Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #1
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Debating buying an M car on Vroom that has a few months of factory warranty left. Vroom also offers a comprehensive additional warranty for only $2500 or so for 3yrs that covers everything in the photo attached. Seems like an incredible deal… too good to be true to get that kind of extended full warranty coverage inside and out for an M car? Anyone have experience buying from them and the VSP warranty?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 12:16 PM   #2
Ervin87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30

I would call your local service shops and dealership and ask if they have any experience working with Vroom 3rd party warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
1stockf80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 f80

I wouldn’t buy any car from vroom unless I personally see it and inspect it. Lots of people have been trading cars in to them with strippped down parts or even parts missing. My friend bought a f80 with swapped out headlights, carbon strut bar missing and some other minor flaws vroom overlooks when buying cars.
Appreciate 2
      10-21-2021, 03:24 PM   #4
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
^This.

You may get lucky and find one that has actually been taken care of. But even a clean CarFax doesn't always tell the whole story.

For example, I traded in my 2018 STi (not to Vroom) when I bought my M240ix. The dealer barely looked it over. Drove it literally to the end of the street and back. The car was clean, so of course it was all good. But I removed a turbo back exhaust, all the heat shields I put on, etc, and the car had been flashed to stock from a stage 2 two weeks earlier. They never bothered to even plug the thing in.

Vroom, Carvana, etc. I know have been lazy in their inspections. I have seen a few unfortunate stories around here as well as the 2addicts forum of folks getting a "tuned" car from one of the online sites. One M240i had a bad motor, and thankfully Carvana replaced it with another car. I am not sure I would want to take that sort of risk.

Now, if you plan to have a PPI the second the car comes off the truck, good for you. At least these online sites allow you to return them in the case you found something wrong.

Also, you might want to chat with your local dealer on how much an extended warranty from BMW would be as you are not completely done with the factory warranty. Just a thought, and what I would have done if my car was not out of warranty when I bought it.

Good luck with your decision! These cars are incredible...

josh
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 03:29 PM   #5
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Thanks good tips. Yea being able to get it looked over while within the return window is key and the remaining factory warranty is nice for various reasons (ability to extend maintenance, warranty, etc).. I'm really tempted to pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 10:12 AM   #6
agustincuenca
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i; 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I got my f80 from Vroom, unlike what others said, the one I got was super clean, 2016 and only 32k miles (~6500mls/year), well taken care of, carfax showed all services done on time, even the 1200 miles brake in oil change. Got it with extended/aftermarket warranty for 60months/60k miles for about $2400.

edit: the company for the warranty is Safe-Guard
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #7
Ck1720
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Comp 6MT

I bought my M3 from Vroom and didn't have any issues. Car came as described. Mine happened to have minor damage listed on Carfax but that was clear at time of purchase. After getting it inspected locally it was just a half bumper respray job which I just addressed and car is perfect now. Gamble paid off.

I'm not big on extended warranties so I immediately declined it for the $2500. But then he asked me how much money I'd spend over 5 years on repairs for the car. I threw out a random number like $1200 and he actually matched it. So I bought it. Dude was good at his job lol. Worth it to me for peace of mind and for $1200… I've made worse decisions with more money. I have yet to use the warranty since I'm still under factory so can't speak to that.

I'd say try to negotiate on the cost of the warranty itself. Just don't be surprised when you see the math. It still showed up as full price of $2500 on the contract but he cut down the financing interest rate (which I'm assuming just cuts into their profits) to bring the monthly payment down. I was a little annoyed that he didn't tell me that's how he was going to do it but end result was the same. Also my rate was great - I'd have to check but think it's like 1.85%
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #8
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

CarMax warranty is the best aftermarket one look into them , paid for itself for me already
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:02 AM   #9
ynottony
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lurker

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck1720 View Post
I bought my M3 from Vroom and didn't have any issues. Car came as described. Mine happened to have minor damage listed on Carfax but that was clear at time of purchase. After getting it inspected locally it was just a half bumper respray job which I just addressed and car is perfect now. Gamble paid off.

I'm not big on extended warranties so I immediately declined it for the $2500. But then he asked me how much money I'd spend over 5 years on repairs for the car. I threw out a random number like $1200 and he actually matched it. So I bought it. Dude was good at his job lol. Worth it to me for peace of mind and for $1200… I've made worse decisions with more money. I have yet to use the warranty since I'm still under factory so can't speak to that.

I'd say try to negotiate on the cost of the warranty itself. Just don't be surprised when you see the math. It still showed up as full price of $2500 on the contract but he cut down the financing interest rate (which I'm assuming just cuts into their profits) to bring the monthly payment down. I was a little annoyed that he didn't tell me that's how he was going to do it but end result was the same. Also my rate was great - I'd have to check but think it's like 1.85%
That's a great rate, but for how many months?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:39 AM   #10
Heights Ag 06
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 Black Shadow

While you have to be VERY careful buying from Zoom (here in Houston, Texas Direct Auto), we had a great experience about 18 months ago buying my wife's Mercedes GLS 450. We bought it and took it straight to the dealer for a post-purchase inspection (they have a return policy of a few days I believe). It checked out great.

I'm usually skeptical of aftermarket warranties, but we bought one from Zoom as it was silly cheap - like $1500 for 4 year / 40k miles (car had 19k miles on it at time of purchase) with $50 deductible. I didn't expect it to be easy to use, but I was very wrong. We've now used it several times (to the tune of $3k+) at Sewell Mercedes with no questions asked. It's been stellar.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #11
Ck1720
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynottony View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck1720 View Post

That's a great rate, but for how many months?
Ok just checked and it's a bit higher. 2.59 for 72 months. Shorter term didn't move it much.
Appreciate 1