EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-26-2021, 04:56 PM   #1
macdemarcowerks
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Living with Metallic Black Sapphire?

Was wondering what it's been like for owners who have Black bmw m4/m3? I'm debating between white or black as I know white is easier to live with but black also looks really good and menacing
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 05:21 PM   #2
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdemarcowerks View Post
Was wondering what it's been like for owners who have Black bmw m4/m3? I'm debating between white or black as I know white is easier to live with but black also looks really good and menacing
I have BSM, don't buy it.

Don't buy white either.

BSM doesn't look that good once the car is a few years old even with upkeep. It's also brutal to maintain and also i don't know, for a black it is a pretty dull uneventful color.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 05:25 PM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
I have white, it's not hard to live with. Black paint is something you need to be careful with as it shows swirls easily.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      05-26-2021, 05:35 PM   #4
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Black is literally beautiful on f8x

Get it ceramic coated and monthly washes it'll be worth it

Also seeing your car go from dirty to a deep metallic black after the wash is so satisfying, white cars don't really have the same beauty after washing them

If you don't ceramic or wash very often then I agree with above posts
Appreciate 8
      05-26-2021, 05:55 PM   #5
Jason60051
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

I have a white f80 and a black mdx. I love both white and black but black is definitely a labor of love if you enjoy having a clean car. A clean white car will never look as good as a clean black…white is just white. I'm obsessive about keeping both my cars clean (ocd) so they are always clean but most my time is spent keeping the black one clean. Stay away from automatic car washes with the spinning brushes as those will leave swirls. Bmw bsm which I had on a prior 535 is very soft and shows swirls. If you decide to go with black be ready for lots of work.
      05-26-2021, 06:13 PM   #6
macdemarcowerks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post

Don't buy white either.

BSM doesn't look that good once the car is a few years old even with upkeep. It's also brutal to maintain and also i don't know, for a black it is a pretty dull uneventful color.
Why not white?

What color to get then? lol
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 06:30 PM   #7
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Quote:

Don't buy white either.

Why not white?

Silverstone, any of the blues, red, anything but those 2.

Also how dusty is the area you are in, black is okay if you have 0 dust.

I pretty much live in a construction site so it's super annoying, i might wrap my BSM in something
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 06:46 PM   #8
Jason60051
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:

Don't buy white either.

Why not white?

AW looks fantastic on the f8x's. Especially with black or carbon bits to offset the white.
      05-26-2021, 07:11 PM   #9
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

I had BSM on my 435i, jet black on my 328i, and I have mineral white on my M4. I would rank them as such...

1. Jet black. It is pure black and has a luster few colors have when cleaned and waxed or applied with ceramic. Swirl marks will happen though.
2. Mineral white. It's the only white car that matters to me. Deep shadows, creamy mid tones, and stunning highlights when taking pics. Looks cleaner in general. Will never have the jet black luster, but looks 1000x better at night.
3. Bsm. It's not quite black. It's not quite blue. Not quite green and not quite purple. Not deep enough for me as a black, and sometimes way too blue. I did dig the purple undertone. Super easy to micro scratch.

Hope that helps!
      05-26-2021, 07:46 PM   #10
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

I've had a BSM F82 for over 2 years now, moved twice, and put over 25k miles on her.

If I had to redo it, I would've gotten any color but black (except white and yellow) for the following reasons

-It's never clean: I can't stress how much of a pain in the ass it is to keep clean. I keep her in the garage but even early morning dew from my commute is noticeable after the first drive after spending hours cleaning it. Sure, it looks fantastic after a tedious detailing (a process I enjoy) but for that look to only last a day or two is frustrating

-It's not bold: This is personally preference, I know some people prefer colors that aren't flashy or attention-grabbing, but every F8x I've seen in green, blue, orange, and even purple has made me wish I had waited to get a bright color.

-Carbon fiber mods have no contrast: Up against any color but black, all carbon fiber mods really pop and look a lot more aggressive. I was somewhat disappointed (idk why) when I spent a good chunk of change on mods that didn't look as distinct on a black car

-It looks less aggressive: It's a well established fact that black hides the lines of any car. IMO the F8x has the most aggressive, stylish lines of any M car. It's a shame to get a color that hides these lines.

All that being said, there are some things I love about BSM:

-I love the murdered-out look. In the rare instances when she's perfectly clean it just looks so sinister
-It gives you a lot of freedom with colored mods. I can pretty much get any colored exterior mod I want and it won't look mismatched (wheels, calipers, etc.
-Attracts less attention from cops
-It's really easy to touch up little scratches
-It doesn't look different with different light. Granted this isn't necessarily a benefit unless you're comparing to a color that you don't like in certain light (the only thing that, originally, prevented me from getting YMB

That's my "review" of BSM. Back to my original statement: I wouldn't get BSM again, but I also wouldn't get silver or yellow (Bc they're ugly imho). Personally, I will be looking for a San Marino or Nardo when I decide to trade mine in.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:04 PM   #11
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

Years ago I had a black car. Loved it during the first few months of ownership. After a few hand washes and being very careful it still showed micro scratches. Polishing and waxing hid some of the flaws but the upkeep was just too much. As beautiful as it was, keeping a black car clean was impossible.

I've own 3 white cars since. It's less maintenance but doesn't have the depth and shine a black car has. Keeping a white car clean is easier but white does show flaws. Chips and scuffs are harder to hide.

If my only two options were black or white, I would choose white simply due to the lower maintenance. There are other very nice color M cars available. Given the option, I would get Imola Red. Second choice would be San Marino Blue. On a freshly wash car, both look very stunning in person. Regardless of color choice, having PPF makes it easier to reduce noticeable scratches. Ceramic coating keeps it cleaner overall meaning less washes/upkeep.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:09 PM   #12
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

My cars mineral white and I have no real complaints about it other than it's nearly impossible to match if you ever need touch up paint or a respray. And also how the backup camera is too dim at night because the camera focus's on the white bumper with the license plate lights shining through it and thus blowing the background out of proportion and making it nearly completely dark.

If you're someone who takes your cars through automatic car washes white will be a perfect color since you won't be able to see any swirls but if you're like me and like to keep your paint swirl free you'll wish you would've got a darker color to really show off the depth and clarity
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2021, 08:25 PM   #13
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
AW is beautiful. It stands out when needed and doesn't scream "give me a ticket"! I had a AW E46 M3 and now a F82 M4 and love it. You won't see swirl marks easily like you would on black, blue or red. It even hides small scratches pretty well. No it won't blind you like a waxed or ceramiced black or red car but when clean it looks sharp.

We have a black e90 on the family and it's so damn hard to keep it clean. One rain fall and it's a mess. Little bit of dust or pollen and it looks like it's been at a construction site! Swirl marks everywhere even though it's never been to a car wash!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 10:42 PM   #14
macdemarcowerks
Rep

To those with BSM or Black, would most of your troubles be cured if it got ceramic coated?
Appreciate 1
scrammer421.50
      05-26-2021, 10:58 PM   #15
Ajeje
Enlisted Member
San Marino
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Here with BSM...

look is aggressive and we know, black hide the details/design of the car and if u like carbon m perf. accessory i can tell that can appreciate them only near the car because from a distance they are not visible

maintenance is very hard...i use detailer product and is not easy and if u go a wrong wash scratch are garantuee (this is valid for every colour but on black is mosre visible).
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 11:00 PM   #16
HotRodM4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
  [10.00]
I like it for less attention from cops but I know damn well I wanna wrap it hellrot red sooner than later
      05-27-2021, 01:26 AM   #17
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

I think black hides alot of the design cues of the car. works better on the M4 since its more of a jelly bean smooth shape. but it hides the M3s aggressive angles. black looks amazing for about a day then its covered in a layer of dust again.

both whites look good. mineral is a bit more complex and the metallic will help hide dirt. alpine is more a true bright white.

easiest color to live with in my opinion is silverstone. it just hides everything. its probably the most complex as it can go from a pure liquid silver to a light blue based on the lighting outside.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 05:13 AM   #18
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

Yes.

PPF the entire front end and you have now worries.

I like low key and classic. My old E9X M3 was the opposite and I could not enjoy the car due every dbag wanting to race me.

Some people want the looks, I enjoy the drive.

Quote:
To those with BSM or Black, would most of your troubles be cured if it got ceramic coated?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 06:54 AM   #19
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Have you already made your mind up on either white or black?

I haven't owned a black car so I can't comment on the day-to-day life with them but I have owned several white cars. Both flat white (Alpine on my 340i) and several pearl/mineral white (including my current F80).

White wasn't my first choice when looking for an M3 but I'm glad it was at least Mineral White this time just for something a little bit different. It helps add a little to the paint in certain lightning. As someone else said, it looks really good at night, or in parking garage lighting. It almost gets a really light silver hue to it. I do miss the depth that you can get with other colors though, that "wet" look. You can get it a little bit with MW but flat white you just can't.

If I could do it over again, I would get some shade of red or one of the many blues BMW loves. I know they stand out more and get more attention (hi police officers) but they just look so good when clean.
      05-27-2021, 07:03 AM   #20
John dillinger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
Black is literally beautiful on f8x

Get it ceramic coated and monthly washes it'll be worth it

Also seeing your car go from dirty to a deep metallic black after the wash is so satisfying, white cars don't really have the same beauty after washing them

If you don't ceramic or wash very often then I agree with above posts

2nd that .....
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 09:06 AM   #21
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
This
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Bris6450.50
      05-27-2021, 01:42 PM   #22
sabrina
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 C2S

Garage List
Honestly. There are times I hate having BSM. But, I have to say this out loud... when my 6 year old M4 is cleaned up it is like secks on wheels. And, yes, it is ceramic coated. The shine is incredible. INCREDIBLE. Those 5 minutes after the wash are Heaven. Then drive it down the street and back. Crap, gotta start over LOL.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, got my wife's X5 in BSM as well. Yeah, those are fun days in the wash buckets.

My 2015 ceramic coated BSM M4:

and our garage of pain:

Sold: F82 M4, F15 X5, F30 328, E46 330
Appreciate 5
NickyC17453.50
2011ninja3382.00
ck_M361.00
JTM09384.00