EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California

07-14-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
jtecnik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TE Yas Marina

CA Smog Testing on ECU Tunes Starting 07.19.2021

Anyone heard about this?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...m=social-media
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtecnik View Post
I thought flashing back to stock was normal protocol before getting a SMOG?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2021, 08:53 AM   #3
m3elmo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
I thought flashing back to stock was normal protocol before getting a SMOG?
Right - even the articles first portion says this - my surprise is that they already were checking this in CA anyway - the concern I have is do they have something else they use to detect a tune or if an ECU has been flashed?

If you live in California and run an aftermarket tune on your car, you might want to think about flashing your ECU back to stock before heading out for your biennial Smog Check. Starting July 19, 2021, testing stations will begin to check whether cars are running OEM or California Air Resources Board (CARB)-approved tunes. If your car isn't, it'll fail the test.
      07-15-2021, 01:10 PM   #4
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

From my understanding (please do correct me if I am wrong), the checksum gets modified whenever you flash it to something other than OEM programming. Something like BM3 cracks just part of the DME, and you can never truly flash it back to the original flash and the checksum will never match again because you've never made a true backup of the entire DME. I believe that's how BMW detects your DME has been flashed.

My Guess: CA already has a database of checksum values for each make model year or they're in the process of collecting it and if yours doesn't match you'll be automatically failed at a smog station. They will send you to the state ref. where someone far more capable than a certified smog mechanic will go over your car in detail and then add a vehicle specific checksum for your vin so that next time you smog, your checksum must be in the set of allowable checksums. A change to an unrecognized checksum in subsequent smogs triggers that all over again.

Thoughts anyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 02:30 PM   #5
brody8877
I like cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
1993 Mazda RX-7  [0.00]
2015 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvq View Post
From my understanding (please do correct me if I am wrong), the checksum gets modified whenever you flash it to something other than OEM programming. Something like BM3 cracks just part of the DME, and you can never truly flash it back to the original flash and the checksum will never match again because you've never made a true backup of the entire DME. I believe that's how BMW detects your DME has been flashed.

My Guess: CA already has a database of checksum values for each make model year or they're in the process of collecting it and if yours doesn't match you'll be automatically failed at a smog station. They will send you to the state ref. where someone far more capable than a certified smog mechanic will go over your car in detail and then add a vehicle specific checksum for your vin so that next time you smog, your checksum must be in the set of allowable checksums. A change to an unrecognized checksum in subsequent smogs triggers that all over again.

Thoughts anyone?
That sounds about right. This what I heard from someone who fail smog and was sent to state ref last year. I guess they are officially enforcing this across the board.
18 - M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 02:38 PM   #6
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If what I'm thinking is right, here's a few thoughts:

- Selling your tuned car in California is going to get a bit more time consuming and require some action ahead of time like a visit to the state ref. You have to be able to provide proof of smog that's only valid 90 days prior to sale. This would only be applicable to tuned cars >= 4 years old. So for example a 2017 or earlier tuned M3/M4 might fail and require to visit the state ref to be inspected prior to sale. Does the state ref cost money?
- Tuned cars might be stigmatized even more than ever due to this.
- Having a spare DME programmed to your VIN by BMW might make sense for smog inspections. No clue if they'd allow this.
- You could get your prior tuned car inspected once by state ref and your new new checksum added to your vin. Then you can flash back to that tune every time you smog.
- You don't need to smog until after 8 model years anyways so stop worrying about it for now?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 02:59 PM   #7
2k1s
why did I modify a f83
Rep
Drives: 16 f83

Quote:

Thoughts anyone?
as someone who failed a state ref, this sounds about right. I did not lock my DME when I went in. I ended up paying the fine.

I'm not sure if flashing back to stock won't reset the check sum value to the correct number. I know that going stage 1 on BM3 turns off your O2 sensors and can be rather problematic to turn back on. IIRC there is a reset protocol to get them to turn them back on but you'd still have the issue of the checksum value not matching what it needs to be
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #8
cobra2814
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k1s View Post
Quote:

Thoughts anyone?
as someone who failed a state ref, this sounds about right. I did not lock my DME when I went in. I ended up paying the fine.

I'm not sure if flashing back to stock won't reset the check sum value to the correct number. I know that going stage 1 on BM3 turns off your O2 sensors and can be rather problematic to turn back on. IIRC there is a reset protocol to get them to turn them back on but you'd still have the issue of the checksum value not matching what it needs to be
So worst case scenario you just pay a fine? How much was the fine if you don't mind me asking.
      07-15-2021, 08:52 PM   #9
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

This happened to me. Feel free to ask away, but in essence, as long as you flash your car back to stock, you'll be ok.

Keep in mind that your first smog check (first EVER for the car) will serve as the reference point for future smog checks. The DMV will store your OBD2 checksum data into the database and if you try to fudge with future smog checks, you'll get sent to the ref.

The only remedy would be for you to take your car back to the dealership and ask them to flash you back to stock (in the event that BM3/Ecutek/MHD "flash back to stock" is not appropriate data for your car based on checksum).

"Referee Centers also reinspect vehicles that receive a "DATA CHECK FAIL" during a BAR-OIS inspection. A "DATA CHECK FAIL" occurs when data downloaded from the vehicle's OBD system during its last inspection is inappropriate for that vehicle. In order for the vehicle to receive a Smog Check certificate, the Referee must perform an inspection and verify the appropriateness of the data."

https://asktheref.org/Information/Mo...iness-Concerns
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 09:41 PM   #10
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Welcome to Commiefornia. High registration fees, gas tax, income tax, sales tax.
shay2nak1070.00
EezyBeezy271.00
Tangent296.00
      07-15-2021, 11:29 PM   #11
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Welcome to Commiefornia. High registration fees, gas tax, income tax, sales tax.
Even E85 is getting expensive here lol
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 06:47 PM   #12
ZBLOOM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

This has already been effect for over 3 years years now
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 09:14 PM   #13
EezyBeezy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F[am]80 M3

Been toying with the idea of tuning, not so much anymore..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 10:07 PM   #14
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
This happened to me. Feel free to ask away, but in essence, as long as you flash your car back to stock, you'll be ok.

Keep in mind that your first smog check (first EVER for the car) will serve as the reference point for future smog checks. The DMV will store your OBD2 checksum data into the database and if you try to fudge with future smog checks, you'll get sent to the ref.

The only remedy would be for you to take your car back to the dealership and ask them to flash you back to stock (in the event that BM3/Ecutek/MHD "flash back to stock" is not appropriate data for your car based on checksum).
I have not read up on this recently but will need to shortly as my smog will be due next year I think.
If the following scenario occurs…
- no new baseline taken
- flash to BM3
- reflash back to stock and get smog. Baseline and checksum generated
- reflash BM3, get custom E85 tune etc
- reflash back to stock and get smog again when time is due
Will the existing baseline be safe and existing checksum be retained, or does something change that will affect secondary readings when compared to baseline. This is also making the assumption that after flashing back to stock, new drive cycle completed and all available readiness flags are set.

Interesting game that is being played all for the sake of emissions…
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 10:12 PM   #15
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

I have not read up on this recently but will need to shortly as my smog will be due next year I think.
If the following scenario occurs…
- no new baseline taken
- flash to BM3
- reflash back to stock and get smog. Baseline and checksum generated
- reflash BM3, get custom E85 tune etc
- reflash back to stock and get smog again when time is due
Will the existing baseline be safe and existing checksum be retained, or does something change that will affect secondary readings when compared to baseline. This is also making the assumption that after flashing back to stock, new drive cycle completed and all available readiness flags are set.

Interesting game that is being played all for the sake of emissions…
As long as the original baseline (eg bootmod flash back to stock) is a software that is compatible with your vehicle type then you should pass. However this is not a guarantee since when the smog tech runs the OBD2 scan and your DME version gets sent to the DMV, they will cross reference your vin against similar cars and if the software appears off, you'll get flagged and get sent to ref for a OBD2 check.

This basically results in you having to go to the dealer for a "reflash to stock" because of a failed smog check and then you go to the ref and they plug you in, analyze your data, check you have cats (they don't pop your hood, just use a mirror under the car) and once approved, you go back to your original smog place and get it resmogged and you should pass.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 11:50 PM   #16
handsomdave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m4

i passed a smog test on my tuned m4 last year. granted it was the FIRST EVER smog test on the car, but nothing went wrong accordingly to the inspector. honestly, i don't even think they cared. i just made sure the car was warmed up and on for 25 minutes prior. the car was 6 years old and i needed one for the sale of the car.

if it were a physical inspection that they would have cared about, for sure i would have failed. with exhaust, x pipe, intake, etc. it most likely should have been failed.

i had a smog required on my on e46 years back. went into an inspection center and the guy said piss off. pre-judged that the car would fail/ wouldn't waste his time with all the mods. i think he would have failed it due to the visual inspection of being modded.

i ended up at the smog station i went to for the m4, passed easily. the car was also tuned by dinan.
      07-19-2021, 12:03 AM   #17
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Last year and the new smog law/process that went into affect just this month is like comparing apples to oranges though.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 12:12 AM   #18
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Darn. I am actually selling my car and apparently in CA the Seller needs to provide the buyer a smog certificate that the car can pass smog.

I don't have catless downpipes but I do have a stage 1 tune. I also have a cat back exhaust. I just flashed back to the stock tune and relocked the DME, but now I have to wait for the emissions controls to be ready, right? I heard this can take up to a week with a lot of freeway driving. Any insight?

I'm afraid of smogging the car now and possibly failing and getting sent to the state ref. I'm pausing the sale of my car until I can figure this out.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 12:18 AM   #19
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Darn. I am actually selling my car and apparently in CA the Seller needs to provide the buyer a smog certificate that the car can pass smog.

I don't have catless downpipes but I do have a stage 1 tune. I also have a cat back exhaust. I just flashed back to the stock tune and relocked the DME, but now I have to wait for the emissions controls to be ready, right? I heard this can take up to a week with a lot of freeway driving. Any insight?

I'm afraid of smogging the car now and possibly failing and getting sent to the state ref. I'm pausing the sale of my car until I can figure this out.
Do these procedures… you may need to do this super late at night depending on where you are.

You should also hook up a generic OBD2 scanner which beeps once a smog monitor has been set. It's super helpful to have for these situations so you can treat it as a game haha
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 12:36 AM   #20
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

What are your guys thoughts? I bought the car in sept of 2018 and had it smogged since it came from Texas. It passed with flying colors. Since then, I’ve tuned it with Bm3 and got the Awe swithpath exhaust system with AA EL midpipes. Now I reflashed to the stock tune and relockes the dme. If I try and smog my car again to get the buyer the smog cert, will the checksums be different and thatll screw me over?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 12:55 AM   #21
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
What are your guys thoughts? I bought the car in sept of 2018 and had it smogged since it came from Texas. It passed with flying colors. Since then, I’ve tuned it with Bm3 and got the Awe swithpath exhaust system with AA EL midpipes. Now I reflashed to the stock tune and relockes the dme. If I try and smog my car again to get the buyer the smog cert, will the checksums be different and thatll screw me over?
You should be fine. As long as all monitors are set, get it smogged. Obviously don't give them another reason to fail you, so put everything back to stock as reasonably possible.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 07:06 AM   #22
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think all of this hinges on the idea that one can flash back to stock in order to get the checksums to be the same as what oem provides. Is that even truely possible? Isn't this the same technique bmw uses to detect tunes in the first place?
Appreciate 0