EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-27-2021, 07:08 PM   #45
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsoup View Post
Tell me why??
Downpipes introduce a lot of rasp.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 08:24 PM   #46
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
You won't get great sound with a mid-pipe alone. The muffler plays a large role in sound. One option is Fabspeed mid and MPE muffler. This combo is one of the best sounding but be prepared to wait an eternity for the delivery of the mid-pipe if you plan to order a new one.

im running stock down pipes, aa EL resonated mid with stock muffler. sound is definitely deeper, and louder when valves are open, drone is present around 2300-2700rpm . not much change when valves are closed.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 12:24 AM   #47
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
Quote:
Tell me why??
Downpipes introduce a lot of rasp.
ARM makes resonated downpipes for this very reason. Definitely cuts down on the rasp but it's not 100%.

Still sounds better than non resonated downpipes IMO.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 09:10 AM   #48
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Tell me why??
Because I want it thaaaat way.

Tell you why what?
Appreciate 1
heitzke1152.50
      11-29-2021, 09:11 AM   #49
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
ARM makes resonated downpipes for this very reason. Definitely cuts down on the rasp but it's not 100%.

Still sounds better than non resonated downpipes IMO.
I had the CTS catted downpipes. It didn't rasp with the resonated midpipe. It just sounded twangy and shitty like a four cylinder.
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2883.50
      11-29-2021, 09:19 AM   #50
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 01:07 PM   #51
coldsoup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3

Quote:
Quote:
Tell me why??

Tell you why what?
👍
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:48 PM   #52
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Here comes the holy war!

It's personal preference, really. But my experience has been the following:

single midpipe: no rasp, no drone, car still sounds like a fart.

equal-length midpipe: no rasp, some drone when the pipe is cold until I deleted cold-start, sounds MUCH better than stock or single.

EDIT: The equal-length did NOT sound good on my car with high-flow catted downpipes. I put the stock downpipes back on for that reason.
Yeah definitely down to personal preference and tolerance.

Last month, I installed the VRSF single midpipe with Akrapovic muffler. Even those big changes, when values are closed, it isn't that much different than stock. With the values opened, just milling around around, it's louder and deeper overall tone but i'd say about only 30% to 40% more. The burbles are definitely more pronounced. WOT, it's louder and sounds great but I don't go WOT often on public road, only on the track.

My initial reaction to the whole setup was that it wasn't as loud or deep as I thought it would be. I liked it but not in love with it. But judging from other's response from the forum with similar setup, I thought it would be a huge difference. I chalk it to different preferences.

Btw, how would introducing a high flow catted DP do to the sound with my existing setup?

What didn't sound good about the DP with the EL and how EL sound much better than single?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 05:27 PM   #53
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawei213 View Post
I thought it would be a huge difference. I chalk it to different preferences.
Fundamentally any UEL setup won't change the underlying exhaust tone which it sounds like you were expecting - for that you will need to go EL. Think of UEL vs EL as the fundamental tone of the exhaust, and think of cats, resonators, & mufflers as exhaust shaping/fine tuning items. S55 is a very raspy engine naturally and EL does not control rasp quite as well as UEL due to design, so when EL is paired with a catless setup, it will sound very raspy - hence the need for resonators.
Kilabyte3942.00
      11-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #54
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawei213 View Post
Quote:
Here comes the holy war!

It's personal preference, really. But my experience has been the following:

single midpipe: no rasp, no drone, car still sounds like a fart.

equal-length midpipe: no rasp, some drone when the pipe is cold until I deleted cold-start, sounds MUCH better than stock or single.

EDIT: The equal-length did NOT sound good on my car with high-flow catted downpipes. I put the stock downpipes back on for that reason.
Yeah definitely down to personal preference and tolerance.

Last month, I installed the VRSF single midpipe with Akrapovic muffler. Even those big changes, when values are closed, it isn't that much different than stock. With the values opened, just milling around around, it's louder and deeper overall tone but i'd say about only 30% to 40% more. The burbles are definitely more pronounced. WOT, it's louder and sounds great but I don't go WOT often on public road, only on the track.

My initial reaction to the whole setup was that it wasn't as loud or deep as I thought it would be. I liked it but not in love with it. But judging from other's response from the forum with similar setup, I thought it would be a huge difference. I chalk it to different preferences.

Btw, how would introducing a high flow catted DP do to the sound with my existing setup?

What didn't sound good about the DP with the EL and how EL sound much better than single?
Get a valve controller and run it with the valves open all of the time. Add some resonated downpipes and you'll be VERY loud at WOT.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:17 PM   #55
tauzins
Wing Chun Shifter Speed
Rep
Drives: 2015 Tanz M4

My setup is AA catless DP with AA EL resonated with stock exhaust, just recently switched to MPE and couldn't be happier. Stock box sounded good but the MPE deff made it sound better

I'll edit and post some videos

Totaled:F30 335i | ER Chargepipe | ER Down-Pipe | Wagner Intercooler | BMS Intake | Meisterschaft Exhaust | MHD BEF JB4 Map 3 / 30% e85 / 50/50 Meth
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:22 PM   #56
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

i tried resonated downpipes and i would say it only cut maybe 10-20% of rasp at best scenario. whereas adding resonators right before the diff to single mid pipe changed everything
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2021, 11:44 PM   #57
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauzins View Post
My setup is AA catless DP with AA EL resonated with stock exhaust, just recently switched to MPE and couldn't be happier. Stock box sounded good but the MPE deff made it sound better

Patiently awaiting some vids as I have stock DPs, non res EL and MPE.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 07:17 AM   #58
tauzins
Wing Chun Shifter Speed
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tauzins View Post

Patiently awaiting some vids as I have stock DPs, non res EL and MPE.
Just fyi my wastegates rattle so some rasp is coming from that

https://youtube.com/shorts/uvdEWiQtmH8?feature=share

Here is a flyby.

And here is a full rev but tbh videos make it sound horrible

https://youtube.com/shorts/QM4ATZBKJuY?feature=share

Here is video without mpe stock box

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM8nf6B1b/

Totaled:F30 335i | ER Chargepipe | ER Down-Pipe | Wagner Intercooler | BMS Intake | Meisterschaft Exhaust | MHD BEF JB4 Map 3 / 30% e85 / 50/50 Meth
Appreciate 4
Kilabyte3942.00
astris607.50
TimmyM56241.50
      12-04-2021, 11:59 PM   #59
chipper1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 zcp DCT Alpine tuned

tauzins

Sounds very good to me! I probably say with stock muffler cause cost of MPE is retarded!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #60
tauzins
Wing Chun Shifter Speed
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper1 View Post
tauzins

Sounds very good to me! I probably say with stock muffler cause cost of MPE is retarded!
I found a mpe cracked and got it cheap and had it rewelded so it was worth the purchase or else I would've stayed stock

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 05:54 PM   #61
M3nmotion18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 IR ZCP BM3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.87]
2021 MINI COOPER  [10.00]
2023 GENESIS GV60  [10.00]
2017 LEXUS RX350  [10.00]
Anyone got the catless DP with MP Muffler set up sound or Eisenmann? curious how loud it gets compared to the stock zcp muffler... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 10:00 PM   #62
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I just recently installed AA single midpipe on my F80 comp - rest of the car is stock.

From inside the car, there is almost no difference in terms of sound, maybe slightly louder during normal driving. At WOT and in Sport +, then you can hear that it is louder and burbles are more pronounced.
The biggest change I felt was the extra power down low. Its definitely noticeable the first few times I drove it and then you get used to it.

The latest upgrade i made was the Controller to keep the exhaust flaps open and now finally the car sounds better from the inside even in Comfort setting for engine. From the outside its definitely noticeably louder than stock. I think next mod would be rear muffler but not for awhile.

To summarize - you NEED the Exhaust flap controller to maximize sound of midpipe!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 02:21 AM   #63
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
/

To summarize - you NEED the Exhaust flap controller to maximize sound of midpipe!
That should be an OEM function TBH. Efficient mode with the EL midpipe with the flaps open is my daily (close the flaps in the neighborhood)

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 04:00 AM   #64
TheMaster1971NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

I have this https://www.mosselmanturbo.com/en/ic...p-controller-1
working great!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #65
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
I just recently installed AA single midpipe on my F80 comp - rest of the car is stock.

From inside the car, there is almost no difference in terms of sound, maybe slightly louder during normal driving. At WOT and in Sport +, then you can hear that it is louder and burbles are more pronounced.
The biggest change I felt was the extra power down low. Its definitely noticeable the first few times I drove it and then you get used to it.

The latest upgrade i made was the Controller to keep the exhaust flaps open and now finally the car sounds better from the inside even in Comfort setting for engine. From the outside its definitely noticeably louder than stock. I think next mod would be rear muffler but not for awhile.

+1 for the single midpipe, i think it's the safest sound option and sounds great.

With everything else stock, you'll need the valve controller for more sound on comfort mode. But once you add the muffler or downpipes, you don't need the valve controller.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 05:46 AM   #66
LuborF82
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Had a few different set ups trying to find the right sound for me All were done with the AR resonated catless DP (massive difference in power when I put these on and got a stage 2 tune and won't go back, plus a turner intake)
-with stock cat back exhaust has better/louder note with valves open but still not right from the outside was embarrassing at certain high revs
-First was a full equal length system from Valvetronic, did change the sound but raspy as hell about 3k rpm and unbearable drone when cruising (both with valves open or shut) fitment was disgusting told me to chop and modify it to fit add different resonators and back box (pretty much rebuild their faulty exhaust) and I'm still trying to get a refund or compensation never get this exhaust!
- second was the AA equal length resonated mid pipe paired with stock back box, sounded great felt like the car revved another 2k compared to stock (sound wise) It changes the way the car sounds and can see why people including myself like it set up but it has a couple down falls it had rasp on start up for the first 5-10mins had to let the car sit for ages before I was game to take off to save embarrassment after that it was 100 percent gone and drone free cruising etc which was great other down side to me (again very personal preference here and subjective) was unless you were Revving it out it didn't have any character, cruising around when you can't really get up it sounded plain to me non turbo like (quieter induction noise, turbo spool, no quick pop on gear changes and crack letting off) again some people chasing this stuff and others arnt, if you was a smooth clean sound this is the set up and willing deal will rasp for first few minutes until everything has heated up you will love it.
-3rd was single mid pipe and I Adopted the resonated pipe sections from the EL setup to it. Zero rasp at anytime throughout the rev range and zero drone when cruising. I like the sound driving around town and my area in the blue mountains it's deep has distinct induction and spool noises I like and that character that makes the car different (biggest thing for me was no rasp).
In a perfect world I'd have the low and mid rev sound of the single and the higher rev sound of the equal length haha. I'd recommend trying to hear set ups in person to make a choice videos don't always do justice or tell the whole story.
Appreciate 4
jr3yes6.00
baozi0.00
tomci0811.00