proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

12-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
mikex25
Major
Rep
Drives: Grey thing

Remove scratch/scuff on door panels

I recently got a scratch/scuff on my door panel. It is the lower part next to the storage compartment. Do you have any solutions to remove this?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
mikex25
Major
Rep

Here it is
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:02 PM   #3
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

thats plastic so it may be difficult. i don't personally know of any plastic scratch fix techniques but there could be something available so i'd search around.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
mikex25
Major
Rep

To make it worse it's textured
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 12:02 AM   #5
cays
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Germans

I wouldn't try to color it first. If it were mine I'd apply a few coats of a low-gloss vinyl/interior dressing first, applied with a Q-tip. Let it dry throughly and if it looks promising apply another coat and dry it with a hair dryer. I wrap the head of the Q-tip with magic tape first to prevent it from spreading. If that doesn't do it you might consider taking it to a professional. I've seen some amazing repairs and this looks easy for a pro.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #6
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cays
I wouldn't try to color it first. If it were mine I'd apply a few coats of a low-gloss vinyl/interior dressing first, applied with a Q-tip. Let it dry throughly and if it looks promising apply another coat and dry it with a hair dryer. I wrap the head of the Q-tip with magic tape first to prevent it from spreading. If that doesn't do it you might consider taking it to a professional. I've seen some amazing repairs and this looks easy for a pro.
Thanks for the tip, it seems as if the top coating has peeled off
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Try this first, if it's a scuff Mark, 1z einszett plastic deep cleaner may help. Here is a review that shows its potency http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...p-cleaner.html

If part of the panel is gone, shaved or damaged, then your only hope is to mask it like suggested above.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 11:37 PM   #8
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
What brand of low glass interior dressing do you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #9
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad
Try this first, if it's a scuff Mark, 1z einszett plastic deep cleaner may help. Here is a review that shows its potency http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...p-cleaner.html

If part of the panel is gone, shaved or damaged, then your only hope is to mask it like suggested above.
I think it has shaved off I can see flakes of clear
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 04:07 AM   #10
cays
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Germans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikex25 View Post
I tried two low gloss products and kept the bottle of Armorall (I think it's "Natural Shine") although I see it's now been discontinued. But rethinking your problem and going to the Armorall website to see if that product was in the current lineup I saw this.

http://www.armorall.com/products/pro...ast-protectant

So now what I would do is:

- Find a low gloss protectant. Your average Pep Boys might stock one, or more like no low-gloss treatment which would necessitate an internet search and source. Whatever you end up with the key is how much blackness it brings back as you apply it. If after a few applications the color is deep enough then you're almost done and can proceed with the hair dryer approach for the final coat.

- If not take a flyer and buy the product above. I'm no big fan of Armorall products and I've never used this one before but it seems like there's a decent chance it'll be of use here and why try to reinvent the wheel for something like this? Apply it, let it sit no more than 30 secs and wipe it off with a dry cloth. If there's too much gloss then wet the cloth and wipe or rub it again. My guess is by this point you'll know whether a combination of products like this will lead to an acceptable result. If it looks decent then repeat the 30 secs treatment, or leave it longer, you're just trying to get the maximum absorption while controlling the sheen. Absorption = greater durability. Use a hair dryer on the final coat.

- I have a feeling restoring the surface to a true black hue might be problematic and this is where a pro could be the solution. They would probably spread a liquid product on and iron it with a grain-matching patch so you'd have a heat-cured permanent solution, but for $15 of reusable supplies it's well worth taking a shot at it with what I've outlined as a starting point.

I've just suggested a home-grown approach here and have dabbled in some low-level vinyl matching treatments out of necessity also but I hope others chime in too with suggestions. Good luck!

Last edited by cays; 12-12-2015 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 09:35 AM   #11
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikex25 View Post
I tried two low gloss products and kept the bottle of Armorall (I think it's "Natural Shine") although I see it's now been discontinued. But rethinking your problem and going to the Armorall website to see if that product was in the current lineup I saw this.

http://www.armorall.com/products/pro...ast-protectant

So now what I would do is:

- Find a low gloss protectant. Your average Pep Boys might stock one, or more like no low-gloss treatment which would necessitate an internet search and source. Whatever you end up with the key is how much blackness it brings back as you apply it. If after a few applications the color is deep enough then you're almost done and can proceed with the hair dryer approach for the final coat.

- If not take a flyer and buy the product above. I'm no big fan of Armorall products and I've never used this one before but it seems like there's a decent chance it'll be of use here and why try to reinvent the wheel for something like this? Apply it, let it sit no more than 30 secs and wipe it off with a dry cloth. If there's too much gloss then wet the cloth and wipe or rub it again. My guess is by this point you'll know whether a combination of products like this will lead to an acceptable result. If it looks decent then repeat the 30 secs treatment, or leave it longer, you're just trying to get the maximum absorption while controlling the sheen. Absorption = greater durability. Use a hair dryer on the final coat.

- I have a feeling restoring the surface to a true black hue might be problematic and this is where a pro could be the solution. They would probably spread a liquid product on and iron it with a grain-matching patch so you'd have a heat-cured permanent solution, but for $15 of reusable supplies it's well worth taking a shot at it with what I've outlined as a starting point.

I've just suggested a home-grown approach here and have dabbled in some low-level vinyl matching treatments out of necessity also but I hope others chime in too with suggestions. Good luck!
Thanks this has been extremely helpful
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #12
RWSM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Anyone have any other solutions they have tried for this? Lmk
      03-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #13
RWSM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

So I think I fixed my own issue. The door scuff appeared to have scratched the surface. I tried interior natural shine, it worked ok but after a few days the scuff would appear.

I tried shoe polish, that didn't work, the next day my door panel was shiny.

The solution, was flat black primer spray. I sprayed a bit on my finger on a glove and dabbed the area lightly and then rubbed it in. The white scratched area went away and blended in. So far so good!!

Hope this helps others!!!

Last edited by RWSM3; 03-06-2019 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
eRocks36.00