Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-06-2021, 11:09 AM   #1
Jordan1scool
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Oil all over, timing cover missing, too much pressure in crankcase?

Hi all,

I was recently driving home in my 2017 F80 when I noticed a bit of white smoke in the rear view mirror. I had done a couple hard pulls, but the car seemed fine.. No loss of power, no noises, no malfunction notifications.

Started to check the car out, first the oil cooler. Cooler seemed fine, oil wasn't pouring out anywhere. Popped the hood and found some oil spray on drivers side of bay. Started the car and checked the oil, reading was at the min line. CEL came on and I checked it, P112F - Manifold absolute pressure to throttle angle too high bank 1.

I pulled the skid plate off and double checked the cooler - nothing. Oil was definitely coming from higher up. Oil cooler lines were a little more wet than everything else, thought maybe one was leaking.

Looking around a little more and noticed a hole on the front of the block where it looked like a cap or freeze plug should be. I did some research trying to find what the part was called and found that it's a timing cover and it's taken out during a crank hub job - which I recently had done.

I'm guessing that it came out and the oil leaked from there, then hit the belt and fan and slung everywhere. But my question is, has anyone had this happen before? Did it come out because it was not installed properly? Or do I have a bigger issue that caused it shoot out because of too much pressure in the crankcase?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:29 PM   #2
nochillm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

I have seen photos in BMW groups on Facebook of shops not fully seating that seal. When seated, it should not be flush with the opening’s edge, it should be recessed into the opening. I am willing to wager that is what happened, whether by accident or inexperience, as I believe it would be a virtual impossibility for that to shoot out from too much pressure. Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but, either way, make sure it is recessed when that seal is replaced.

EDIT: Found photos of what the seals should NOT look like.
Attached Images

Last edited by nochillm3; 12-07-2021 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: Found photos of what the seals should NOT look like.
Appreciate 3