proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #23
modulated
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AzBlack/Black F83

Garage List
2015 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2014 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2007 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Thanks for tips here, everyone. Just happened to me two weeks ago and it looks EXACTLY like OP's first photo. I'm not quite following the repair instructions and I don't yet understand what this part assembly even does, but I'll report any learnings.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 07:42 AM   #24
Bettertomorrow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

Feel your pain...
When I picked up my car, I had both left and right side middle pieces broken like OP's car. Rather than taking the car to the dealer who sold it (free fix), I wanted to replace them myself, looked like easy DIY, just needed to get the parts. Looked into finding replacement parts for many days and learned that BMW now only sells these trim pieces by the set, no more individual piece sales. It seemed that very rarely one could find the right piece on ebay but that did not happen for me for 2 weeks or so.

Impatience got the better of me, I ended up ordering the whole set and reached out to selling dealer to fix it as well. Figured if dealer can fix it quickly enough, I could always return the set, no harm done. Otherwise, I would just fix it myself. Was right about dealer fixing it quickly but was wrong about returning the set, apparently this bmw online store charges 15-20% restocking fee for an unopened part. Probably will hold on to this set, have a feeling that one of trim pieces may eventually break.
15 BMW F83 M4, MHD Stage 2, CBC, xHP Stage 2, ADD W1 Catchcan, AA Single Mid, Eibach Pro, 12.5mm spacers, BMC drop-in with charcoal removed, other misc/cosmetics (Alpha 1 speakers, all exterior LED light bulbs, ambient light upgrade-center console/doors, Hardwired Garmin Dashcam)
15 BMW X3 x35i
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 12:31 PM   #25
leahbmw2001
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i convertible

Any chance I can buy one of those parts from you? My right center piece is also broken and I am trying to avoid paying $500+ for the entire kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 12:49 PM   #26
leahbmw2001
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i convertible

or anyone else who has center right piece!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 05:01 PM   #27
Bettertomorrow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahbmw2001 View Post
Any chance I can buy one of those parts from you? My right center piece is also broken and I am trying to avoid paying $500+ for the entire kit.
Sorry, if center piece isn't the one that always seems to break, I would sell it to you. But when mine does break in the future, chances are, it will be center piece and can't spent $675 for that one piece again. I do feel your pain though. I believe that piece alone used to sell for less than $75, more like $50 before BMW changed their selling tactic.
15 BMW F83 M4, MHD Stage 2, CBC, xHP Stage 2, ADD W1 Catchcan, AA Single Mid, Eibach Pro, 12.5mm spacers, BMC drop-in with charcoal removed, other misc/cosmetics (Alpha 1 speakers, all exterior LED light bulbs, ambient light upgrade-center console/doors, Hardwired Garmin Dashcam)
15 BMW X3 x35i
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 04:02 PM   #28
Ctxgal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435I

Right side.

I have searched high and low for part #54377184048
Cover, hinge primed right. Any help in locating would be appreciated or suggestions on what options there are.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 04:22 PM   #29
visoiuvlad
Registered
Rep
Drives: F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettertomorrow View Post
Sorry, if center piece isn't the one that always seems to break, I would sell it to you. But when mine does break in the future, chances are, it will be center piece and can't spent $675 for that one piece again. I do feel your pain though. I believe that piece alone used to sell for less than $75, more like $50 before BMW changed their selling tactic.
Hi,
Can you sell me the rear small piece? Passenger side
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 03:08 AM   #30
2Slo_F83
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 | F83 + 06 | Lexus IS350

Does anyone have any videos how to proactively put the adhesive and double sided tapes to ensure this doesn't happen at all?

Mine hasn't popped yet, I'm hoping it will be under warranty she. It happens.
      03-31-2022, 09:10 PM   #31
2Slo_F83
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 | F83 + 06 | Lexus IS350

Does this cover under warranty?
      04-01-2022, 02:40 AM   #32
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

I used scotch tape as a test solution (you can see I didn't bother removing the dirt/air bubbles), but it's worked so well that I'm just leaving this on until it starts to come off, at which point I'll just use new scotch tape.

Cheap, effective, and neat, though I'm assuming it'll come off at some point so it's not a permanent fix. Getting a new molding set isn't a permanent fix either. 😆 Been a month now and gone through 5 washes with zero issues.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 07:50 AM   #33
Scythe17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2010 M3 E93 6 Speed

Garage List
This just happened to mine, ugh 400 bucks for a piece of plastic they don't sell on it's own anymore... never change BMW. Bout to head to the scrapyard and see if I can find a jet black anything with this Piece. If not, already I busted out the tape underneath and superglued it to the tape and it held at "highway speeds" for at 2.5 hour drive... I think using the painters tape I used is sketchy af though so I will be scotch taping it at some point so I can go back to dropping the top while I try to get a permanent solution.

On the plus side it "seems" like this is used on the All E93, F33, and F83 models. Same piece of silly breakable, movable, plastic from the 3 series, 4 series, M3, and M4. If I go with the scrapyard method I will let you guys know how it turns out. I know they have one "black" (not sure if jarez or jet black tho) 328i vert at my local yard and may try to see what they sell that piece for.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 09:11 PM   #34
modulated
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AzBlack/Black F83

Garage List
2015 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2014 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2007 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Someone had asked why you can't just buy the ~$15 roof rail mounting kit clips (the clips that hold the ends of the springs) instead of replacing the whole molding piece. This was the answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB F83 View Post
It's a bit hard to explain verbally, but there are two tabs molded into the molding that are what the clips "clip" over. The molding being loose is almost always because those tabs have been broken off the back side of the molding, so the clips have nothing to grab onto to capture the spring that provides the force to hold it down.

New clips would have nowhere to go. The link is to a picture in my gallery that shows these tabs intact. 4 sets of tabs, 2 little tab legs each. A clip goes over each pair.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/al...ictureid=77546

I'll try and find a break later today to go out to the garage and take some pics of intact clips/springs on mine.
I'm going to try supergluing one of the mounting kit clips onto my existing molding instead of replacing the whole molding. 3 of my 4 clips are intact, so I'm hoping to just find a way to hold the one spring end down. If that doesn't work I'm going to try to duct tape the spring flat against the molding using multiple small pieces of duct tape, wish me luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 11:02 AM   #35
tmtucker1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BWM 328i Convertible MSpt

Which Side Is Needed?

I had the spring pop up out of the channel and began to start scratching the roof. I was able to get the thing off easily enough without breaking anything, but when I got the spring back where it needed to be and started attaching the springs, all of those clips broke off.

I'm ordering a full set painted the stock black sapphire pearl color. I'd be willing to sell and ship any of the pieces I don't need when I get them. I only need the driver's side and only the center section.

Right now, I'm driving it around without moving the top and without the molding in place.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 05:42 AM   #36
simonjo
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtucker1 View Post
I had the spring pop up out of the channel and began to start scratching the roof. I was able to get the thing off easily enough without breaking anything, but when I got the spring back where it needed to be and started attaching the springs, all of those clips broke off.

I'm ordering a full set painted the stock black sapphire pearl color. I'd be willing to sell and ship any of the pieces I don't need when I get them. I only need the driver's side and only the center section.

Right now, I'm driving it around without moving the top and without the molding in place.
Hi mate, I’m from down under and need a left side trim (my passenger side your drivers side). Any chance you have one spare left?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 06:05 PM   #37
Bburk21
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtucker1 View Post

I am in need of the passenger side. Do you still have that additional hardware available for sale?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 09:46 AM   #38
Packard42
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Broke again

Last year I replaced the right side molding after the tabs broke off and the spring bent and scratched the paint. I bought the one piece I needed off eBay and I bought a used hinge. Had the dealer bodyshop paint it to match and had them install. Put the roof down maybe three times and the tabs broke and the spring was bent again. Needless to say I'm not happy.
So I bought another new piece and another hinge part. I was wondering if the springs being able to move right to left on the shaft too much has anything to do with the failure. Already guessing the tabs break off because of the weak plastic and exposure to the sun over time.
I was thinking of using epoxy to glue in a small "L" shaped metal piece between the tabs as well as placing some nylon 3/8" washers on either side of each spring. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0