quote:
Hi where did you find this service information? What about over 60k+ recommendation?

Sub'd lol right behind ya for an answer
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5362.00
      01-25-2021, 03:40 AM   #9
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

that's a screenshot from my SA's laptop taken about three years ago.
you could extrapolate that schedule out beyond 60K miles by going back to the third year and starting over although personally i'd never leave the oil in that long and never have.
also, you ought to consider an appropriate interval for things labeled as "life-time fill" by BMW, bearing in mind that BMW defines "life-time fill" as the life-time of the component (your DCT for example) cooled/lubricated by the "life-time fill", ending when the component ceases to function due to failure to service it, at which point you must purchase a new component from BMW. the new component, however, will of course come with a new "life-time fill", so not to worry.

(stop watch on for hysterical comments claiming DCT never needs service because it's an "automatic".)
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #10
shaolinx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
you could extrapolate that schedule out beyond 60K miles by going back to the third year and starting over although personally i'd never leave the oil in that long and never have.
also, you ought to consider an appropriate interval for things labeled as "life-time fill" by BMW, bearing in mind that BMW defines "life-time fill" as the life-time of the component (your DCT for example) cooled/lubricated by the "life-time fill", ending when the component ceases to function due to failure to service it, at which point you must purchase a new component from BMW. the new component, however, will of course come with a new "life-time fill", so not to worry.

(stop watch on for hysterical comments claiming DCT never needs service because it's an "automatic".)
so when do you recommend for DCT transmission oil change? Sounds like its a bad idea to let the component fail due to never changing out the oil.
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5362.00
      01-25-2021, 09:56 PM   #11
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

It's less a money thing and more a trust thing. I don't have faith that a paid mechanic will do as good a job as I would on my own car.

When the time comes, I'm doing the spark plug change and dct oil and oil pan change myself and I am no wrench.

This is the best DIY I've come across. He's doing it at around 40K miles iirc.

01-27-2021, 10:28 AM   #12
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

so when do you recommend for DCT transmission oil change? Sounds like its a bad idea to let the component fail due to never changing out the oil.
lifted from another similar thread, here's a Blackstone report on a street driven DCT with initial change at 77.6K miles. please read the comments.
everything depends, as it always does, on how the car was driven and by whom, as well as all the variables such as climate and so forth. for example, my car has never been in LC nor will it be because I don't care about drag racing. if even some of the threads on here are to be believed, there will be plenty of DCTs that were in LC every other stoplight.
also, it appears that the findings in this Blackstone report are fairly typical for street driven DCTs.
so here's how I make the calculation: cost of a new DCT vs cost of servicing the DCT = no-brainer.
Bear in mind that most owners likely will only perform this service once during the period they own the car. The undeniable payoff, imo, will occur when you sell the car and are able to produce a Blackstone report like the one attached here. prospective buyer now knows how this car was probably treated (because you've kept receipts for everything else you did to the car) but just as importantly has good evidence that the seller is not a meatball.
so bottom line: my recommendation for DCT service interval would be 75K miles. if you track the car: 40K miles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-27-2021, 06:52 PM   #13
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wow
Appreciate 0