ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

01-27-2018, 01:10 AM   #23
Schuey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I've posted my thoughts on this thread in the previous posts buddy...good at the rear poor on the front.
Ok mate, I'm looking to swap out my rears with the MPS4S's and leave the MPSS upfront. Best of both worlds then
=======================
2020 BMW S1000RR Sport 207 bhp
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #24
breakfastlinks
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuey View Post
Ok mate, I'm looking to swap out my rears with the MPS4S's and leave the MPSS upfront. Best of both worlds then
Wouldn't do that if I were you.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #25
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastlinks View Post
Wouldn't do that if I were you.
Why?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #26
breakfastlinks
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Because there's so much more to tires than just traction...

The PS4S was also designed to give you feedback on control much earlier, at the point when stuff happens, than the PSS. Maybe that's why you've experienced perceived lesser traction at the front?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #27
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
IME the MPSS are poor on the rear of the car. The MP4S are far superior on the rear of the car.

Like Wills2 has said, MPSS seem good on the front and that's the reason I replaced the fronts with new MPSS and the rear with new MP4S.

The cars traction has transformed. It's the best combination in my opinion.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #28
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:

The PS4S was also designed to give you feedback on control much earlier, at the point when stuff happens, than the PSS. Maybe that's why you've experienced perceived lesser traction at the front?
Indeed there is and whilst it's only my opinion based my experience with the PS4S (and everyone should make their own minds up) the front end is vague, lacks bite on initial turn in, the side walls feel soft and bouncy they give me no confidence in the front end.

The tighter the bend the worse it is, compared to the star rated tyres designed for the front end of the car the PS4S in my experience are poor.

Hopefully they will produce a star rated version sooner rather than later as the rears are great in terms of grip.

BTW no one should take my views as anything other than my opinion, as I'm not Jason Plato.
      02-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #29
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I had these fitted to the rears last week..... very pleased indeed. Loads more grip and no downsides that I can tell (note: fitted to rears only).

Thoughts here....

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1467132

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 05:31 PM   #30
Schuey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
I had these fitted to the rears last week..... very pleased indeed. Loads more grip and no downsides that I can tell (note: fitted to rears only).

Thoughts here....

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1467132
Great feedback, I ordered a pair for the rears and they should be arriving tomorrow hopefully. Will get them fitted ASAP.

As you and a couple of others here, I'm keeping my MPSS upfront and putting these MPS4S's on the rear, even though I have plenty of meat left on my MPSS's on the rear.

The reports I've seen on the MPS4S has made me jump. Once I've had them fitted, I will also report back here. Thanks.
=======================
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #31
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Great feedback, I ordered a pair for the rears and they should be arriving tomorrow hopefully. Will get them fitted ASAP.

As you and a couple of others here, I'm keeping my MPSS upfront and putting these MPS4S's on the rear, even though I have plenty of meat left on my MPSS's on the rear.

The reports I've seen on the MPS4S has made me jump. Once I've had them fitted, I will also report back here. Thanks.
You wont regret getting these, so much better grip this time of the year. The more I drive with them over familiar roads where the MPSS are crap - the more I'm impressed.

I had 3.5 mm left on the rear MPSS so prob a good few thousand miles left on them ... but the TC light on all the time was pi55ing me off, so they had to go. No point in owning a car that you have to nanny for 4 months of the year.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:14 AM   #32
Schuey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You wont regret getting these, so much better grip this time of the year. The more I drive with them over familiar roads where the MPSS are crap - the more I'm impressed.

I had 3.5 mm left on the rear MPSS so prob a good few thousand miles left on them ... but the TC light on all the time was pi55ing me off, so they had to go. No point in owning a car that you have to nanny for 4 months of the year.
Spot on mate, exactly my thinking also.

Tyres arrived this morning, now to find a place that will fit them. So far I'm getting crap from people saying, "Sorry our company policy is we can only fit if we supply"

I wanted to take them to a reputable place near me and they not willing to fit them
=======================
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:26 AM   #33
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Tyres arrived this morning, now to find a place that will fit them. So far I'm getting crap from people saying, "Sorry our company policy is we can only fit if we supply"

I wanted to take them to a reputable place near me and they not willing to fit them
Most of the ATS Euromaster around my way will fit tyres they don't supply.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:46 AM   #34
AIRHEIR
X3M Comp
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
It's quieter, much better traction in the rain, and I don't know about differences in look because I have 265/285. Every way recommend the 4s over the pss. 1000km on it now.
This
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:59 AM   #35
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Mine were £527 from Blackcircles fitted (20's). And had a £12.50 tyre bank discount so £515. No idea how that compares to getting them supplied and finding fitting yourself. I cant be arsed with that.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 07:05 AM   #36
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Oh bollox, last week I paid £263.99 today they are £256.99 on Blackcircles

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:32 PM   #37
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:

Indeed there is and whilst it's only my opinion based my experience with the PS4S (and everyone should make their own minds up) the front end is vague, lacks bite on initial turn in, the side walls feel soft and bouncy they give me no confidence in the front end.

The tighter the bend the worse it is, compared to the star rated tyres designed for the front end of the car the PS4S in my experience are poor.

Hopefully they will produce a star rated version sooner rather than later as the rears are great in terms of grip.

BTW no one should take my views as anything other than my opinion, as I'm not Jason Plato.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm facing what seems to be similar issues after switching to PS4Ses on the front wheels. The rears are the original PSSes.

Ok straight and slightly curvy roads it's all good, but when driving around the more curvy backroads that I frequent the car just seems less planted, the turn-in isn't as sharp and the car seems to sway (front-back) where it used to point and just go in that direction. I have significantly less confidence when taking corners at speed now, and it's a real bummer.

I'm wondering if just switching the rears to PS4Ses will solve this issue, or if I should sell the front PS4Ses and switch to PSSes instead.

Would appreciate advice from those of us here who've faced similar issues and possibly tried various permutations
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 07:50 AM   #38
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkenc View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm facing what seems to be similar issues after switching to PS4Ses on the front wheels. The rears are the original PSSes.

Ok straight and slightly curvy roads it's all good, but when driving around the more curvy backroads that I frequent the car just seems less planted, the turn-in isn't as sharp and the car seems to sway (front-back) where it used to point and just go in that direction. I have significantly less confidence when taking corners at speed now, and it's a real bummer.

I'm wondering if just switching the rears to PS4Ses will solve this issue, or if I should sell the front PS4Ses and switch to PSSes instead.

Would appreciate advice from those of us here who've faced similar issues and possibly tried various permutations
I think you'll be having that 'feeling' because the PS4S's up front provide better traction & grip than you're currently getting from the PSS's at the back. You really need the PS4S's at the back, so you have an equal level of grip front & rear. IMO anyway...
      02-24-2021, 08:40 AM   #39
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
I've just gone PS4 all round from MPSS all round - tyres seem good to me although mileage is limited due to current restrictions.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:22 PM   #40
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
I think you'll be having that 'feeling' because the PS4S's up front provide better traction & grip than you're currently getting from the PSS's at the back. You really need the PS4S's at the back, so you have an equal level of grip front & rear. IMO anyway...
I did read a few comments on here about this, but didn't get the sense that it was a definitive answer. I do hope that this is what's causing the issue, because it'd be a simple fix + I get to enjoy the benefits of the PS4S. At this point, it doesn't seem like the positives outweigh the negatives because the car is just less fun to drive. Thanks for your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:24 PM   #41
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
I've just gone PS4 all round from MPSS all round - tyres seem good to me although mileage is limited due to current restrictions.
Have you pushed it around bends at speed? Do the turn-ins and directness feel the same, better, worse?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:58 PM   #42
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Have you pushed it around bends at speed? Do the turn-ins and directness feel the same, better, worse?
Sorry not really using it much at the moment - due to home working and lockdown.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:11 PM   #43
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry not really using it much at the moment - due to home working and lockdown.
All good, thanks anyway! If you do get the chance to push it, please let me know
Appreciate 0