Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

11-05-2021, 06:17 PM   #1
kepton05
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Wipers Won't Shut Off

Got in the car the other day and the wipers automatically turned themselves on and would not shut off. They remain on until the car is shut off and the door is opened.

Also, since this happened, the turn signals do not work either.

Based on quick research, it sounds like it may be the wiper relay. Can anyone verify? Can anyone direct me to the correct relay to investigate/replace? I cannot seem to find good info on the F80 fuse box location/diagrams. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 03:12 AM   #2
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

If you have access to ISTA, I would inspect the performance of the FEM (Front Electronics Module). Both the wipers and turn signals are controlled by that module. I don't see a common relay in the circuit for those accessories, but it would help if I had the last 7 of your VIN to do a proper lookup. I'm basing my comments on my own '18 M3's schematics.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 10:32 PM   #3
F90-EOP
Rep
Drives: BMW

There is a fuse location diagram folded up inside the trunk fuse box of my 2015 F80. The fuse box is under the trunk floor cover. With regards to the wiper problem, I presently have a similar problem where my wipers wipe one time then stop in the service position when unlocking the car. I unplugged the wiper motor. I was told that most likely the FEM (Front Electronics Module) needs to be reprogramed.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 09:47 AM   #4
Capt Awesome
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Msport

I had a very similar problem a couple years ago... it was the FEM. Fuse #10 for me.

Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 03:25 AM   #5
WarMachineM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepton05 View Post
Got in the car the other day and the wipers automatically turned themselves on and would not shut off. They remain on until the car is shut off and the door is opened.

Also, since this happened, the turn signals do not work either.

Based on quick research, it sounds like it may be the wiper relay. Can anyone verify? Can anyone direct me to the correct relay to investigate/replace? I cannot seem to find good info on the F80 fuse box location/diagrams. Thanks in advance!
Where is fuse 10 located? I'm having the same issue after a led steering wheel install. Comination seitches aren't working either. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 07:21 AM   #6
WarMachineM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Awesome View Post
I had a very similar problem a couple years ago... it was the FEM. Fuse #10 for me.

Do you know exactly where fuse 10 is in the FEM?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 04:26 PM   #7
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachineM3 View Post
Do you know exactly where fuse 10 is in the FEM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachineM3 View Post
Where is fuse 10 located? I'm having the same issue after a led steering wheel install. Comination seitches aren't working either. Thanks.
FEM BODY module on passenger side, behind footwell carpet.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1390632

Post #6

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 07:13 AM   #8
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

When a FEM went on my F80 the BMW mechanic wanted to see exactly what fuse blew, so he cut the top of the FEM open. The standard mini fuses (the kind that pull out with a clip-tool) that were inside were SOLDERED IN. There was no easy way to replace a single fuse inside it and the whole FEM needed replacing.

We were troubleshooting a shorted DME and didn't plan to repair the FEM, but we used the autopsy to learn how far the short damage went.
      04-14-2023, 12:52 PM   #9
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Faaaakkkk! I’ve got the same problem with my wipers being on all the time, the washer does not work, and neither do my turn signals.

So if I’m understanding correctly, the FEM needs to be replaced? How much is that going to cost?

There’s no way to repair it?

====================

PS. coincidentally, one week ago I had my windshield replaced at a glass shop, rather than the dealer, so non-OEM glass was used. Is there any chance that installing the windshield somehow caused a short in the FEM when connecting the rain sensor?

Or if that was the case, it should have happened right away as opposed to one week later?

Last edited by Lotus99; 04-14-2023 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 06:02 PM   #10
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Faaaakkkk! I’ve got the same problem with my wipers being on all the time, the washer does not work, and neither do my turn signals.

So if I’m understanding correctly, the FEM needs to be replaced? How much is that going to cost?

There’s no way to repair it?

====================

PS. coincidentally, one week ago I had my windshield replaced at a glass shop, rather than the dealer, so non-OEM glass was used. Is there any chance that installing the windshield somehow caused a short in the FEM when connecting the rain sensor?

Or if that was the case, it should have happened right away as opposed to one week later?
Your triple whammy is probably the FEM.

Replacing glass with non-OEM is no big deal. The common problem after a windshield replacement is that the rain detector doesn’t work properly. It’s when they scrape off the old “gel” and re-stick it instead of using a new gel.

PS: my glass man actually recommended non-OEM since it’s softer and doesn’t crack as easily as OEM. It’s more likely to star or chip than to get a running crack.
      04-15-2023, 12:45 PM   #11
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Your triple whammy is probably the FEM.

Replacing glass with non-OEM is no big deal. The common problem after a windshield replacement is that the rain detector doesn’t work properly. It’s when they scrape off the old “gel” and re-stick it instead of using a new gel.

PS: my glass man actually recommended non-OEM since it’s softer and doesn’t crack as easily as OEM. It’s more likely to star or chip than to get a running crack.
Thx... Was afraid of that. I found a few places online that say they can repair the FEM, but most of them seem to do it after people have done programming and it caused the problem. like these guys: https://bimmerpro.ca/shop/en/home/35...t-service.html

Do you think in my case it can't be repaired and replacement is the only way to go?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 07:44 PM   #12
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Thx... Was afraid of that. I found a few places online that say they can repair the FEM, but most of them seem to do it after people have done programming and it caused the problem. like these guys: https://bimmerpro.ca/shop/en/home/35...t-service.html

Do you think in my case it can't be repaired and replacement is the only way to go?
The FEM can’t be repaired, just replaced. It’s a sealed plastic box with fuses inside. Do the DIY.

[edit: I might be thinking the wrong part. Mine was a small black box/module. Not white like in the link’s picture.]
      04-16-2023, 07:05 PM   #13
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
The FEM can’t be repaired, just replaced. It’s a sealed plastic box with fuses inside. Do the DIY.

[edit: I might be thinking the wrong part. Mine was a small black box/module. Not white like in the link’s picture.]
I chatted with the guy at BimmerPro And he says they don’t exactly repair the FEM that I send in, but rather use it to clone one they have that they know is working fine.

Without repairing it, I’m not sure how they can get the data off of it, first of all. Secondly, it’s cheaper if you send in your own module (like a core charge), so I assumed they repair it before sending it back, so I’m a little bit confused what they’re doing. I’m going to ask them these questions this week before sending it in.

As luck would have it, after two days of not working, all of a sudden, it seems to be back to normal! WTF?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 12:42 PM   #14
xaxaredbul
Registered
Rep
Drives: my car

Any BMW produced 03.2017-10.2021 if haves the failure: permanent wipers, have to be checked for stearing column module MFL connector Fretting corrosion. It is the module holding wiper lever and blinker lever.
All BMW models produced 10.2019-06.2022 :
If the BC button on blinker lever does not work, it have to be checked the cable inside the lever.

Don't ask me how I know.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50