Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #67
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post
Neither...stay stock if warranty is a concern. I love my flash tune from Alex@Alpine ..but I regret tuning it. Not because of anything wrong with Alex or his tune..the car pulls like a freight train and has a very linear power band, but because I lost the piece of mind of having the warranty. It's not like the car is slow stock.

It's been beaten to death about how "rare" the spun crank hub issue is - but even at the TINY risk of it, I should have stayed stock since I really can't afford a multi tens of thousands of dollars repair at worst case scenario.
Staying fully stock is the way to go if you have warranty concerns. With that said I like to ease your concern a little.

My mission is to keep the tune as smooth as possible with the least amount of large jolts that could potentially put pressure on the crankhub & other components of the vehicle.

With hundreds and maybe thousands of cars being warrantied a day most just get approved and they move on to the next car. If you go in with aftermarket suspension, wheels, and other modifications on the vehicle you will stand out. The dealer/SA might tip off corporate, and corporate will look deeper into the vehicle.

The simple things to check are the software versions (btld & swfl,) flash counter, and flash date. Flash date, flash counter, and software versions are so simple to check that even some of you can check it at home with small effort (please do not ask me how.) If the tune does not have a flash counter bypass you will have your flash counter increased by at least 2, once when you flash the tune and another when you return to stock. With our tune even when you are tuned your second SWFL platform number does not change, if your car was previously on 260D it will stay on 260D, when you also return to stock you are returned to exactly the version you had before. To date I am only aware of our tune that covers all of the above.

If you have an actual warranty concern and are reverting back to stock I personally login check every single aspect myself, make sure all is in line with factory parameters, check faults, we have a small conversation about what modifications are on the vehicle and how the problem should be presented.
Appreciate 5
2 SLOW97.00
Ghosn463.50
Ibiza3599.00
      07-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #68
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

BM3 is the only other flash that I know that preserves the actual version of software as originally came on the car. Everyone else forces cars to some other random version of the file they send to everyone getting a tune from them. In fact there was a discussion just recently on this in the facebook group. If BM3 never came out I’d probably run the Alpine flash from Alex.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #69
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

Quote:

Staying fully stock is the way to go if you have warranty concerns. With that said I like to ease your concern a little.

My mission is to keep the tune as smooth as possible with the least amount of large jolts that could potentially put pressure on the crankhub & other components of the vehicle.

With hundreds and maybe thousands of cars being warrantied a day most just get approved and they move on to the next car. If you go in with aftermarket suspension, wheels, and other modifications on the vehicle you will stand out. The dealer/SA might tip off corporate, and corporate will look deeper into the vehicle.

The simple things to check are the software versions (btld & swfl,) flash counter, and flash date. Flash date, flash counter, and software versions are so simple to check that even some of you can check it at home with small effort (please do not ask me how.) If the tune does not have a flash counter bypass you will have your flash counter increased by at least 2, once when you flash the tune and another when you return to stock. With our tune even when you are tuned your second SWFL platform number does not change, if your car was previously on 260D it will stay on 260D, when you also return to stock you are returned to exactly the version you had before. To date I am only aware of our tune that covers all of the above.

If you have an actual warranty concern and are reverting back to stock I personally login check every single aspect myself, make sure all is in line with factory parameters, check faults, we have a small conversation about what modifications are on the vehicle and how the problem should be presented.
And this is why Alex is the man!!

Last edited by UGADawgFan; 07-20-2018 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0