proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-11-2021, 09:34 PM   #23
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrow View Post
I am thinking of getting an MST intake of has anyone got one or had one ? Looking for feedback on how it sounds , are there any cold start idle issues or fitment problems etc

I am doing it for sound not performance

Any reviews / feedback appreciated
I just looked up the MST intake and it looks great. It really should be priced at $300 since you can get the VRSF kit for $250 that’s exactly the same thing minus the heat shield. I'd rather buy the VRSF kit and build a heat shield myself. The fact that the company charges more than double for the same product as the VRSF kit for just the additional heat shielding is disgusting. I'd never support a company that delivery price gouges their customers. To each their own, I guess.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:00 PM   #24
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
Quote:
I am thinking of getting an MST intake of has anyone got one or had one ? Looking for feedback on how it sounds , are there any cold start idle issues or fitment problems etc

I just looked up the MST intake and it looks great. It really should be priced at $300 since you can get the VRSF kit for $250 that's exactly the same thing minus the heat shield. I'd rather buy the VRSF kit and build a heat shield myself. The fact that the company charges more than double for the same product as the VRSF kit for just the additional heat shielding is disgusting. I'd never support a company that delivery price gouges their customers. To each their own, I guess.
If you can buy supplies and build 2 nice custom cut heavy metal boxes, with epoxy paint and rubber edging, all for $50 then you can start a business here.

Ask Mike for a price. MST makes good stuff.
      03-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #25
Marrow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 comp & E46 M3 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
Quote:

I just looked up the MST intake and it looks great. It really should be priced at $300 since you can get the VRSF kit for $250 that's exactly the same thing minus the heat shield. I'd rather buy the VRSF kit and build a heat shield myself. The fact that the company charges more than double for the same product as the VRSF kit for just the additional heat shielding is disgusting. I'd never support a company that delivery price gouges their customers. To each their own, I guess.
I don't know if it's the same as the vrsf or not tbh I went with the MST because all the research I did suggested fitment was spot on and there were no idle issues.
I looked at the vrsf intakes and they are good value but the reviews and feedback I found were not as positive.

Like you say each to your own I am happy with the intake I chose and I didn't personally think the price was too bad compared to other intake systems at least.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #26
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
I don't know if it's the same as the vrsf or not tbh I went with the MST because all the research I did suggested fitment was spot on and there were no idle issues.
I looked at the vrsf intakes and they are good value but the reviews and feedback I found were not as positive.

Like you say each to your own I am happy with the intake I chose and I didn't personally think the price was too bad compared to other intake systems at least.
I'm with you, I love mine. Got it on sale too!

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 1
Marrow11.50
      03-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #27
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Trust me I meant no offense to those who bought it. I actually wanted it but for me personally I can’t support that kind of price gouging and I’d rather spend 1k more and get the carbon fiber setup. It’s more about the principle than anything for me, I only support company’s that care about their customers not ones that are all about profit and nothing more. It’s the ones that care that stay in business while those who don’t move on to other business models or go out of business.

Honestly VRSF should create a heat shield and call it a day. They would sell a lot more and there’s no way a simple heat shield like that should costing more than 100 when computers cut and shape everything these days and the end user builds it at home (like ikea) that’s all they need to do and they will get everyone’s business. I’ve been buying vrsf since they first started and their dedication and cheap prices have always brought me back, I’ve never had an issue with any product of theirs from down pipes, intakes, to race intercoolers ect...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 11:26 AM   #28
scott13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 | BSM | 6MT

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone for the info on this intake.

Did the install over the weekend. Super easy (and fun) install with no fitment issues.

I would agree with what has already been said about the MST in terms of loudness and whoosh-iness. It's a little bit more than stock, but very definitely not over the top. If you're looking for a LOUD intake...this isn't it. But I'm loving it so far.

And thanks to mike@x-ph.com for a great forum friendly price and fast shipping!
Attached Images

Last edited by scott13; 03-31-2021 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 03:12 AM   #29
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott13 View Post

Did the install over the weekend. Super easy (and fun) install with no fitment issues.

I would agree with what has already been said about the MST in terms of loudness and whoosh-iness. It's a little bit more than stock, but very definitely not over the top. If you're looking for a LOUD intake...this isn't it. But I'm loving it so far.

Can you post a video of the sound please?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #30
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott13 View Post

My pleasure, congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 06:52 AM   #31
scott13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 | BSM | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
Can you post a video of the sound please?
I can try...but just FYI, with the windows up, it's pretty hard to hear (IMO). I can imagine that it'll be hard to hear in a video. You can definitely hear it better with the windows down, but those vids tend to just mostly be wind noise.

I'll give it a shot over the weekend and see what I can do.
Appreciate 0