GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #23
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msane View Post
Got it changed under warranty luckily had a good relationship with the service adviser as the whole part that was replaced was over 1k.
Lol it has to be 6MT then because the DCT one is real cheap

Really?

Nice to know a stick of metal is more expensive than a complete electronic control assembly somewhere out there....in a parallel universe.
He said the glass part was cracked. Really vague with his post since it doesn't describe the extent of the damage. But the plastic piece on the DCT shifter can be replaced on its own. My cousin and I disassembled the DCT shifter before to swap to the carbon fiber trim and that piece can be replaced on its own.

Something else must have been wrong if they replaced the entire assembly. He claimed it was only the small plastic piece in the middle of the shifter that was scratched.
Nice attempt.

Sure it can be replaced.

Except BMW does not sell the any of the stock OEM parts separately so a BMW Dealer replaces the whole assembly.

And with that in mind, the DCT Shifter cost 4x that of the manual, not the other way around.
Attached Images

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 07-18-2018 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #24
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Nice attempt.

Sure it can be replaced.

Except BMW does not sell the any of the stock OEM parts separately so a BMW Dealer replaces the whole assembly.

And with that in mind, the DCT Shifter cost 4x that of the manual, not the other way around.
I wasn't attempting shit. You're taking this personally when it has nothing to do with you. I was being sarcastic about the piece of plastic itself because OP said it was scratched then said it cost 1k to replace. I don't have as much time on my hands as you do to go researching BMW dealership SOPs and how much parts cost. Had he said they had to replace the entire assembly then I wouldn't have been sarcastic. It's obvious to any idiot out there that a DCT and its parts cost more than a manual and its parts.

And OP said thank God it was replaced under warranty because it's 1k when he could have just replaced that piece alone for under 100 bucks.
      07-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #25
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
It may be that you cannot just order that little piece may itself and have to order the whole assembly. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the case, I mean BMW isn't IKEA
Yeah I had no idea BMW would do that to replace a small piece of plastic, hence my sarcasm earlier. I was mistaken to use logic in this regard since replacing an entire DCT assembly for a small piece of plastic that can technically be replaced on its own had parts been available seems ridiculous.

Nothing personal against you.
      07-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #26
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:
Nice attempt.

Sure it can be replaced.

I wasn't attempting shit. You're taking this personally when it has nothing to do with you. I was being sarcastic about the piece of plastic itself because OP said it was scratched then said it cost 1k to replace. I don't have as much time on my hands as you do to go researching BMW dealership SOPs and how much parts cost. Had he said they had to replace the entire assembly then I wouldn't have been sarcastic. It's obvious to any idiot out there that a DCT and its parts cost more than a manual and its parts.

And OP said thank God it was replaced under warranty because it's 1k when he could have just replaced that piece alone for under 100 bucks.
Except when you cannot buy the part for $100.

So why did you comment on price of DCT vs Manual when you acknowledged you didn't know.

And btw, you could have found the part on realoem and the price via google search in less than the 60 seconds it took to write post.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #27
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:

So why did you comment on price of DCT vs Manual when you acknowledged you didn't know.

And btw, you could have found the part on realoem and the price via google search in less than the 60 seconds it took to write post.
Dude, give it a rest for f*** sakes. Grow up and get on with life.
Appreciate 2
paliknight2191.50
EvenKeel418.00
      07-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #28
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Shit if he posted I'd have given him mine for free that are left over from my mods. I'm certain I'm not the only one with spare parts too. Dude I was referring to the plastic piece cost (sarcastically), not the entire assembly.

And I'm running off of shitty satellite Internet in a shit hole so your 60 second search is my 10 minute search.
      10-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #29
pacman34
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

same problem on my '16 M3... dealer says I caused it by impact. Told me $1200 for repair.

Only one dealer in my area... was going to try and talk with the manager about it to see if I could get it fixed under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 08:53 PM   #30
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

On the DCT cars, the clear plastic/resin piece just sticks on with a bit of adhesive, and the whole trim around it is held in place by exactly one screw. If your dealer quotes you some crazy replacement cost, for a lot less you can upgrade to carbon fibre and replace it yourself in <10 minutes. If you want to replace just the clear bit, it just pries off with the edge of a razor blade.
Appreciate 1
jmg18697.00
      11-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #31
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Gear shifter cracked cosmetic, have to replace whole unit

So I brought in my M3 to get gear shifter replaced as the plastic/glass top cracked (not scratched but hairline fracture). Dealership agreed to replace for free.

After waiting an hour they tell me the whole unit has to be changed and car reprogrammed!! What??? So you can't just change out the top part, what happens if you want the carbon fiber version?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:22 PM   #32
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Get the CF replacement part, it comes with a new one because they are almost impossible to swap out without damaging it.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #33
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Get the CF replacement part, it comes with a new one because they are almost impossible to swap out without damaging it.
Exactly what I was going to recommend.