Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

01-04-2022, 02:49 PM   #1
///Mani
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Trunk Headliner Removal Help

Good afternoon I am trying to remove the headliner in my trunk and am left with the two screws above the emergency trunk pull.

I put my screwdriver in and turned it and it stripped the plastic head instantly. I didn't not even provide any force to do so. I did the same with the other side using softer methods.

Does anyone have any idea how to remove these screws. They are fairly tight and I can't manage to get wriggle room or pliers to help out.

Thanks in advance looking forward to talking with y'all
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 09:26 PM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

The little black screw-plugs that seem to have a Philips head but just strip? Yeah, they are a sucky design. My one plastic screw was stuck, head stripped real quick. I had to put a tiny flathead screwdriver underneath, and use a pair of pliers to turn it out. Then I got a new one.

All the others came out pretty easy. A regular size Phillips (#2) head hand-screwdriver worked best.

When putting them back in don't just push the screw straight in like a push-plug because that's what jams the screw threads inside the plug. I put drop of WD-40 on a napkin and wiped the screw thread. When the plastic was shiny it screws in (and out) so much easier
      01-04-2022, 09:51 PM   #3
///Mani
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
The little black screw-plugs that seem to have a Philips head but just strip? Yeah, they are a sucky design. My one plastic screw was stuck, head stripped real quick. I had to put a tiny flathead screwdriver underneath, and use a pair of pliers to turn it out. Then I got a new one.

All the others came out pretty easy. A regular size Phillips (#2) head hand-screwdriver worked best.

When putting them back in don't just push the screw straight in like a push-plug because that's what jams the screw threads inside the plug. I put drop of WD-40 on a napkin and wiped the screw thread. When the plastic was shiny it screws in (and out) so much easier
Thank you will try this right now and will let you know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 10:13 PM   #4
///Mani
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mani View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

Thank you will try this right now and will let you know how it goes!
No success it's on so tight. My first attempt literally stripped the head. So frustrating
Appreciate 0