Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

01-20-2018, 12:35 AM   #1
Zermatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Avoiding damage to rims when mounting & balancing

I recently spent $225 to mount some snow tires on new 18" BBS rims at 425 Motorsports as opposed to $80 at my local tire shop believing that the work rendered would be top notch. I was incredibly disappointed that their install method left deep claw marks on the inside of the rims.

I know tire mounting can be done without clamping the wheel from the inside causing superficial damage to the inside rim from the claw indentations. And Ive seen where if not done with enough force, the rim spins causing the clamps to scratch around the inside rim resulting in even more damage.

I need to find another shop next time but is there any specific tire industry lingo that reflects a tire mounting method that does not cause this superficial/atheistic damage? I know good operator technique can limit or perhaps even avoid this damage but I prefer to find a shop that uses a non-clamping equipment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

they didnt install rubber covers. my shop had fresh rubber covers and wraps them in electrical tape as well. zero issue
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

You need to find shops that have touchless mounters, or go to a shop that actually takes their time to cover up the metal to metal contacts with rubber. I prefer the touchless regardless.

Appreciate 2