ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-03-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
M3hf80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

2016 M4 software updates, car pulls to the right etc

Hi all,

I've been reading numerous posts on how dealership can update our cars softwares to the most current software. Such as steering, throttle, suspension etc.

What are some of the updates you guys have done? I want to go to my dealership and tell them exactly which updates I need, what are the throttle, steering updates? I'm aware of the SIB update but didn't do it at the time because they wanted to charge me for an alignment before and wouldn't take my alignment specs from this Indy shop I go to.

Please chime in! My car currently pulls to the right and it's bothering the crap out of me. I want to at least get my car updated before going the camber plate route. Same time looking to get all the other software updates as well.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
X.X.I.V
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Yep been there before
There's a few threads created about this issue and the way the DSC kicks in early. Had the car updated by the dealer after I told them a few issues it was having.
Took a week and a puma case but was approved and it was done in 8 hrs
The latest Version transforms the car
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 11:59 PM   #3
M3hf80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X.X.I.V View Post
Yep been there before
There's a few threads created about this issue and the way the DSC kicks in early. Had the car updated by the dealer after I told them a few issues it was having.
Took a week and a puma case but was approved and it was done in 8 hrs
The latest Version transforms the car
What did you get done exactly? Please shed some light haha
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

There are no pick and choose updates at dealer; it is an update or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hf80 View Post
Hi all,

I've been reading numerous posts on how dealership can update our cars softwares to the most current software. Such as steering, throttle, suspension etc.

What are some of the updates you guys have done? I want to go to my dealership and tell them exactly which updates I need, what are the throttle, steering updates? I'm aware of the SIB update but didn't do it at the time because they wanted to charge me for an alignment before and wouldn't take my alignment specs from this Indy shop I go to.

Please chime in! My car currently pulls to the right and it's bothering the crap out of me. I want to at least get my car updated before going the camber plate route. Same time looking to get all the other software updates as well.

Thanks all!

Last edited by Encanto; 09-04-2019 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
M3hf80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If there are no pick and choose then how would I have my dealer update my software?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #6
Buckeye///M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP

They will reflash the ECU with the latest software. You can't pick options (as stated). I have also heard that unless you have an issue with the performance of your car they will not do it (at least not for free). The ECU is not like your phone where you can just 'update' to the latest software with the latest release.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hf80 View Post
If there are no pick and choose then how would I have my dealer update my software?
One thing has nothing to do with the other. The update is for the whole car modules.

Your car must have an issue that may be corrected by a software update for the dealer to update the software of your car as a warranty claim. Your dealer or BMWNA make the determination.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 10:49 PM   #8
991dc5
Private
Rep
Drives: DC5

I would try to find a local guy who can update your dme/tcu and other modules. The newer dme updates can potentially lock your ecu which makes it hard to get a tune. Mine was recently done at codemycar and it was a long long process (4+ hours) and he allowed me to choose what modules or even all the modules, however I just went with the more crucial ones. I updated my dme/tcu/fuel pump/steering/dsc that's all I can remember from the top of my head. Steering/dme/tcu made a big difference (I was on the original 2015 software for everything). Engagement of the dct definitely smoother at stop and go saw a big improvement. Also smoother downshifts.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:21 AM   #9
M3hf80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991dc5 View Post
I would try to find a local guy who can update your dme/tcu and other modules. The newer dme updates can potentially lock your ecu which makes it hard to get a tune. Mine was recently done at codemycar and it was a long long process (4+ hours) and he allowed me to choose what modules or even all the modules, however I just went with the more crucial ones. I updated my dme/tcu/fuel pump/steering/dsc that's all I can remember from the top of my head. Steering/dme/tcu made a big difference (I was on the original 2015 software for everything). Engagement of the dct definitely smoother at stop and go saw a big improvement. Also smoother downshifts.
I'm dropping off the car tomorrow morning at my dealership for them to do an alignment and update the car, should I have them avoid doing the update?
Appreciate 0